Does the celeb change our perception of the pro?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Example: Last year I couldn't stand Natalie, but this year I actually think she's pretty great. I think it might be down to liking the partnership with Scott more than the partnership with Ricky.
So it got me thinking - have you ever done a complete 180 on a pro and was it because of the celeb they were partnered with?

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    Example: Last year I couldn't stand Natalie, but this year I actually think she's pretty great. I think it might be down to liking the partnership with Scott more than the partnership with Ricky.
    So it got me thinking - have you ever done a complete 180 on a pro and was it because of the celeb they were partnered with?

Camilla and Tom. I couldn't stand Camilla and then all of a sudden I got her:) (and then she went:().

The other one: I loved Erin with Julian, I hated Erin with Colin (still remember those two bitching about Zoe's ten), but then with Willi and all her other partners since, I really loved her.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pro certainly changes my perception of the celeb. Can't stand Natalie, couldn't stand Ricky and now Scott. :p

Also never liked Ola before Cola, she's my fave pro now :D
  • ormsterormster Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Wasn't fussed about Natalie with Ricky, now I'm completely in love with her.
  • -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you, hated Natalie last series with Ricky and this series I love her!
    Brilliant girl :)
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Another one who wasn't a Natalie fan but is now because of Scott. I just love her this year.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Can't stand Scott, but have warmed at lot to Natalie this year
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Camilla and Tom. I couldn't stand Camilla and then all of a sudden I got her:) (and then she went:().

The other one: I loved Erin with Julian, I hated Erin with Colin (still remember those two bitching about Zoe's ten), but then with Willi and all her other partners since, I really loved her.

That's why I went off Erin too - I thought that was unnecessary and it came across as jealousy. It's easy to find fault with any dance if you try - in that sense, no dance is truly worth a ten. I notice she didn't object when she received tens for her gimmicky Paso with Austin :rolleyes: Rant over!

She does seem OK overall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly think Brendan and James benefited from having celebrities they had to look after a bit (Jo and Cherie respectively). I liked both of them much more after they stopped behaving like yobs and showed they could be gentlemen when they wanted to be :D
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here.

Other pros I like regardless of the celebrity they're with! It was seeing Natalie on the celeb and pro tour dancing with Ian that changed my opinion of her, and I still like her even though I really dislike Scott! And the pro tour also made me like Aliona when I hadn't previously :)
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Natalie last year but now i've really warmed to her,

I never got Ola until her partnership with Chris last year.
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Same here.

Other pros I like regardless of the celebrity they're with! It was seeing Natalie on the celeb and pro tour dancing with Ian that changed my opinion of her, and I still like her even though I really dislike Scott! And the pro tour also made me like Aliona when I hadn't previously :)

Absolutly ditto!!!

JJ:):)
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James.

Didn't like him at all to begin with, but changed my mind completely when he partnered Cherie on the SCD Tour and was a total gent:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    The pro certainly changes my perception of the celeb. Can't stand Natalie, couldn't stand Ricky and now Scott. :p

Also never liked Ola before Cola, she's my fave pro now :D

Agreed. Really do not like Natalie, and thus I have no desire to support Scott, nor did I Ricky. I remember going into to the launch show thinking that whomever Aliona got I would support... the rest as they say...

Vincent's a strange one. I loved him with Rachel Stevens, I think she humbled him somewhat, but with Natalie and Felicity I dunno. I don't dislike him, he's pretty funny at times, he just leaves me a little cold and I certainly don't find the warmth in him he had with Rachel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure... I can't stand Aliona, and I couldn't stand Camilla either - so I think it was them that actually altered my view of their various celebrities.
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Dup post
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, I am afraid I still find Natalie's "best partner," "Best Dance Evah!," "hardest dance," "fastest dance" totally unconvincing. Scott too by the sounds of it, if you've heard his "Really??" in response to Nat's superlatives :D

Nat is a great choreographer and teacher though, so I don't care if she puts me to sleep off the dancefloor.

The celeb who changed my perception of a pro significantly was Chris. I had admired Ola's clever choreography in previous series, but she seemed quite cold to me. With Chris she was warm, witty and her strict side was a joy to watch because he wasnt dominated by it. Yes I know the cheesy "Mrs Jordan" and "Olachops" got a little grating eventually, but their coupling was the most genuine of any I have seen and brought out the best in both of them.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,424
    Forum Member
    nope, still hate Natalie, will never like her. Never liked Camilla and never will
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Aliona last year she was as Len Goodman put it "to much me and not enough we", but I like her partnership with Matt.

I really disliked James for the first couple of series's but he has mellowed and has shown that although he is very competitive he also has a sense of fun!
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James.

Didn't like him at all to begin with, but changed my mind completely when he partnered Cherie on the SCD Tour and was a total gent:)

I agree about James and Cherie. I thought she brought out the best in him. For an older woman/younger man partnership, I much prefer James/Cherie to James/Pamela.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I really disliked James in the first series he was in. I can't remember his partner's name now (I'd never heard of her before and haven't since!), but I thought he was arrogant and a bit of a bully. He was totally different the next year, partnered with Gabby Logan, and every year since. He is one of my favourite pros now! :)

Mind you, that might have had something to do with the editing of the show, rather than his partner - I now think in his first year, he was frustrated that his partner seemed to have no interest or commitment in SCD (skipping training, turning up hungover, etc), but of course none of that came out until after the series had finished.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    I agree about James and Cherie. I thought she brought out the best in him. For an older woman/younger man partnership, I much prefer James/Cherie to James/Pamela.

I'd always found James to be like a second-rate Brendan Cole with all the strops and everything, but when he was with Cherie he seemed so dignified, but still with the same fiery cheeky personality, and he's grown on me year after year.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    I didn't like Aliona last year she was as Len Goodman put it "to much me and not enough we", but I like her partnership with Matt.

I really disliked James for the first couple of series's but he has mellowed and has shown that although he is very competitive he also has a sense of fun!

Matt didn't manage to change Aliona's perception for me. I've given up giving her the chance to prove she can dance a 'we' and not a 'me', but so far, except the Samba, she just disappointed me week on week.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind Natalie last year but!, cant stand her this year!, or Scott, can't stand all that face gurning he does!, it's not a bit funny to me!.....

Ola i never liked, until last year when she danced with Chris and i completely changed my mind about her!......:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »

I don't think that's necessarily down to the celeb. I wanted Ricky to win last year, yet didn't like Natalie much. This year I don't like Scott much, yet I am liking Natalie a lot more. I think Natalie came across as overly competitive last year, and has toned it down this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    I've never liked James whatever pro he's with

used to like Flavia but went off her with matt

never liked camilla but did with tom

matthew and alesha were perfect but he was a bit dull with others

erin and colin were magic but she goes through the motions with the duffers

so yes!