Uni Graduation.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it very emotional on the day (for parents) :blush:

Just been watching a short online clip and filled up just watching it and it was from last yr.

My son graduates the end of July and i have got a lot of stress at the moment with family illness and I feel tearful and emotional.

I am dreading filling up and really crying at the ceremony, as well as watching my son and feeling so proud I know all other emotions will get mixed up with it. Don't want to look slightly neurotic. ;-)

Is it more a joyful event? Do other people cry (they must do) or someone tell me there is a pill you can take that will stop all emotion for a few hours so you can remain in control and not have smeared make up when having your picture taken afterwards. :p

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the numbers of people graduating and how they arrange the order of events.

So if its a large number arranged alphabetically by subject and then alphabetically by name...and your son did zoology and your name is Zebedee chances are you will be asleep by the time it gets to his turn anyway.

Congratulations to your son :)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Of course they do, you won't be the only one dabbing their eyes with a tissue. Just go with it and realise it's the fact your son is now going to be out in the big wide world and you've enabled him to do that whichbmakes it so emotional.
    When we went to my son's Passing Out parade (RAF) last year, we all sat waiting for them to appear, cameras in hand, big smiles on faces. As soon as they appeared round the cornef every last person there burst into tears! Including some Dads who were in uniform because they were already serving. Wondefful day. :)
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recall any tears at my graduation, there might have been some tears of boredom actually because it seemed to drag on forever but everyone seemed really happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Yes I admit I did cry at my daughter's and my eldest son's Graduation and am really sure I will cry at my youngest son's Graduation later in the year. Having never bothered too much at school, I hated it, I was just so proud to see how far my own children had come. Have a great day but pack a couple of tissues just in case. :):)
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the pictures were beforehand, so don't worry about that aspect.
  • cardiffstecardiffste Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Graduation should be a time of joy and celebration for everyone involved; In my experience, everyone has a tear in their eye, cries - but it is all about pride and joy.

Im a university lecturer and always go to graduation to support my students - i always feel immense pride for them, and for their parents. My colleague and I always wolf whistle when our course is announced and loudly applaud every single one of them. It is always great meeting the students and parents afterwards and helping them to celebrate.

Just enjoy yourself, celebrate and feel proud - cry tears of joy if you want to - lots of other people will be too - including lecturers. You have every right to feel proud.
    Forum Member
    cardiffste wrote: »
    Graduation should be a time of joy and celebration for everyone involved; In my experience, everyone has a tear in their eye, cries - but it is all about pride and joy.

Im a university lecturer and always go to graduation to support my students - i always feel immense pride for them, and for their parents. My colleague and I always wolf whistle when our course is announced and loudly applaud every single one of them. It is always great meeting the students and parents afterwards and helping them to celebrate.

Just enjoy yourself, celebrate and feel proud - cry tears of joy if you want to - lots of other people will be too - including lecturers. You have every right to feel proud.

This is a lovely post. :)
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should be at the uni at night time and see first hand the students covered in their own faeces, vomit and urine whilst still vomiting whilst unconscious through consuming cheap drink encouraged by their student union.

That will bring a tear to your eye!
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's my sons graduation on 19th July, I know I will cry, my parents will be there too, my mum will cry too. I know we won't be able to help it but they will be happy tears.

Go, cry with all the other Mums, be proud and enjoy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou everyone. Welling up just reading.

Pictures before.....thank goodness for that. One less worry.

I know I will sob a lot. Sometimes I can just feel a bit teary and it turns into mass hysteria.

Congratulations to all who are graduating or who have already.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should be at the uni at night time and see first hand the students covered in their own faeces, vomit and urine whilst still vomiting whilst unconscious through consuming cheap drink encouraged by their student union.

That will bring a tear to your eye!

Yes because that is what every single student is like /sarcasm.

Most graduations seem to be in July but mine is in late November.
    I'm hoping the ceremony won't be boring and too long. I've been told these things take time!
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Yes because that is what every single student is like /sarcasm.

Most graduations seem to be in July but mine is in late November.
    I'm hoping the ceremony won't be boring and too long. I've been told these things take time!

How frequently does a day in your life come along when you can be proud of yourself and your Mum and Dad can look on with parental adoration? Enjoy it or it'll only be your parents who will.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    How frequently does a day in your life come along when you can be proud of yourself and your Mum and Dad can look on with parental adoration? Enjoy it or it'll only be your parents who will.

Fair enough it'll probably be fine:)
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    my graduation was long and hot(it was the hottest day of the year well in the low 30's) so standing around in robes and a mortar board was not what people wanted, there is an awful lot of standing around and waiting, I actually found the whole thing quite boring if I am honest. Was so glad when I was able to table the robe off.
  • NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Mine is tomorrow, really looking forward to it, third time around for me but this one is the most significant.
    Can't wait to celebrate with my family.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I remember at my Graduation (Royal Albert Hall) was thinking 'don't trip up when you walk out on stage - one girl did of course.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't bother going to my graduation as it never really seemed like that big a deal. Saved the travel, accommodation and robe hire costs (several hundred quid in total I would guess) and still got the certificate!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is tomorrow, really looking forward to it, third time around for me but this one is the most significant.

Congratulations. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
    Forum Member

Have a fantastic day. :)
  • NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Thank you both, that's very sweet x
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hope you had a fabulous time today, congratulations