Redundancy payments

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
We had a round of voluntary redundancies a while ago. Someone applied for it and took it but didn't say that she had got another job which was more lucrative but it has slipped out. Could HR take the money off her?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Redundancy has nothing to do with getting another job. Have they accepted her redundancy?
  • Dr KimDr Kim Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh redundancy is redundancy, you get paid no matter what
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    We had a round of voluntary redundancies a while ago. Someone applied for it and took it but didn't say that she had got another job which was more lucrative but it has slipped out. Could HR take the money off her?

Has she been accepted for redundancy? If so then there is nothing they can do.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What possible grounds could they have? Once an offer is made and accepted, that's it. The expectation will be that people are looking for other jobs.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Obviously not.

And good luck to them, too.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redundancy pay is equal to approximately 1 weeks wage for every full year of your employment. Were you expecting her to support herself forever on this payout?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to elaborate a little, for the OP - Some people do plan to leave a company and somehow get lucky and get made redundant just before they hand their notice in which, I'm guessing, is what has happened here. It happens, and is just a case of 'winning at life'...

(Unless the OP means they have been made redundant and then found a better paid job, in which case I struggle to see what they think could be wrong with this - It's what you're supposed to do)
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    Redundancy pay is equal to approximately 1 weeks wage for every full year of your employment. Were you expecting her to support herself forever on this payout?

after 40 it goes up to a week and a half per years service :)
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member

This is for.the public sector? I got about a years pay for 6 yrs service last year! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 days until i am officially redundant :(
    We were told that if we got employment before our finish date then we would not get a payout - obviously no one got a job within these dates!
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after 40 it goes up to a week and a half per years service :)

Sorry, could you clarify please? 40 years service or aged 40? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was 41? It is for the company i work for, thought it was government guidelined at 41yrs old
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_10029836

entitlement will depend on what your contract states, but the statutory minimums are at the links above and below

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_174330

Statutory redundancy pay

The calculation for your statutory redundancy pay is based on:
    • how long you have been continuously employed
    • your age
    • your weekly pay, up to a certain limit (£430 current maximum)
    You will get:
    • 0.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was under 22
    • 1 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was 22 or above, but under 41
    • 1.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was 41 or above
    The maximum number of years that can be taken into account is 20 years. You can't be given statutory redundancy pay for more than 20 years' employment.
    For example: If you are 45, your weekly pay is £430 per week and you have completed 15 years’ full service, you will receive £7,310 statutory redundancy pay.
    Step one: 1.5 weeks x 4 years full service when you were 41 or above = 6 weeks
    Step two: 1 week x 11 years service when you were under 41 = 11 weeks
    Step three: 6 weeks + 11 weeks = 17 weeks x £430 (max weekly wage) = £7,310 statutory redundancy pay
    The online calculator can help work out how much statutory redundancy pay you might be entitled to.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Kim wrote: »
    Yeh redundancy is redundancy, you get paid no matter what
    At my last job (over 20 years ago now) one bloke came into work with a resignation letter. He tried to hand it in but was told that there was an important announcement coming and he'd have to wait. The important announcement was mass redundancies so he just pocketed the letter and phoned his new employer to say that he could start work earlier than he expected.

Lucky bugger. To be fair though he bought us all drinks and none of us begrudged him it :D

Since I've been with my current employer over 20 years (ignoring take overs and mergers which the law does) I'm not going to resign any time soon :)
    Statutory is, yes. But anyone in a career with more than a few years should try and get more. If/when I'm ever given the shove my employer is going to want me to sign non-disclosure and/or non-compete letters. Since that's more than the law requires they'll have to pay more than the law requires to get me to do it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is for.the public sector? I got about a years pay for 6 yrs service last year! :)

no this is private sector not head in the clouds public sector
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    i thought it was 41? It is for the company i work for, thought it was government guidelined at 41yrs old

you are right 41 i stand corrected and also i though it was a week per year before and a week and a half after, according to the web site its half a week per year before and week and a half after

but i remember getting a week per year last time i was made redundant when i was under 40, i suppose it depends how much of a tight arse boss you have
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    12 days until i am officially redundant :(
    We were told that if we got employment before our finish date then we would not get a payout - obviously no one got a job within these dates!

that's against the law and none of their business especially if you start the job after the 12 days are up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, could you clarify please? 40 years service or aged 40? :)

at age 41
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH was made redundant 4 years ago he had been at his place for 2 years, he got a very good pay out including a bonus in the 'outstanding category' weirdly enough - straightforward last in first out regardless of skill and the day he got made redundant had 4 other job offers as long as he didn't work during his 'gardening leave' he was able to take the money.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously private companies are able to set whatever rates they like for their redundancy payments, if they are desperate for people to go in order to cut long term costs they tend to offer generous payouts.

When the University last offered a payment to trim staffing it offered a years salary (untaxed) and that was whether you had worked here for 40 years or 1 year.

The only reason they can take it away from you once you get a new job is if you get a new job within the same company, because they haven't then made you redundant. :p
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any decent firm will give workers in line for redundancy time off to attend interviews for other jobs,
    It wont affect you redundancy payment but i know of one case were someone earmarked for redundancy bought a new home
    by the seaside to retire early, the company decided not to let him go .dropped himself right in it.
    No problems looking for a new job,don't commit yourself to moving till all the redundancy papers are signed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    you are right 41 i stand corrected and also i though it was a week per year before and a week and a half after, according to the web site its half a week per year before and week and a half after

but i remember getting a week per year last time i was made redundant when i was under 40, i suppose it depends how much of a tight arse boss you have

It's only half a week for the period before you are 22 years old, then 1 week up to age 41 then one and half after that.

You will get:

0.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was under 22
    1 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was 22 or above, but under 41
    1.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where your age was 41 or above
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member

Head in the clouds? :?
    Forum Member

Depends who you work for.;)
    Forum Member

I got 3 weeks for each year working in the private sector. My wife got 4.5.