ray donovan season 1 sky Atlantic (uk pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Interesting show. I like how there is a back story building about these character's past.
    The smile at the end though.
    Was this Ray happy that the priest who abused him and his brother is now dead?
    Or is he happy that he has some ammunition to use to put Mickey back in jail?

Both I imagine. Is Mickey on parole or did he serve his full sentence? I'm not a legal expert but I think murdering a priest would count as a parole violation. And Ray wouldn't baulk at planting evidence to fit his dad up - again?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Catholic Church allow paedo priests to continue to act as priests? Bunchy told Ray that the church had settled - $1.4m. So they have admitted the guy is a paedophile. Yet he remains a priest? That confuses me.

Sadly yes, a lot of Bishops covered things up and moved Priests off to other dioceses and areas. Often the lawsuits just named the Diocese or the Bishop and not the actual priests
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Sadly yes, a lot of Bishops covered things up and moved Priests off to other dioceses and areas. Often the lawsuits just named the Diocese or the Bishop and not the actual priests

Wow. I know that sort of thing happened in the past. But I thought the Church had said they would tackle the issue head on now. A case of saying one thing and doing another perhaps?:(

This article from the Telegraph sums up the situation perfectly
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9974271/Pope-Francis-Church-must-act-decisively-against-paedophile-priests.html

“One of the first actions Pope Francis took was to visit perhaps the most high profile corrupt prelate on the planet, who remains a powerful church official despite having been drummed out of Boston for hiding and enabling crimes by hundreds of child molesting clerics,” said Mrs Dorris.

Mmmmmh!

Abuse is at the heart of this drama. I hope the writers explore the scandal of abuse in the RC Church further. Especially how senior figures conspired to cover it up etc.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the Catholic Church allow paedo priests to continue to act as priests? Bunchy told Ray that the church had settled - $1.4m. So they have admitted the guy is a paedophile. Yet he remains a priest? That confuses me.

I imagine they settled out of court so not to bring unwanted attention
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched both eps again last night. It's finally sunk in who everyone is and what their names are.

Is Tommy Wheeler trying to groom Connor? I know the man is a bit thick but surely he's not that stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched both eps again last night. It's finally sunk in who everyone is and what their names are.

Is Tommy Wheeler trying to groom Connor? I know the man is a bit thick but surely he's not that stupid.

Well he's supposedly a sex addict... I do think they are going somewhere with it since Wheeler invited him over to his house for a "private showing" of his new movie. Also, remember what his granddad said, "A mouth is a mouth, just don't take it in the ass, that's how you get sick" and Connor is a sexually frustrated teenager.

I'm more curious as to what made Ray's sister jump... if she was also abused or if it relates to his father and not the priest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine they settled out of court so not to bring unwanted attention

Yes. That makes more sense. We didn't get the details of Bunchy's settlement. He just said he'd got the money - or words to that effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he's supposedly a sex addict... I do think they are going somewhere with it since Wheeler invited him over to his house for a "private showing" of his new movie. Also, remember what his granddad said, "A mouth is a mouth, just don't take it in the ass, that's how you get sick" and Connor is a sexually frustrated teenager.

I'm more curious as to what made Ray's sister jump... if she was also abused or if it relates to his father and not the priest.

That would explain the hate Ray has for his dad. If Mickey was the cause of Bridget's death.

Wheeler said he liked sucking cock. I can think of one penis he wouldn't want in his mouth;):D:D

The whack moovie guy reminds me of Ben Stiller for some reason. I wonder if any Hollywood royalty recognise themselves in this drama.
  • xxTinkerbellexxxxTinkerbellexx Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been looking for something good on TV to get my teeth into and this is it. Absolutely adore the show.

Some funny scenes, even funnier lines, and some shocking and gritty scenes too.

Loving how Ray deals with his business partner in the office who is forever screaming at him. *click* I must try that in real life :D

I can't wait for episode 3!! :D
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's terrific stuff so far. Reminds me a little of The Godfather with all the back stabbing, wheeling and dealing. Nice to have an intelligent, grown up drama on TV for a change without the gimmicky backround music and other fancy schmancy effects to try and distract viewers from a weak script. Liev Schreiber is terrific and Jon Voight is outstanding. He is so creepy and manipulative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been looking for something good on TV to get my teeth into and this is it. Absolutely adore the show.

Some funny scenes, even funnier lines, and some shocking and gritty scenes too.

Loving how Ray deals with his business partner in the office who is forever screaming at him. *click* I must try that in real life :D

I can't wait for episode 3!! :D
    It's terrific stuff so far. Reminds me a little of The Godfather with all the back stabbing, wheeling and dealing. Nice to have an intelligent, grown up drama on TV for a change without the gimmicky backround music and other fancy schmancy effects to try and distract viewers from a weak script. Liev Schreiber is terrific and Jon Voight is outstanding. He is so creepy and manipulative.

The Returned has finished and Hannibal ends tomorrow. FNL is down to the last two eps as well. So this will be my home from now on.

I like how we get a ''Ray'll fixit'' story each week, but the main drama is the family arc, if I can call it that. If it was just a fixit as the main feature each week and very minor character development that would get boring very quickly I think.

I hadn't noticed any BGM, or more accurately any lack of it? Shows how good the drama is.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Returned has finished and Hannibal ends tomorrow. FNL is down to the last two eps as well. So this will be my home from now on.

I like how we get a ''Ray'll fixit'' story each week, but the main drama is the family arc, if I can call it that. If it was just a fixit as the main feature each week and very minor character development that would get boring very quickly I think.

I hadn't noticed any BGM, or more accurately any lack of it? Shows how good the drama is.:)

The character isn't just one dimensional either which this character could easily be and other shows similar to this in the past have fallen into that trap. The scene with the transgendered guy/ girl was very moving. Especially when he sent him/ her the money to get the operation done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The character isn't just one dimensional either which this character could easily be and other shows similar to this in the past have fallen into that trap. The scene with the transgendered guy/ girl was very moving. Especially when he sent him/ her the money to get the operation done.

That would be Chloe - or am I getting my dramas mixed up. Loved the scene when he went to Ben Stiller's office for the money. Ben was expecting Ray to get on his knees. It ended with him asking for Ray's trainer's name. As if.:D:D

Ray has a heart of gold, but he still kept half(?) of the money for himself. We saw him put it in his safe, did we not. So not averse to helping himself whilst helping others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be Chloe - or am I getting my dramas mixed up. Loved the scene when he went to Ben Stiller's office for the money. Ben was expecting Ray to get on his knees. It ended with him asking for Ray's trainer's name. As if.:D:D

Ray has a heart of gold, but he still kept half(?) of the money for himself. We saw him put it in his safe, did we not. So not averse to helping himself whilst helping others.

:D Yeah. A real Robin Hollywoodhood. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Yeah. A real Robin Hollywoodhood. :D

I had to put my glasses on to read that.:eek:

Nice one.;):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He only hears incidental music in his dreams, like in the pilot and when he imagines seeing his father "on the job" in bed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    This looks like another quality drama from america.
    Like the Sopranos, i'm more interested in the family dynamic than his job as a fixer.
    Jon Voight is brilliant and Liev Schreiber is a scary looking guy
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to check this out when I saw Liev Shrieber, Jon Voight and Paula Malcolmson in the trailer - good acting pedigree.

I imagined it to be a bit Sopranos-like with a mix of Ray's work-related stuff and difficult family background and so far I'm rather enjoying it. Definitely not too taxing on the brain, either (like Banshee - just sit back and enjoy the sex and violence...)
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I . Definitely not too taxing on the brain, either (like Banshee - just sit back and enjoy the sex and violence...)

I really don't see the similarity. RD is way more intelligent a show than Banshee - which was pretty much the same format/story each week. Entertaining but not in the same league.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    I really don't see the similarity. RD is way more intelligent a show than Banshee - which was pretty much the same format/story each week. Entertaining but not in the same league.

Agreed. I thought it was a strange comparison when I read it.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More Steven (Avi) Bauer and less of RD's halfwit family would make this show even better.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    More Steven (Avi) Bauer and less of RD's halfwit family would make this show even better.
    Liking both....but more Lena....and even more Mickey - you can't take him anywhere.

Great episode last night....but what is that FBI agent up to - working alone? - what's with all the photos, very interesting.

And what's going to happen to Marvin when/if Ray finds out about the 'Photo Sharing', with his daughter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lena needs more screen time.

"You can't hit me. I'm epileptic."
    *smack*
    "I f-ng told you. Now get up, we're going."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

I disagree. I'm loving Ray and his (very) dysfunctional family. They make the show for me. How many kids does Mickey have? Is the guy with the parkinsons his son plus the ginger haired guy? I know the black guy is and Ray of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. I'm loving Ray and his (very) dysfunctional family. They make the show for me. How many kids does Mickey have? Is the guy with the parkinsons his son plus the ginger haired guy? I know the black guy is and Ray of course.
    Terry and Bunchy are indeed Ray's brothers, however Terry didn't tell Bunchy about the settlement money or abuse that led to it.