"Czech cross" and dog euphemisms

RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw a dog today which was described as part-Inuit, part-Czech cross - which I'm pretty sure is a euphemism for the Czech wolfdog.

Has anyone else come across anyone using this sort of euphemistic phraseology? The dog seemed alright, though *very* gaunt (you should have seen the way he stared at some red setters) and certainly less friendly than actual Siberian Huskies (who are actually among the most effusive of breeds - saw one yesterday who was licking me, rubbing herself on me, etc., despite never having seen me before). And I know "American Staffordshire" can be a euphemism, but I saw a dog described as such recently who was very good-natured indeed. Swings and roundabouts ...

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen any round here but we seem to be inundated with Staffies - some of which are down right nasty and some are sweet as chocolate. Seems more to depend who they live with than the breeding line as two brothers can be very different in different hands ...
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed so. The owners are worse than the dogs, in many cases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolf hybrid dogs like the one you mentioned, cvd, and other breeds such as Sarloos tend to only get on with their own kind and will often see other dog breeds as inferior to them as some will be much closer to the wild and the wolf in them depending if they are first, second, third and so on generation of a wolf cross, which generally will have been the outcome of a wolf and a German Shepard mating.

Some it seems have more domestic dog traits of being inquisitive and social and some with have wolf traits and be very shy and wary of strangers and strange dogs.

Another theory why they may seem not to get on with domestic dogs is that they have all the communication skills of a wolf and domestic dogs have some of those skill missing, for example, only some breeds can raise their hackles or fur to make themselves look about 20% bigger, markings on the coat, ears, tail and face is thought by some to represent their rank so dogs with only one colour cant communicate their rank in this respect, ear posture can play a communication role, breeds like English bull terrier with very small ears would obviously find that hard.

The ones you may come across that havent seen wolf blood for a number of generations ie 10 to 20 are most likely to act just like any other domestic dog, for example it is thought that wolf blood was added to the german sheperd breed just after or around the 2nd world war, the idea was that the breed was thought to be too aggressive and wolf blood was added to calm them down, I think most people can see a resemblance of the wolf in a german sheperd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamesp147 wrote: »
    Wolf hybrid dogs like the one you mentioned, cvd, and other breeds such as Sarloos tend to only get on with their own kind and will often see other dog breeds as inferior to them

That's the impression I got from the way this dog was staring at the red setters (or Irish Setters as they're officially known of course). Now I know they're not the cleverest of dogs, and most of their owners will happily concede that, but they're wonderful in all sorts of other ways.
    Some it seems have more domestic dog traits of being inquisitive and social and some with have wolf traits and be very shy and wary of strangers and strange dogs.

This one didn't seem aggressive, and he let me stroke him, but he was *very* aloof.
    Another theory why they may seem not to get on with domestic dogs is that they have all the communication skills of a wolf and domestic dogs have some of those skill missing

This also fits very much with what happened on Thursday - I know Huskies and German Shepherds both also give the slightly worrying impression of knowing more than you do, but not to anything like the extent of actual wolf hybrids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the impression I got from the way this dog was staring at the red setters (or Irish Setters as they're officially known of course). Now I know they're not the cleverest of dogs, and most of their owners will happily concede that, but they're wonderful in all sorts of other ways.

This one didn't seem aggressive, and he let me stroke him, but he was *very* aloof.

This also fits very much with what happened on Thursday - I know Huskies and German Shepherds both also give the slightly worrying impression of knowing more than you do, but not to anything like the extent of actual wolf hybrids.

Hi Robin,

I have found that dogs that are perceived to be not clever or hyper are very different from the same breeds that do the job they were bred for....ie a lot of people will say springer spaniels are crazy and nutty dogs, but I know a pack that are doing the job they were bred for and have plenty of exercise and mental stimulation and as a result they are very calm, intelligent and chilled out dogs, not the norm that you see with the same breed that lives in a flat and has a 10 min walk every day.

Being very aloof as you describe is very accurate description of an alpha rank of the breed.....also would fit if it seemed snob like?

It impresses me that you describe huskys , german sheperds and wolf hybrids of giving the impression that they know more than we do, you couldnt have described it better as especially in 'their' world ie wooded or forest area they do in fact know more than we do.

It also tells me your very much in tune with dogs and can read their ways, you have either been taught or your a natural.

I know someone with a wolf hybrid which is very much on the wild side, no normal dog training or behaviourists methods will work as the wolf in her will not accept any form of human dominance, in the forest she rules, when she gets too out of hand rather than try and control the dog he will control the environment.... he wil take her to a busy town centre, now she knows she is in his world and will follow his lead and become much calmer.

In the forest she has 'superior knowledge'....in a busy town centre she knows her human owner has 'superior knowledge'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never taught in any meaningful sense. I guess that means I'm a natural!

It is unfortunately true that far too many springers aren't given enough stimulation. They're wonderful dogs in the right hands, but all too often they're kept in wholly unsuitable environments. Luckily, one of my cousins saw sense and had her springer, who came from the more compact, less exaggerated, but of necessity much more demanding working strain of the breed - rehomed (in fact I think it was going to be trained as a sniffer dog) when she realised that, loving and (I mean this) life-affirming though he was, he simply wasn't the right dog for a life such as hers. She has another, less demanding dog now - most people can find the dog for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was never taught in any meaningful sense. I guess that means I'm a natural!

It is unfortunately true that far too many springers aren't given enough stimulation. They're wonderful dogs in the right hands, but all too often they're kept in wholly unsuitable environments. Luckily, one of my cousins saw sense and had her springer, who came from the more compact, less exaggerated, but of necessity much more demanding working strain of the breed - rehomed (in fact I think it was going to be trained as a sniffer dog) when she realised that, loving and (I mean this) life-affirming though he was, he simply wasn't the right dog for a life such as hers. She has another, less demanding dog now - most people can find the dog for them.

Sounds like your cousin has a similar instinct with dogs, she def made the right decision in my view, I agree that most people can find the right dog for them, trouble is most go on looks and cuteness, fashion, trends, ego etc and dont realise what needs certain breeds have.....hence why rescue centres are full.