Films you're "supposed to have seen"

124»

Comments

• RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    The thing that surprises me most about this thread is not the films that people haven't seen, but some of the films listed that people think they're 'supposed' to have seen (which is the title of the thread)

I mean I was expecting to see classics like The Godfather and Star Wars listed, but Twighlight?? :eek:

Unless you're a 15 year old girl, who the hell thinks that people are supposed to have seen Twighlight? :confused:

My thoughts exactly.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    He was excellent in Scent of a woman. Although he did on occassions revert to shouting. Overall it was an excellent performance from him.

I'm sure he was great in that film, but I have no interest in seeing the remake or him. My loss, I'm sure. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    The thing that surprises me most about this thread is not the films that people haven't seen, but some of the films listed that people think they're 'supposed' to have seen (which is the title of the thread)

I mean I was expecting to see classics like The Godfather and Star Wars listed, but Twighlight?? :eek:

Unless you're a 15 year old girl, who the hell thinks that people are supposed to have seen Twighlight? :confused:

10/10 for misspelling it!

Although i now suspect that you are actually a secret "Twihard" with a really big picture of Kirsten and/or Robert or even Taylor on your wall.

And I'm proud to say I had to Google that!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main one for me has to be Gladiator. In spite of the fact it was released in 1999, the fact it was even shown on a big screen for free on my local beach after a few months during it's initial release and the many times it has been shown on ITV 2- 4,I have never seen it.In fact I saw a clip of Oliver Reed on TV the other day and I thought to myself 'I have still never seen Gladiator.' Another example for me is 'The Golden Compass' and 'Stardust.' I remember both films were released around the same time and a women I worked with asked me which film did I prefer out of the two and I said 'Stardust.' I went along with everything she said and made I had seen both films.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I've never seen ET or Elf which seem to be standard requirements for being a human being.

Oh I totes love elf to sparkly hotpants and back...
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,174
    Forum Member

You're absolutely right about It's a Wonderful Life. It's bizarre that people (mainly Americans?) think it's a feelgood film. There's some quite dark stuff going on there. George gives up his dream of being an architect for the greater good etc. It's still a great film, though. I thnk it was the first film James Stewart made when he came back from serving as a bomber pilot in WWII and I think the dark mood he conveys at times might be the result of things he saw on active service.

Only those of is who were around then will remember that it was a big flop when it was first released. It became popular through being shown on TV every Christmas for the past 30 years. I still find it boring and over rated.

Another James Stewart film Vertigo, was also a flop when it was first released. It has recently been voted the greatest film of all time, although it is still a load of boring crap to me. :confused:
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never watch any of the BOURNE movies, but that dosn't mean i don't want too!
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Some good responses to this, glad its not just me, a friend of mine tonight admitted to never having seen Jurassic Park.

I'll add Avatar to my list, not a clue what thats all about, and Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first Harry Potter when on TV and the first Twilight as my niece had it on DVD, but I wouldn't really be able to say what happened as I wasn't that interested!! Thus have never watched any of the follow ups!

Godfather films - nope no interest whatsoever, along with James Bond films.

Looking at other replies, I can also add Lord of the Rings and Rocky films.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No James Bond for me
    None of the superheroes ones (batman,spiderman etc)
    No horrors (except Stephen King ones cos I love him)

The two that most people are surprised at are

Grease
    Dirty Dancing

Missed them the first time round and not too fussed about watching them now.

Dirty dancing to me is the worse film ever! Have never cringed sooo much watching a film! You're lucky not to have seen it!
    Citizen Kane.

It regulalry gets voted best film of all time by people in the industry, so I tried watching it once but found it extremely dull and gave up.

Yeah can't say it ever grabbed me. A bit like Gone with the Wind which I just can't seem to find any interest in!

I know plenty of people of all ages who like Twilight, unfortunately!
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I havent seen Shawshank Redemption of Schindlers List. Am I missing out?

My sister got told to watch Shawshank as the person thought it was the best film ever. She hated it. Not how the film was, just the story!!! Personally I think both are really goodand worth a watch.

I always found that Woody Allen gave me the creeps although I have seen two of his films, but they never grabbed me and meant I didn't want to see anymore!

Bourne thingy saw the first, thought it was ok, but was never interested in the others.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Some good responses to this, glad its not just me, a friend of mine tonight admitted to never having seen Jurassic Park.

I'll add Avatar to my list, not a clue what thats all about, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I've never watched Jurassic Park either and I'm not too bothered about it really. I have a copy of one of the Pirates of the Carribbean movies my aunt gave me a few years back but I've never watched it and probably never will. As I've said I'd rather read a book or listen to music than watch a movie most of the time. I never go to the cinema.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The look of disgust i got from a friend when i told him i hadn't seen Ghostbusters made me download it that night. Still yet to watch it though.
    Forum Member
    The look of disgust i got from a friend when i told him i hadn't seen Ghostbusters made me download it that night. Still yet to watch it though.

Don't rush...Caspar is far better...
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw From Russia With Love and Goldfinger and quite enjoyed them, though they were the same film twice. I assume the twenty ninth is the same as well. ET was not bad, but it is a children's film, don't know why it is being mentioned here.

I have also seen The Titanic, and really liked it, though it is a love story, nothing to do with the Titanic. I haven't seen any of the others mentioned.
    Forum Member
    I watched a fair bit of the rocky Horror Picture show on Sky last night. Loved it. I know all the dances and songs but had never seen the film.

Gina Davis! Very young, I didn't know she was in it. And Tim Curry - very impressed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Twilight films.....don't interest me in the slightest.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least once a year there seems to be the release of a 'worthy' film that sets brown tongues wagging and becomes an 'event'... stuff like Slumdog Millionaire and The King's Speech. I've not seen any of the films in this category released in the last 20 years or so, and have zero interest in doing anything about that.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny that people are mentioning twilight. I've always thought that film series was one that attracts people to the cinema that don't normally go or watch many films! Mamma Mia also did this as did the kings speech.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much like the OP. Never seen a single minute of a James Bond film, bailed out of the 1st Lord of the Rings after 30 mins.

Beyond that, 90% of Summer Action Blockbusters, Comic Book films, American comedy films I've never gone anywhere near.

Still clocked up over 800 on IMDB but not more than 10 that fit into those above and hardly any where you know how it'll end when you walk in.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen Forrest Gump all the way through but I want to. Its just on for too long!
  • Geri69Geri69 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I havent seen Shawshank Redemption of Schindlers List. Am I missing out?

IMO-Shawshank YES you are missing out.Schindlers List-not so much, very depressing
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bourne, Batman, Rocky, Matrix. No thanks.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen Titanic out of that list.