Options

Not looking forward to this

droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A couple brought a dying cat to my door late last night. We wrapped him up and left him with some milk (not that there was anyway he'd get to drink it).

I'll be having to knock on a few doors this morning to try and find out who's he was.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A vet would scan him for a chip which may help, he should go to a vet anyway, if he is suffering they will help him on his way. :(
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people think cats drink milk? They are lactose-intolerant!

Good luck with the cat, I will hold him in my thoughts :(
    Agree with molliepops btw- our cats are chipped and it would be awful to imagine someone let them die without taking them to a vet :cry:
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Why do people think cats drink milk? They are lactose-intolerant!
    They think it becuase they know it to be true.

Cats love cats milk, it is a well known FACT :mad:

There is nothing wrong with giving your cat milk, and the same goes for chocolate, if you don't believe me ask any interdependent vet older than 40 years old.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    They think it becuase they know it to be true.

Cats love cats milk, it is a well known FACT :mad:

There is nothing wrong with giving your cat milk, and the same goes for chocolate, if you don't believe me ask any interdependent vet older than 40 years old.

More like any vet over 60 who hasn't done a day's study since qualifying.

Cats lack the enzyme required to breakdown lactose. In small quantities, milk isn't a major issue for most cats. In larger quantities or in some particularly intolerant cats it causes stomach upsets which at the very least is unpleasant for the cat, at worst inhibits absorption of nutrients from other foods as they pass through the digestive system to quickly.

As for chocolate - Theobromine has been found to be very toxic to both dogs and cats. The darker the chocolate, the more Theobromine. Some dogs/cats may get away with eating some chocolate, but it is playing Russian Roulette to feed it to them.

OP, the cat (if still alive) really ought to go to a vet. It may be that it can be saved or it my be that it needs to be put out of its suffering. A vet is the only kind option here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience most cats love milk some cannot tolerate it, and chocolate in tiny portions has never upset any of my dogs or cats. It is very individual and not as clear cut as saying no one should ever give a cat milk.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No guys - I doubt he lasted more than 30 minutes. (well less to be honest). There really was no point in trying an emergency vet service he was too far gone.

I did the round of neighbours this morning but no-one knows whose it is.

So I shall keep him somewhere safe from predators today and take him to a vets tomorrow. Maybe they can check if he was chipped and let the owners know.
    :(

On another note - certainly my own cat won't drink milk - but my own cat won't drink tap water either. She will only drink the rain water she finds in the garden.

She won't eat fish or meat either - wet food is her favourite - but I normally feed her pellets.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about the cat OP, I am sure you are doing your best for it - horrible task for you.:(

I don't think lactose intolerance was a high priority in view of the fact the cat was dying.

Good luck OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No guys - I doubt he lasted more than 30 minutes. (well less to be honest). There really was no point in trying an emergency vet service he was too far gone.

I did the round of neighbours this morning but no-one knows whose it is.

So I shall keep him somewhere safe from predators today and take him to a vets tomorrow. Maybe they can check if he was chipped and let the owners know.
    :(

On another note - certainly my own cat won't drink milk - but my own cat won't drink tap water either. She will only drink the rain water she finds in the garden.

She won't eat fish or meat either - wet food is her favourite - but I normally feed her pellets.

Apologies I misread the OP and thought he was still alive.

Vet will scan him and hopefully an owner can be found. At least he was cared for at the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, you were so kind to make the poor cat comfortable at the end. Poor little thing :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are Lactose Intolerant (We got 2 a couple of weeks ago and they said to use 'all cats are lactose intolerant' when we picked them up)