Options

budgies beak has turned dark/black

xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
just wondering, does anyone know what this might be?

the bird had been fine all day, he even flew from his cage and landed on my head a few times, much to my surprise as he's only recently become more acclimatised to handling :D

he's eating and drinking fine and appears normal in movement and activity, everything is perfectly normal other than his beak colour

he did knock into the mirror yesterday, could this have bruised his beak and caused the colour change?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a number of things all need a trip to the vet I'm afraid. Bruising is possible as is a fungal infection or something called necrosis. And as I said all need to be diagnosed by a vet who should be able to help you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is the budgie? Are you positive the beak wasn't dark/black before? I ask because some of the young budgies that I have had/bred do get a black beak which gradually fades when they are about 4 to 5 months old. Sorry if this doesn't apply, and maybe you should get him checked out if you are at all concerned.

This gives you an example - http://i.pbase.com/g4/06/383406/2/63473247.Sm8iD1FC.jpg

or here -
    http://th01.deviantart.com/fs12/150/f/2006/318/a/2/Baby_Budgies_by_roxybudgy.jpg
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mums partner breeds budgies so i'm aware they can have black beaks when young, we don;t know exactly how old louie is as he was found in the street by a neighbour a few months ago, his eyes had a visible iris though so he surmised he was probably an adult, or very nearly one

very tame too, someone will have lost their loved pet there , but no one came forward to collect him

thanks for the advice
    i'll have to ring round and see if there are any vets nearby who are savvy on birds

it could just be a case of that since he's not coming closer to us, we've just noticed the colour more, may have always been like that

i'll let my sister know everything that's been said (as the birds are her department) and see what she thinks