Do or have anyone made their own yoghurt?

Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
Forum Member
My Turkish MIL does ( she lives in Turkey btw) but it's not exactly low fat. Is it worth doing? Plus, how & what's any advice?:)

Comments

• ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I made it years ago in NZ
    at that time you needed to buy a pint sized glass milk bottle of plain yoghurt

then If I remember correctly you had to boil up ? or heat a pint of whole milk
    then at some point you add this to a quarter bottle of pre - made yoghurt
    then leave it wrapped up and in the airing warm cupboard overnight
    Then put the new yoghurt into the fridge in the mornings
    I made it like this regularly at the time and it was yummy and the same as the shop bought yoghurt
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I made it years ago in NZ
    at that time you needed to buy a pint sized glass milk bottle of plain yoghurt

then If I remember correctly you had to boil up ? or heat a pint of whole milk
    then at some point you add this to a quarter bottle of pre - made yoghurt
    then leave it wrapped up and in the airing warm cupboard overnight
    Then put the new yoghurt into the fridge in the mornings
    I made it like this regularly at the time and it was yummy and the same as the shop bought yoghurt

Aww, thanks for your answer - I really want to give it a go.:) I think I need to check out temperatures from what I( little) know.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I make my own with a yoghurt maker.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to make it in a thermos flask. Worked with full fat milk, but was too thin when I tried semi-skimmed. IIRC I simply warmed up some milk to lukewarm, added a bit of live yoghurt and then put into a warmed thermos and left for 24 hours.
    I don't eat much yoghurt now so haven't made it in years. You may struggle to find the live youghurt to start it off.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to make it the simple way

I bought a tub of live yoghurt from the supermarket.......most of which I ate but saved a couple of dessert spoonfuls

I brought some milk to the boil and simmered it for a minute of two, let it cool, stuck it into a casserole dish with a lid, put my live youghurt in and stuck it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days......

Got a dishful of yoghurt, most of which I ate ..........etc etc

You can just carry on using a couple of spoonfuls from each batch to start off the next batch.......
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Turkish MIL does ( she lives in Turkey btw) but it's not exactly low fat. Is it worth doing? Plus, how & what's any advice?:)

I am vegetarian and not a huge eater; consequently, I have to get the essential nutrientsin to my body, directly. I cannot recommend Easiyo highly enough. It can be kept, refrigerated, for TWO WEEKS once made. You do need to buy a yoghurt maker. (QVC do starter sets; yoghurtdirect does the maker for £9.99, as opposed to the usual £15-£18). Yoghurtdirect is a brilliant company, whose customer service is first class. Each sachet makes one litre of yoghurt. I find, personally, that, whilst it is recommended to leave the yoghurt in the maker for 9 hours, I have to repeat the procedure. Easy to make, add cold water to the jar, empty sachet in, shake, fill to top with more cold TAP water. Fill the maker with hot water to just over the baffle. Leave until ready, and you're done. Low fat/regular available. If you are into healthy living, this is ideal. I have the greek and honey with - again for health reasons - hemp or flaxseed mixed in, to bulk it up. If you decide to give it a go, let me know how you get on.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go with the Easiyo option as well. Never had a problem with it and there is a good range of flavours and there is the low fat options as well and I think there are the skimmers and "luxury" i.e the whatever and cream range as well. I've just finished a blackcurrant one (which was much nicer than expected and have a jar of Easiyo Vanilla Bean Smoothie in the fridge just now.

Plus if QVC is to be believed it's very adaptable and you can use the Greek ones for making dips and your own soft cheese etc and the sweet ones for frosting and so on.

I love the fact its so easy as the other poster has said there is not much to it and you can forget about it and just get on with doing other stuff. Just don't do what I did and leave it in the maker for 48 hours it seemed ok just couldn't bring myself to eat it. It's also easy to add anything to it. I threw in a few spoonfuls of Alpen into mine the other night
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone left some milk out for a week, that turned to yoghurt
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easyio is an expensive way to make yogurt - buy it from Asda.

I am veggie and make my own - have made is with Alpro soya milk (or drink) but other brands have not set.
    Did buy a non veggie yogurt to start if off (it did not kill me) and then saved some for the next batch which I leave in a wide open necked food flask in a warm place.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I watched Hugh make home made plain yoghurt 2 days ago
    [ on River cottage every day ]
    He said to BOIL the milk to kill any bacteria
    then let it cool to about BATH water temperature
    and use sterilized glassware

the recipe and method he showed us
    is on the River Cottage web site below
    500ml whole milk
    25g dried milk powder
    3 tbsp live, plain whole-milk yoghurt
    METHOD

How to make homemade yoghurt
    1. Pour the milk into a saucepan and whisk in the dried milk powder.
    Put the pan over a medium heat, stand a cooking thermometer in it and stir gently, watching the thermometer carefully, until the temperature reaches 46°C.

2. Take the saucepan off the heat and pour the milk into a warmed mixing bowl.

Check the temperature hasn't gone beyond 46°C.
    If it has, stir the milk until the temperature drops back.
    Whisk in about 2 big tablespoons of the live yoghurt.

The bacteria within it will start to work on the fresh milk, converting it into yoghurt.

3. Cover the bowl with a lid or some cling film, wrap it in a towel and put it somewhere warm - in an airing cupboard or above a radiator are good places.

Alternatively, you can pour the mixture to the TOP- into a warmed, wide-mouthed Thermos flask and seal.

4. Check the yoghurt after 6-8 hours, or leave it overnight.

If it's still runny, leave it wrapped up in the warm for another 1-2 hours.

When it has thickened and looks set, pour it into a clean container, seal and refrigerate.

Homemade yoghurt isn't as thick as commercial varieties. If you'd like a thicker finish, you can strain the yoghurt through a muslin-lined sieve over a bowl in the fridge for a few hours

You can continue to keep some yoghurt back each time ..to repeat this process
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have!! It was very nice !!! I bought a retro Salton yogurt maker from a charity shop for a fiver and it works like a dream !!:D
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I am vegetarian and not a huge eater; consequently, I have to get the essential nutrientsin to my body, directly. I cannot recommend Easiyo highly enough. It can be kept, refrigerated, for TWO WEEKS once made. You do need to buy a yoghurt maker. (QVC do starter sets; yoghurtdirect does the maker for £9.99, as opposed to the usual £15-£18). Yoghurtdirect is a brilliant company, whose customer service is first class. Each sachet makes one litre of yoghurt. I find, personally, that, whilst it is recommended to leave the yoghurt in the maker for 9 hours, I have to repeat the procedure. Easy to make, add cold water to the jar, empty sachet in, shake, fill to top with more cold TAP water. Fill the maker with hot water to just over the baffle. Leave until ready, and you're done. Low fat/regular available. If you are into healthy living, this is ideal. I have the greek and honey with - again for health reasons - hemp or flaxseed mixed in, to bulk it up. If you decide to give it a go, let me know how you get on.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. :)

I am going to take the info & look out the ones you suggest and buy one - it's about the only gadget I haven't got! We do eat a lot of yoghurt tho' so I'd like to try baking my own.
    I will report back even if it takes me a week or so to get on, r look around town for one.

Gosh I need another walk in pantry for my gadgets - I love them! Hubby won't key me use my coconut grater tho' as he reckons I'd end up in A&E !

I love my ' spirali' by Lutch ATM. Fab for salads or when on a diet! A quarter of pasta bulked out with courgette pasta dropped in the pan just before the pasta is cooked is brilliant - or for soups.:)