Options

My 2 year old is running my life!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
I feel at my wits end.

I have a 2 and a half year old boy who is running rings round me. I don't know what to do to stop it. When I tell him off he kicks me and pinches me. If he can't have his own way he screeches at the top of his voice. Sometimes he just screeches!

I feel embarassed that I have no control over my own child. He does what he wants when he wants and no matter what I seem to do he either runs away from me or hurts me or screeches at me. He behaves the same way for my husband.

He never used to be this bad. Before I used to be able to tell him no and he'd stop. He'd cry for a little while then would just stop the naughty thing he is doing. I don't know when he changed. It's doing my head in.

I'm pregnant as well and I'm worried he's going to kick me in the belly and cause me to miscarry.

I've given birth to a devil child.

Any suggestions to help?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good slapped arse was very effective when I was a lad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as helpful as I had hoped for and do you not think I've already tried that. He just laughs at me and I feel like an even worse mother than I obviously am.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Lock him out in the garden if he starts that behaviour. He sounds bored to me and very intelligent. Sounds like he needs to do more creative things.
  • Options
    10past310past3 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want a book called Toddler Taming. The gist of it is that kids learn that they can get away with anything if you let them, so stop giving in. He'll soon get the message, even if there's a few tantrums & histrionics along the way.

The naughty step is a good start. Threaten it, mean it and then do it, and do it every time he misbehaves beyond reasonable toddler levels, with a minute on it for each year of his age. Boundaries, establishment of is the term.

:)
  • Options
    coshamcosham Posts: 5,875
    Forum Member
    Put him in his bedroom shut the door.and stand outside letting him know when he stops misbehaving he can come out,husband will have to be firm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    It's an age thing - he's testing you, even more so because you're pregnant. Be consistent with what is and isn't going to be accepted and when he's good and does listen to you praise him like he's just won Mastermind :D

The whole lashing out thing is bloody awful - and you're right a lot of it comes down to being horrified that you have no control over them. I wouldn't agree with smacking him though tbh - you're trying to show him that it's wrong to smack and he's too young to differentiate between you smacking him for being naughty and him smacking you for being what he perceives to be being naughty as well.

Can you tell when one of these strops is going to hit? Sometimes if you can pre-empt it by totally changing the subject or attracting his attention with something else that the whole tantrum can be avoided. Can you get him to help you with preparations for the baby? Maybe getting him to sing songs to your bump may make him aware of the baby and the need to be gentle with it and also help him feel more involved.

Good luck - they don't call them the terrible twos for nothing :)
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You and your husband both need to be consistent and stand firm, if he's naughty then threaten him with the bedroom/naughty step. He'll obviously think you're joking and do it again and then threaten him if he does it one more time, when he carries on being naughty then you need to actually go through with whatever threat you made.

If you stick him on a naughty step then he will just get straight back off it so without saying anything to him just put him back on there again and again until he gets the message (bit of a battle of wills that one!).

If he hits you though, you need to stop him straight away so grab his arms (don't hurt him!) and no threats this time, just punishment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruth77 wrote: »

Any suggestions to help?

He's Two. They do that apparently.

Click here

It seems like fairly sound advice. Kids of that age start to test boundaries and become frustrated because their minds have usually developed beyone their ability to express themselves verbally. So they want to tell you what they want and how they feel etc but they don't know how to.

One other piece of advice is to remember to think about the good stuff your child does and remind yourself that he isn't all bad. He certainly isn't a devil child!! (But I'd check for horns just incase......):p

Edited to add.....I highly recommend getting down on the floor and throwing a tantrum with him. I tried it and it works a treat!
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use some of those child reins and tie him to something, he'll soon shut up.
  • Options
    Smiling-AngelSmiling-Angel Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ruth,
    My heart goes out to you,I know its a horrible thing to go through.
    Could he be a little jealous of the baby thats due?
    Some little ones behave in this way sometimes,hes kind of telling you that he is still there,maybe hes worried that he will be forgotton and by lashing out then in his own little way he is getting the attention he wants.
    Its just a thought Ruth.
    Dont feel bad about not controlling him hun,it happens to the best of mums.
    Wish I could offer you more advice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    foogirl wrote: »
    One other piece of advice is to remember to think about the good stuff your child does and remind yourself that he isn't all bad. He certainly isn't a devil child!! (But I'd check for horns just incase......):p

That's true - a good tip is to watch him when he's asleep, he'll look adorable then and you'll momentarily forget the bad bits :D
  • Options
    Guru TartGuru Tart Posts: 5,008
    Forum Member
    Instil discipline upon him. What is stopping you?

You don't hit him. You just don't give in to his demands. Simple.
  • Options
    magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better to get control of him now than have him left unchecked and sent home from nursery or school for doing the same. The blessed child has only just exited your womb not 24 months ago. No child is born violent, out of control, with machiavellian tendancies. You need to start some tough love on the blighter - and mean it.
  • Options
    Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Posts: 4,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better to get control of him now than have him left unchecked and sent home from nursery or school for doing the same. The blessed child has only just exited your womb not 24 months ago. No child is born violent, out of control, with machiavellian tendancies. You need to start some tough love on the blighter - and mean it.

...are you really only 14?? :eek: :D
  • Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    You have my sympathy, went through this with my son and I found it very hard to cope with. He's 3 now and the last couple of months has calmed down a lot so hopefully their is light at the end of the tunnel.

When he used to have his tantrums I would totally ignore him, if he kicked me or punched me i'd just calmly pick him up and put him on the naughty step, explaining why I was putting him there. Of course he didn't stay at first, but the key is persistance and consistency. Kids always get the message in the end, so I just kept putting him back.

There were a few times I totally lost my cool and ending up crying because I felt so powerless but honestly if you stay consistent you will get there. Stick to what you say and don't give in to his demands.

We also have a sticker chart where he gets stickers for good behaviour which encourages him.

Good luck, hopefully you will be able to get things under control before your baby is born :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...are you really only 14?? :eek: :D

Sorry?? 14? says who?
  • Options
    Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Posts: 4,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry?? 14? says who?

Oh I must be getting mixed up with someone else :o sorry. There is a well-known FM on here who's username begins with an M and is only 14 but seems wise beyond his years. I always thought it was you :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I must be getting mixed up with someone else :o sorry. There is a well-known FM on here who's username begins with an M and is only 14 but seems wise beyond his years. I always thought it was you :o

No. Not me. F/mid forties/have 23 yr old daughter :)
  • Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member

Magicmover?
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to make a new thread out of this, but was it after he had a JAB? I did my kids fully when they were 4, I took a risk just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel at my wits end.

I have a 2 and a half year old boy who is running rings round me. I don't know what to do to stop it. When I tell him off he kicks me and pinches me. If he can't have his own way he screeches at the top of his voice. Sometimes he just screeches!

I feel embarassed that I have no control over my own child. He does what he wants when he wants and no matter what I seem to do he either runs away from me or hurts me or screeches at me. He behaves the same way for my husband.

He never used to be this bad. Before I used to be able to tell him no and he'd stop. He'd cry for a little while then would just stop the naughty thing he is doing. I don't know when he changed. It's doing my head in.

I'm pregnant as well and I'm worried he's going to kick me in the belly and cause me to miscarry.

Any suggestions to help?

I would maybe try taking away privileges such as toys and sweets. I know how you are feeling, my little boy is two and a half and he is starting to run rings round me. On reading your post it reads near identical to my little boy, and yes sometimes i think i have given birth to a devil child. Should have called him Damien really lol
  • Options
    telespittletelespittle Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I feel at my wits end.

Any suggestions to help?

When he does that you pick him up and pop him in a playpen and you leave the room showing NO emotions. If he throws his toys out tough shite. He'll calm down sooner or later and it will take less and less time each time. Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shantom wrote: »
    I would maybe try taking away privileges such as toys and sweets.
    Good idea, and I know it can work for some.

My poor sister tho, has a child who has absolutely no currency whatsoever. No amount of taking away toys/treats made (or indeed "makes") any difference. He just shrugs it off. It's been tough for her!
  • Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foogirl wrote: »
    Good idea, and I know it can work for some.

My poor sister tho, has a child who has absolutely no currency whatsoever. No amount of taking away toys/treats made (or indeed "makes") any difference. He just shrugs it off. It's been tough for her!

Yeah i can imagine, i tried that with my little lad sometimes it works and other times it doesnt. I do find that putting him in his bedroom with the gate locked works better. However sometimes he will start again not ten minutes after being let out. Its very frustrating. The thing that annoys me the most about my lad is that you cannot take him anywhere, he throws the biggest tantrums and i do know that the best way is to ignore it but it is difficult. He has gone from being a very lovely little boy to a monster. I know they say it is terrible twos but my little girl was nowhere near as bad as what he is. I do feel sympathy for your sis and the op.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The naughty step is still the best way of calming them down. We found sticker charts rewarding good behaviour with a prize after our little one had 10 stickers also worked. It might also be because your pregnant, kids are very intuitive and he might feel a little threatened by it. Try lots of cuddles also and taking him to a kids soft play area if you have any?? I think all parents have been through this as we certainly have just come through this with our 3 year old. Stick to your guns, things will improve.