Nails keep breaking - Any advice?

biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When my nails grow to a couple of mm beyond the ends of my fingers they split from the side inwards. Sometimes the split happens below the end of my finger which is very painful and means I have to wear a plaster on it until it gets long enough to cut.

Any ideas why this may be happening? A vitamin deficiency, maybe?
Anybody know what I can do to stop it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Mine have recently started to peel, never happened before. I've ordered some Sally Hansen stuff from superdrug (they have buy one get one half price on nails care atm) to *supposedly* stop it happening, so they will likely do some sort of strengthener too.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Ouch, that sounds sore. I used to have that a lot when I was very young. I don't know if it actually has any effect but eat a cube of packet jelly every day. My mum used to tell me to do that. Plenty veggies works wonders for me as I can have brittle nails, potatoes are especialy good for some reason.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Get gel sculptures on there girl and that will fix it
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Ouch, that sounds sore. I used to have that a lot when I was very young. I don't know if it actually has any effect but eat a cube of packet jelly every day. My mum used to tell me to do that. Plenty veggies works wonders for me as I can have brittle nails, potatoes are especialy good for some reason.

Thanks, Ella. I don't eat potatoes very often actually, so maybe there's something in that.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Get gel sculptures on there girl and that will fix it

Lol, no way!
    I've seen women not even being able to pick up their loyalty card because of their stupid tallons.
    I usually hand the loyalty card back to customers but I sometimes put it down when the customer has those ridiculous nails, just for a laugh :D
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had absolutely awful nails, peeling, splitting and breaking. I found a YouTube video of someone using the Nailtiques formula 2 and thought I'd give it a try. My nails are looking (almost!) perfect now :)

Edit- Here's the video.
    Forum Member
    Lol, no way!
    I've seen women not even being able to pick up their loyalty card because of their stupid tallons.
    I usually hand the loyalty card back to customers but I sometimes put it down when the customer has those ridiculous nails, just for a laugh :D

Mine are short and they work fine. As long as you don't have those long talons, whether gel or just simply painted, then you should be able to pick things up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    To get something like gels is good advice I think; gels doesn't necessarily mean extensions or sculptures, if you're not a fan of that look. Brisa light is something relatively new on the market. I have it under shellac and my nails have never been so strong and long.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would start by taking a multivitamin every day and drinking lots of water. Improve your diet and get the nutrients you need. You'll notice better skin, healthier hair, perfect nails. Just common sense. Whilst that kicks into action, I recommend what posters say above and also make sure you let your nails breathe... No nail varnish and keep applying moisturisers. Get them shiny and looking good, then after a week of leaving your nails free, do what you want. Loads of women go about every day with polished nails, it's like wearing socks 24/7 and never taking them off for more than 10 minutes a week. Can't be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Jelly cubes. Just buy a packet of Jelly and eat the cubes instead of actually making the jelly. It works wonders on nails.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would start by taking a multivitamin every day and drinking lots of water. Improve your diet and get the nutrients you need. You'll notice better skin, healthier hair, perfect nails. Just common sense. Whilst that kicks into action, I recommend what posters say above and also make sure you let your nails breathe... No nail varnish and keep applying moisturisers. Get them shiny and looking good, then after a week of leaving your nails free, do what you want. Loads of women go about every day with polished nails, it's like wearing socks 24/7 and never taking them off for more than 10 minutes a week. Can't be good.

I'd agree with all of that, except the breathing part. Nails can absorb through the surface, but nail polish per se doesn't harm them. It depends what type of nail polish you use - lots of the cheap ones have all sorts of nasties like formaldehyde, tuolene and so on, which can be absorbed into your nail bed. If you use a polish that's 3-free (or 5-free or whatever, ie doesn't have those chemicals) then if can often be better than no nail varnish at all, as it protects from things like water, soap, scratches and so on. I wear nail varnish almost all the time, and my nails are far, far healthier now than they were a couple of years ago, before I started being obsessed with painting them. For me, the worst culprits were washing dishes, soaking in the bath, and gardening.

I swear nowadays on good diet, drinking lots of water, and using OPI Nail Envy as a base coat ALL the time. I use it every time I paint my nails, and if for some reason I'm not painting them with colour, I use Nail Envy on its own. They make different versions - peeling nails, brittle, flaky etc - and I've found it really really helps me. My nails grow very long now without breaking, and are really strong.

One of the worst things for nails is soaking in water, especially hot water - it can make nails very soft and absorbent, especially at the free edges, and that can make layers peel off and flake, or any tiny splits or chips at the sides can then get bigger when water gets in. When my nails are long I paint Nail Envy under the tips as well, so that all parts of the nail are protected.
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I second Nail Envy.

My nails started splitting a lot after a year of being obsessed with nail polish. I was applying it at least twice a week and practising at other times. Then I was removing it with a really harsh polish remover. I applied NE for a few months and all okay after that.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I third Nail Envy.

Four months in and they are rock hard. It's worth every single penny.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Lol, no way!
    Bet they struggle to enter their PIN too ^_^
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    Bet they struggle to enter their PIN too ^_^

You clearly have never had decent false nails which cause none of these issues.
  • Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use nailtiques protein 2! Its amazing, it costs £10 off eBay!

Honestly its so good, well worth the hype.

You put one coat on every day for 4 days, then remove it and start again.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Nail Envy. It's by far the best of all I've tried.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion is to not touch them
    I can only go by what works for my nails. Mine are very long and very strong - they actually need cutting quite badly as they are too long (my longest one is 2cm from cuticle to tip)
    However I second the no nail polish and don't file them as this weakens them - once they get over a certain length they kind of shape themselves
    I am going to a wedding next week and I will paint them - guaranteed by the weekend I would have broken one ! happens every time !
    Also I'm always putting on Nivea cream !
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nail Envy works for me too.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick heads up. If anyone is interested in Nail envy, Demons Beauty have it at 60% off at the moment. £7.75 I think. I've used them before for the very same deal and it all went fine.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Lol, no way!

:D:D:D
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of that, except the breathing part. Nails can absorb through the surface, but nail polish per se doesn't harm them. It depends what type of nail polish you use - lots of the cheap ones have all sorts of nasties like formaldehyde, tuolene and so on, which can be absorbed into your nail bed. If you use a polish that's 3-free (or 5-free or whatever, ie doesn't have those chemicals) then if can often be better than no nail varnish at all, as it protects from things like water, soap, scratches and so on. I wear nail varnish almost all the time, and my nails are far, far healthier now than they were a couple of years ago, before I started being obsessed with painting them. For me, the worst culprits were washing dishes, soaking in the bath, and gardening.

I swear nowadays on good diet, drinking lots of water, and using OPI Nail Envy as a base coat ALL the time. I use it every time I paint my nails, and if for some reason I'm not painting them with colour, I use Nail Envy on its own. They make different versions - peeling nails, brittle, flaky etc - and I've found it really really helps me. My nails grow very long now without breaking, and are really strong.

One of the worst things for nails is soaking in water, especially hot water - it can make nails very soft and absorbent, especially at the free edges, and that can make layers peel off and flake, or any tiny splits or chips at the sides can then get bigger when water gets in. When my nails are long I paint Nail Envy under the tips as well, so that all parts of the nail are protected.

I agree with you to be honest. A lot of people tend to use cheap nail varnishes, or even more expensive ones - some still have the nasties in. I always advise strengthening polishes from OPI, the Nail Envy. Plus it's coloured, so if you want colour as well as a protector, then great. I prefer people left nails free to breathe for a bit before a new application, but if these types of products are used, I can't see an issue.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always buffed my nails. Don't know if that's the reason they are so strong and grow like the devil!
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used Nail Envy and it ruined my nails, instead of making them stronger they started peeling and I never had peeling nails. I've used Sally Hanson Hard as Nails many times in the past and never suffered that problem even though I am a nail biter my nails were always reasonably healthy but weak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, no way!

:D:D:D:D

Oh the shame. I have acrylic nails in a French Manicure and they are actually not that long at all and I really struggle picking things up. When I first had them I could not get the pound coin out of the supermarket trolley and had to ask a very nice man that was passing.. How he laughed at my patheticness :blush:

Try a little dab of vaseline on each nail every night, it worked for me (until I had the acrylics on) and maybe a multi vit every day.