• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Buy two potties.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very young to start potty training. My advice would be to buy them the potty, tell them what it's there for, give them PLENTY of time to get used to it, get used to sitting on it etc. Don't push it, don't make them sit on it. When they show an interest in using it for the intended funtion, use praise and encouragement. Don't force them to sit on it ........
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy or girls ? I have heard that girls are ready sooner then boys.

Anyway assuming they are showing some signs they are ready then I would look here,

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/toddler/pottytraining/parentstips/

From personal experience, lots of patience, expect lots of accidents. Get to them to help choose the potty, though both my kids transitioned to using the toilet (with insert seat) within a few days. Just keep sitting them on it every hour or so, if they are ready for it, they won't fight it. Read them a book, etc. Give them 5 or 10 minutes then try again in an hour. It they do use it then give them lots of praise. If they are ready for it, they will quickly learn.

For night time, you might find that they will need to be closer to 3 before they can go through the night without a nappy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy two potties.

That's funny, strange I thought the same:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy two potties.

ok so although i said i didnt know where to start! i did mange to figure that one and bought 2 potties lol :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very young to start potty training. My advice would be to buy them the potty, tell them what it's there for, give them PLENTY of time to get used to it, get used to sitting on it etc. Don't push it, don't make them sit on it. When they show an interest in using it for the intended funtion, use praise and encouragement. Don't force them to sit on it ........

they have had the pottys for about a year now as they have always been left round the house for them to get used to them..... they do know there potty's and that you go toilet in them but actually getting them to do it is the difficult thing..... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)
    c4rv wrote: »

Anyway assuming they are showing some signs they are ready then I would look here,

From personal experience, lots of patience, expect lots of accidents. Get to them to help choose the potty, though both my kids transitioned to using the toilet (with insert seat) within a few days. Just keep sitting them on it every hour or so, if they are ready for it, they won't fight it. Read them a book, etc. Give them 5 or 10 minutes then try again in an hour. It they do use it then give them lots of praise. If they are ready for it, they will quickly learn.

For night time, you might find that they will need to be closer to 3 before they can go through the night without a nappy.

Hi, they are boys they are 2 years and 4 months they tell me that they have done a poo and they tell me when they are wet and uncomfortable so assuming now that they could be ready...
    Thanks for the advice and link... will have a read up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

had to share this with you as i found it highly amusing from the link you just gave me......:D:D:D

''We put a flushable item, such as confetti, in the toilet. (You can also use shaving cream or coloured ice cubes.) The game for our son was to aim and shoot. Rewards were based on accuracy. It was fun and challenging, and did wonders for his precision! With poos, we told him the game was to send in the backup troops (no pun intended) to finish the job with torpedoes. I doubt this would work with girls, but Alex took less than a week to be fully potty-trained.''
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie* wrote: »
    had to share this with you as i found it highly amusing from the link you just gave me......:D:D:D

''We put a flushable item, such as confetti, in the toilet. (You can also use shaving cream or coloured ice cubes.) The game for our son was to aim and shoot. Rewards were based on accuracy. It was fun and challenging, and did wonders for his precision! With poos, we told him the game was to send in the backup troops (no pun intended) to finish the job with torpedoes. I doubt this would work with girls, but Alex took less than a week to be fully potty-trained.''

That is actually good advice, You can play the aiming game with cheerios or anything that floats but is water soluable. You could teach them to wee sitting down if you want to save cleaning up the mess everytime, my son does at home.

Edit: One other quick thing, you may find there being a difference between them telling you after the fact and them knowing that they want to go before hand.

Anyway, good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is actually good advice, You can play the aiming game with cheerios or anything that floats but is water soluable. You could teach them to wee sitting down if you want to save cleaning up the mess everytime, my son does at home.

Edit: One other quick thing, you may find there being a difference between them telling you after the fact and them knowing that they want to go before hand.

Anyway, good luck.

thats what i thought but thought that i could give it a go anyway! the other day a friend of mine took my sons nappy off ready for the bath... he then pointed to his bum and said pee pee (they calls their nappy a pee pee) but my friend didnt take any notice... he then weed on the floor but have a feeling he was trying to tell him he needed a wee!

The other problem im facing is my other son doenst like being without a nappy and when i take it off he crys telling me he wants one put back on...... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    i have twin girls and i think 2 is possibly a bit TOO young to start potty training hun...if you leave it until they are more ready then they will take to it easier and have less accidents etc...and it does actually get easier as they both want to be grown up and use the potty

also we found the Fisher Price Smart potties REALLY helped...we got 2 and whilst 2 were expensive, they were worth every penny

Oh and top tip, we wrapped up little cheap pressies and put them into a bowl and then every wee they did on the potty, they got a surprise as they were dying to know what was in the pressie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have twin girls and i think 2 is possibly a bit TOO young to start potty training hun...if you leave it until they are more ready then they will take to it easier and have less accidents etc...and it does actually get easier as they both want to be grown up and use the potty

also we found the Fisher Price Smart potties REALLY helped...we got 2 and whilst 2 were expensive, they were worth every penny

Oh and top tip, we wrapped up little cheap pressies and put them into a bowl and then every wee they did on the potty, they got a surprise as they were dying to know what was in the pressie

Yeah?? what age would you suggest?? everyone keeps on telling me that they should be out of nappies now hence why i thought i had better do it :o Thanks for your advice much appriciated!! :) thats a really good idea with a treat when they use the potty!!
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My twin 2 year nieces are potty training right now, the mum has another on the way and wanted to try and get them finished before the baby is born in December. They're actually doing really well. One of them really loves to go for a wee in her potty as she loves pleasing people and likes it when we all congratulate her (she even does a little wee dance after it) and she wipes herself. The other one prefers her toilet seat potty to feel grown up but I don't think she does it for the fuss afterwards. They've learnt now to distinguish when they need the toilet and when they've been to the toilet. Amazing how advanced they can be at that age.

The target shooting game sounds like a great idea, although perhaps a messy one?! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah?? what age would you suggest?? everyone keeps on telling me that they should be out of nappies now hence why i thought i had better do it :o Thanks for your advice much appriciated!! :) thats a really good idea with a treat when they use the potty!!

Who is telling you that they should be out of nappies ?

First every child develops differently and I don't know your twins but would not surprise me if one took to potty straightaway and the other took longer. Second 2 years and 4 is in no way late for potty training, as others have said it is actually early compared to most kids.

There are 3 1/2 year olds and even older at nursary my kids use still in nappies though I would personally I would be trying for sure by then, but you have a whole year before you get there.

Thing is when they are ready, in my experiance it quite literally it will take a week or less for them switch over for weeing and slightly longer for poo's. Biggest problem I found was if they get to engrossed in something they forget.

Honestly, don't get too worked up about this. The kids will pick up on it and it will make it harder when the right time comes along.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    i'd say nearer 3 is best...i've done all 3 of my children around that age and they have all taken to it really quick...i hate it when other mums all brag and say their children were out of nappies by 18 months, it just makes you feel terrible and after all its not a competition...it will just feel right when your twins are ready...and it helps when they have a greater understanding of things so you can explain and reason with them
    If you really wanted to try now, go for it but if it doesn't work, put the potties away and try again in a few months time
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    My son's just turned 2 and was potty-trained just before his birthday. We did it by first getting him to learn what the potty was, then he just picked up what it was for (he's damn bright!). Every time he used it we gave him a chocolate button etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is telling you that they should be out of nappies ?

First every child develops differently and I don't know your twins but would not surprise me if one took to potty straightaway and the other took longer. Second 2 years and 4 is in no way late for potty training, as others have said it is actually early compared to most kids.

There are 3 1/2 year olds and even older at nursary my kids use still in nappies though I would personally I would be trying for sure by then, but you have a whole year before you get there.

Thing is when they are ready, in my experiance it quite literally it will take a week or less for them switch over for weeing and slightly longer for poo's. Biggest problem I found was if they get to engrossed in something they forget.

Honestly, don't get too worked up about this. The kids will pick up on it and it will make it harder when the right time comes along.

I think 4 is a bit late to start potty training....by that age they'll either be in primary school or getting ready to start. You need to be potty trained by then!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that people think 2 is too young for potty training:confused:
    Both of mine were out of nappies day and night by the age of 2 1/2, I started daytime at about the age of 2.
    Fortunately it was only one at a time though, not having twins!
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck with it and any successful tips you discover please share.

We tried getting GD clean just after her 2nd birthday (August) she has no problem holding onto the contents of her bladder, she refused to use the pot. I tried sitting her on the big toilet but forgot about the size difference and dropped her down it. :o After 5 days we gave up and decided she wasn't comfortable being out of nappies just yet. We're confused as she says she wants to go, asks for the pot, takes her nappy off but then refuses to do anything in it.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I think every child is different..

the telling you they have weed or pooed is a good start..I agree with most about buying a potty and letting them get used to it.The lectronic all singing all dancing toilets have too much going on and detracts what they are for.

I have 3 boys and they have all trained at different ages but all between 2 and before they were 3..the eldest used to hide and do a poo and didnt want to do anything on the toilet so i used bribes!..

The middle one was only 17 months younger than my eldest and potty trained early and easily probably because od his older brother..

My youngest is 2 years 11 months and was completely dry through the day by 2 1/2..it only took about a month from start to finish..we bought 3 ikea cheap potties and had a sticker box,every time he went to the potty he chose 3/4 stickers to stick on his potty..after a while he didnt need the stickers and now he doesnt need me just goes to the loo on his own for a wee using his little stools to stand on and even puts his toilet seat on and sits himself down then shouts me when he is finished a number 2.

My niece is almost 2 1/2 and has no interest unless she comes to my house and sees her little cousin on the loo..by nature though she is always on the go and it is difficult to get her to sit still long enough to even try..so personality probably has something to do with it..

One thing I will say dont listen to anyone telling you they should be dry too young and dont feel a failure if they get to 3 and arent dry..every child is different and you have 2 at the same time which may help or hinder when the time comes..my elder 2 are now 14 and 15 and I know early days with them I was paranoid if they werent doing this or that what other children were doing..same when you stand in the school yard when they start school..there are always those mums who claim there child is genius,on the highest possible reading level,are going for try outs with some proffesional football team at age 5,eat every fruit and veg you put in front of them and can write an essay at 4 years old!!!..well guess what there are no children like that..when one is good at drawing one is good at numbers,one is good at writing one os good at sport...take it all with a pinch of salt...I have found those parents who push too much in the early years for their child to be the best have rebellious teenagers on their hands now they have grown up!!!..I know I have raised my teens to do the right thing but I am realistic and dont pretend they will never put a foot wrong when they are out of my sight.

Lots of praise,a little bribery and patience.thatd all I can offer..good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    I think 4 is a bit late to start potty training....by that age they'll either be in primary school or getting ready to start. You need to be potty trained by then!

whoops, 2 years and 4 months that should have said, lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whoops, 2 years and 4 months that should have said, lol

Ahhh yes that makes more sense lol
  • Options
    CalphurniaCalphurnia Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought that too, but my son is over 3 and a half and not at all interested in coming out of nappies. He is aware of the function of a toilet/potty but refuses point blank to use them. I'm not going to start worrying until he's too big for nappies, as I don't want to make things worse. That said, I think he's an extreme example :D
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck, I had awful bother potty training my son. He peed every five minutes as soon as I took a nappy off. He wasn't even that reliable at staying dry when he started school! I had to send him with a spare pair of pants and trousers because he'd get so engrossed he'd just wee himself as he leaves going to the toilet until he's so desperate he can't hold it!
    I first tried him at 2, than 2 1/2, then 3, then 3 1/2 and when he finally turned 4 I thought bloody hell son you're going to have to get the hang of it now. My washer certainly got a lot of use,
    I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be as my daughter had only just turned two when she decided she wanted to wear knickers. She peed her pants just ONCE in the first day of no nappies and that was it potty trained, a couple of weeks later I chucked out the potty and she was using the loo. Completely stress free and I wondered why people complained about potty training!
    Until of course my son came along and showed me what a hideous, messy nightmare potty training could really be!
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Potty is very frustrating but you mustn't give in. It's too easy to stick a nappy on and say I'll try again another day.

It's usually 2 steps forwards and 5 steps backwards ie as soon as you think you may be close to conquering it, they will pee/poo outside the potty! Put the potty on a wooden floor or lino, easier to clean accidents.

2 is certainly the right age to start as it can take up to 6 months or more. And if you want them to go to day nurseries they will have to be potty trained, they are usually aged 2 and half when nurseries will take them potty trained.

My daughter (who's nearly 16) was potty trained by 2, she was so good so it as really easy. She never wet the bed either.

My son (who's 10) was a nightmare!! He would pee all over the place and like you, I was Googling sites to find help everywhere. He was out of nappies by 2 and a half but was using pull 'em ups during the night.

Good luck.