Chistmas Traditions You'll Never Break

Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This week I've been feeling particularly Chsritmassy :D So I though I'd start this thread so we can all share our household Xmas traditions that we've had for years and will have for years to come :-)

Now I don't care if you think my traditions are boring or too predictable to carry out every year because if me and my family enjoy them, then that's all that matters.

The Chrsitmas Tree & Decorations
As my birthday is the 8th December, as a child I refused to have Christmas overshadow my birthday so the weekend after my birthday, the Christmas season could begin. it's been this way for years and since my birthday is roughly only 2-3 weeks before Christmas, it seems like a good time to start getting into Christmas mode. Therefore, every year me and the rest of the family spend a sunday morning at church farm selecting our Christmas tree and going for a toasty hot chocolate or cup of coffee. We take ages agreeing on which tree to buy but we always find the right one. This year we'll probably get the tree on the 12th maybe the 19th :-)

Decorating the Christmas tree then usually takes place in the evening sometime later in the week. The whole family get together for this and help decorate the tree (we always end up putting the school-made deccys on aswell because my parents insist on it :rolleyes: ) Here comes the cat full of intrigue and excitement as he's found some new entertainment and a place to swing from :rolleyes: We always end up playin the continous game of cat knocks things of the tree and we put them back on. It's a continuous cycle :-)

Pressie Shopping
For some reason most of my families Christmas shopping takes place in the week before Christmas (excluding the 21st of course to celebrate dearest father gaining another wrinkle and making one step closer to retirement :p).

Christmas Eve
Xmas Eve is when we deliver local crimbo cards or go scavanging for that last important present. We spend the rest of the day wrapping the pressies and relaxing in the evening with some good old crimbo movies :D (home alone 1&2 ;D and shamfully.... The polar express :o always a favourite of mine when I was a kid) Dont do the whole midnight mass thing :/

Christmas Day
I used to rise early and meet with my brothers to open our stockings but now i need dragging out of bed. Once the whole family is awake presents can be opened. (sometimes in the morning sometimes after dindins :-D)

Breakfast doesn't exist on Xmas day :p Chocolate all the way! Turkey gets put in the oven to cook and the whole family head off to the cemetery to visit my sister and grandfathers grave :-) we always leave a big basket of flowers for them and hope they're having a good party up there :-)

Grubs served and we all tuck in unfortunately we have to endure the queens speech :rolleyes: then we recline to the lounge for either a chrimbo film or one of the soaps. Boyfriend comes round for the afternoon :-) Buffet for dinner. And usually we fit an hour or two in to visit mates and deliver pressies :-)

Sorry for such a looooong post but as you can probably tell by now I just love Christmas :D Sorry for wasting your time :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the excessive consumption of alcohol ;)
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Blinis, scrambled egg and champagne for brekkie on xmas day! Oh, and some xmas morning sexytime. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Being a miserable sod..

bah humbug.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always have to have my little nativity scene on the fireplace.
    I also, every year, watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation... Just love that film.
  • Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2233 wrote: »
    the consumption of alcohol ;)

Indeed :cool: we go through buckets of the stuff :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I've never stepped outside on xmas day - ever! i'm 31.
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Eve - Hot Pork Sandwiches for tea then kids off to bed and a glass (or two) of Baileys while watching Love Actually :)
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Really not enjoying it much.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Christmas Top of the Pops. I don't celebrate the time of year, but I can't miss out on this. Childhood memories I expect.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A breakfast of square sausage, bacon, egg, beans, black and White pudding, hash browns, tomatoes, toast and a glass of champers :)
  • Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the Tree and Decs never fail in my house.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Champers for breakfast
    watching national lampoon's xmas vacation.
    getting horribly drunk
    playing triial pursuit until the family all falls asleep and it ends up being me vs my sister.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Breakfast doesn't exist in our house either at Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I wont eat a Christmas mince pie until the 1st of dec.

Smarties and chocolate orange before breakfast on Christmas morn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas decorations go up the first weekend of December.
    Bacon butties for breakfast Christmas morning.
    We all buy each other a selection box and open them Christmas Eve when we watch a film :)
  • MookyboyMookyboy Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Champers for breakfast
    watching national lampoon's xmas vacation.
    getting horribly drunk
    playing triial pursuit until the family all falls asleep and it ends up being me vs my sister.

Yay! Your back :)
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mookyboy wrote: »
    Yay! Your back :)

Harro :)
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The annual family row, somewhere between presents and lunch
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've never stepped outside on xmas day - ever! i'm 31.

I'm never let :( I would love to though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New pajamas before bed on Christmas Eve.
    The opening of one present on Christmas Eve. (Both of these are traditions from my childhood)
    Christmas breakfast is always chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    New pajamas before bed on Christmas Eve.
    The opening of one present on Christmas Eve. (Both of these are traditions from my childhood)
    Christmas breakfast is always chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream.

now that sounds great :)
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding the whole day quite tedious and dull. (Granted, this only came on six or so year ago, when I grew out of the OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG IT'S XMAS DAY)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visiting my granny's grave on Xmas eve to lay a wreath, just to show that even in the manic chaos that Christmas always seems to bring, I've not forgotten the departed.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A breakfast of square sausage, bacon, egg, beans, black and White pudding, hash browns, tomatoes, toast and a glass of champers :)

I'd never have room for the massive Xmas dinner:eek:
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have to go for a walk outside at some point, usually after dinner.

One or all of us has to say at some point that we could leave the turkey and just have the vegetables and gravy and be happy, and one or all of us has to say that Boxing day dinner is better than Christmas dinner. And my dad has to sit and fart and blame it on the dog.