Options

Babymetal...J-pop fused with heavy metal

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Not to mention people will vomit hate over the likes of savile and rolfie harris but the endless stream of young sexualised girls is all ok. Just watch "Hit me baby one more time" and tell me that they never intended a young school girl to be sexy. Its the hypocrisy.

While I'm not really a fan of Babymetal beyond the fact they're something a bit different and have some catchy choruses, I don't think you've watched a single of their videos if you think they're sexualised. They are fully clothed at all times and I don't think they wear anything sexually suggestive at all. The videos are a world away from the likes of Rihanna etc.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Also, if it was 3 fat birds who were not great looking would anyone care? or 3 females who just dressed in the heavy metal dress code (t shirt with band name on, jeans, sneakers/flats/hitops/boots)? or what if it was 3 dudes who couldnt sing like these cannot? No one would care. But because they are dressed like school girls its all awesome.

Not to mention people will vomit hate over the likes of savile and rolfie harris but the endless stream of young sexualised girls is all ok. Just watch "Hit me baby one more time" and tell me that they never intended a young school girl to be sexy. Its the hypocrisy.

If only there was a Metal band made up of 'three fat birds', that would be far more interesting.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Why do so many of their detractors sound so angry?

For me, it's because people are simply passionate in what they listen to and like and I have to respect that. Sure, I have a never ending desire to tease genre purists because they're just that - genre purists - but when it comes down to it, they're as passionate about what they listen to and like as i am.

If I was being a pedant, i'd rather they say "I think it's shit" rather than a blanket declaration that "it's just shit" but that's by the by, as they say.

Me, I love Babymetal. It's one of the most creative albums I've heard in years and I certainly intend to follow the band to see if they can maintain that level.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    For me, it's because people are simply passionate in what they listen to and like and I have to respect that. Sure, I have a never ending desire to tease genre purists because they're just that - genre purists - but when it comes down to it, they're as passionate about what they listen to and like as i am.

If I was being a pedant, i'd rather they say "I think it's shit" rather than a blanket declaration that "it's just shit" but that's by the by, as they say.

Me, I love Babymetal. It's one of the most creative albums I've heard in years and I certainly intend to follow the band to see if they can maintain that level.

I understand being passionate about what you like .I don't understand being so bothered about what other people like, but each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand being passionate about what you like .I don't understand being so bothered about what other people like, but each to their own.

It's all part of the same thing i think. I think some people would see something like Babymetal as somewhat of a bastardization of "their" genre so it bothers them that people listening to it aren't actually listening to "real" metal.

But then if Babymetal serves as somewhat of a gateway in to "real" metal then isn't that a good thing ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all part of the same thing i think. I think some people would see something like Babymetal as somewhat of a bastardization of "their" genre so it bothers them that people listening to it aren't actually listening to "real" metal.

But then if Babymetal serves as somewhat of a gateway in to "real" metal then isn't that a good thing ?

That's the thing isn't it, it isn't 'their' genre, I know that's probably why you put it in commas :p I see this on last.fm sometimes with people squabbling over genres, I feel like saying, gawd, just enjoy the music or don't, does it really matter what category it is in? It doesn't affect your music in any way. Some music is just more difficult to catagorise and that's no bad thing, case in point :cool:

I like tons of metal bands. Most of the music I like is metal (or distantly related to it :D), though I do like a wide variety of genres. To me, metal was always more about pushing the envelope anyway, and I think this is new and different and does that for me. I'm not really bothered if it gets people into metal either to be honest, I just know I like it. I can like this and Opeth, Amorphis, Tool, Katatonia, Therion etc... too. Mind you some of those are probably the type of odd, genre fusing bands that'd annoy the genre purists too. Oh well :p
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason for that is that a very high percentage of the threads in this music section seem to be created by record company PR staff who are being paid to manipulate social media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I think the reason for that is that a very high percentage of the threads in this music section seem to be created by record company PR staff who are being paid to manipulate social media.

Ted, are you listening? :D
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have been suspicious at times with all the sales figures that get quoted. But I least I know I'm not one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I have been suspicious at times with all the sales figures that get quoted. But I least I know I'm not one of them.

Yeah, all that sales figures stuff is a bit weird. I'm always thinking, who gives a toss? I think some people do seem to care how much their favourite pop act is selling though.

You get a similar thing with 'new video' type threads. Something else I'm not arsed about, I just get the album when it comes out.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Are they as good as The Cycle Sluts From Hell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Gigi4 – and she's trying so hard :D
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather listen to Jedward.

Me too!
    But gave baby metal a watch rather fun having so many musical styles in one song!
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing isn't it, it isn't 'their' genre, I know that's probably why you put it in commas :p I see this on last.fm sometimes with people squabbling over genres, I feel like saying, gawd, just enjoy the music or don't, does it really matter what category it is in? It doesn't affect your music in any way. Some music is just more difficult to catagorise and that's no bad thing, case in point :cool:

I like tons of metal bands. Most of the music I like is metal (or distantly related to it :D), though I do like a wide variety of genres. To me, metal was always more about pushing the envelope anyway, and I think this is new and different and does that for me. I'm not really bothered if it gets people into metal either to be honest, I just know I like it. I can like this and Opeth, Amorphis, Tool, Katatonia, Therion etc... too. Mind you some of those are probably the type of odd, genre fusing bands that'd annoy the genre purists too. Oh well :p

I have never understood the whole thing about "genre purists" either, especially when it comes to Metal.

Metal as a genre now covers such a vast array of influences that to me there is no such thing as "pure" metal, and that is based on being a fan of the genre since the late 70s. Most metal bands encompass numerous "sub-genres" so they could never be described as being a "pure" metal band.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood the whole thing about "genre purists" either, especially when it comes to Metal.

Metal as a genre now covers such a vast array of influences that to me there is no such thing as "pure" metal (shouldn't that be base metal?), and that is based on being a fan of the genre since the late 70s. Most metal bands encompass numerous "sub-genres" (do you mean alloys?) so they could never be described as being a "pure" metal band.

As above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above.

Your point being? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than start a new thread...

Is anyone else going to see Babymetal at Wembley Arena on Saturday?
  • Options
    PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than start a new thread...

Is anyone else going to see Babymetal at Wembley Arena on Saturday?

I'll be there.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    The new album Metal Resistance is out tomorrow.

This is the lead single Karate - http://youtu.be/GvD3CHA48pA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    The new album Metal Resistance is out tomorrow.

This is the lead single Karate - http://youtu.be/GvD3CHA48pA

It's "out" already if you wanted a preview listen - a 'try before you buy' if you will ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Awadama Fever" .. :o

Wow!
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    It's "out" already if you wanted a preview listen - a 'try before you buy' if you will ;)

I thought as much, but I'm going to be good! :D Just from Karate and The One you can see the progression to a more maturer sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought as much, but I'm going to be good! :D Just from Karate and The One you can see the progression to a more maturer sound.

I'm not as good as you :)

Mature sound is spot on - there's an honest to goodness mid-tempo "rock" ballad on the album !
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many Metal fans will actively seek out other J-Pop music now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm going to be good as well but I agree, the two tracks released so far, along with Road of Resistance show a real progression to a more mature sound.

Classic rock have given it 10/10 and I think many more reviewers will follow suit, there does seem to be a really positive feeling about this new album.

We'll be in Block S6 but I have read this week that everyone will have a great view no matter where they are.