DS Crisis Support Group? (Part 5)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Beth,while you are struggling with your own problems,it is not a good idea to be PM ing other sufferers.I say this as a very old self harmer,I recocgnise that I am not trained or professional .Perhaps you will do yourself or the other person more harm then good.For the time being ,accept that you are someone who needs support rather that being someone who gives it....as a guide,when you havent harmed yourself for a year then you can advise others

I agree with that. For the sake of my own recovery, I have to surround myself with those who are well. Then, when I'm better, I can offer support and strength to those who need it.

To be honest, I do best when I completely avoid those who are actively self-harming.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry. :( I just wanted to give my perspective on it.
  • maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you mean well,and it shows your kindness,but you are very young Beth,and sound like you are in need of a lot of help rather than being in a position to offer useful thoughts based on your experiences.How about turning that positive desire to help on yourself?Be kind to you, rather than projecting it onto strangers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beth this will sound awful considering I'm the same age as you, but I'm a recovered self harmer (well, near as, occasional urge but hardly ever act on it now) and I know talking to others who were SH at the same time I was at my worst, made me more likely to do it, and although I thought it was helping, it wasn't.
    Look after yourself mainly hun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    During my first appointment with my counselor he suggested that i start going back into the photography too... admittedly I haven't had a chance yet since then but I will be doing!!!

It is great for getting all wrapped up and involved in - takes your mind off things brilliantly!

Or it would do for me, if it wasn't for the fact that the ex and I are talking about having another go at things, which is kind of keeping me occupied right now.

Oh my poor head! ;)
    Forum Member
    Sorry if I sounded harsh Beth, I was just sharing my experience.

After a few years of being self-harm free, I relapsed in April 2008. It got pretty bad, pretty quickly, but then I fell pregnant. I managed to stop while pregnant, and for a while afterwards. I'm starting to slip back though. Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to get help, and would be honest about it, but I'm scared of asking for help now, because I have a baby. I'm also on the waiting list for Pyschotherapy (finally!) and should hopefully start that in 6 months. I have to be stable for that, and I'm worried if they know I'm self-harming, they'll take me off the list. I'm also hoping to start CBT soon too, and I don't want to risk that. I'm conflicted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I have a hug?

I had a good night, school open evening, but got to talk to Sarah, and we were talking about how I'm 5 days free :), and she was really sweet

My mood has dropped now though, :(
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Hi
    can I ask how this thread works, I kind of really need to chat to someone, but dont want to intrude on anything thats going on elsewhere,
    thanks x
    Forum Member
    Hi
    can I ask how this thread works, I kind of really need to chat to someone, but dont want to intrude on anything thats going on elsewhere,
    thanks x

I'm not really a regular, I just dip in and out, but as I understand, this thread is here for anyone in crisis. There are a lot of regulars who post and chat and help each other out, but anyone is more than welcome.

Please post if you think we can help :)
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a regular, I just dip in and out, but as I understand, this thread is here for anyone in crisis. There are a lot of regulars who post and chat and help each other out, but anyone is more than welcome.

Please post if you think we can help :)

oh ok, thanks
    Ive never posted here before and didnt really know who does post or what about
    but I just need someone to chat to

thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Everyone. I am also new on here. I'm not sure if I should post this here, because it's not really a crisis. It's just one of my best friends, Kerry, is in a wheelchair, and lately, one of her friends has been self harming and feeling suicidal because she is fed up with being in a wheelchair. Kerry has been trying her best to help her, but now it's starting to make her feel like that as well. Kerry's moods have always gone up and down, and helping Jess has taken her back to the times a few weeks ago when she really felt like she couldn't live anymore. I've been doing my best to help her, but it's upsetting to watch her go through this. Thank you for reading my post, if anybody could offer any advice it would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Jenny XXX
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey

No one has posted here in over a week, just thought I'd pop in and make sure everyone's okay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, (sorry I didnt say this earlier, was trying to find out if I have asthma, my flute teacher thinks i do, so i googled the main symptoms)

Welcome to the newbies, :)

I'm Beth, 16, Leeds, UK
    Recovering (yes, thats right guys. 17 days free today) self harmer

Nice to meet you :) x
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed half of this thread cos the moderators moved it.
    No problem.

My bruv was a keen amateur photographer in Leeds (took an amazing picture of the Town Hall in Black and White which we have framed in our house)

Later did Media TV and Film course at Newcastle. He has had a vidcam since the '80s. Wonderful home footage scattered on various hard drives.

Then got a job at the BBC.

He is very good and well regarded by colleagues.
    Been there donkeys years now. We still watch out for his stories on the news.
    Rageh Omar, John Simpson, Frank Gardner and others request him by name to edit their reports.

So my advice is get a camera, try local papers, get on a college course, apply top broadcasters.

Dissonance - those photos are great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you guys are all doing well.

I'm feeling down again, and think I may have blown my second chance with my ex, after having a bit of a psychotic turn last night when he and his little lad were staying over (little lad saw/heard nothing, thankfully), but obviously he's now scared in case it happens again and I hurt myself badly, or turn on him/them.

I know he has to put his son first, and I'd be angry if he didn't, but this is only my third or fourth psychotic ep in 6 years of knowing I'm bipolar. I manage both my depression and manic sides pretty well (have good insight), but don't have so much to go on with the psychosis, so just didn't spot what was going wrong in time to stop it.

He's been out with his lad for a couple hours now. I have no idea when or if they'll be back. It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm feeling v sorry for myself.

God I hate not being normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, he took his lad back to his ex last night (an hour's drive), and I suspect I won't see him again, as he took everything he'd been keeping at my flat (he'd been living here during the week pretty much), and I only just noticed he's left the keys I'd given him to the flat, too.

So, it's been possibly the worst birthday I can remember. I've only had a couple texts from him saying he thought it'd be best to give me some space. I understand all that, and agree to a point, but the timing really is lousy! All I've done is sit here and cry. Some bloody birthday.
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that Muffin, it sounds like a very sad situation. I do hope you feel better soon. Have you told your GP/CPN about the episode? They mioght be able to help with recognising it, preventing it and minimising the problem.

I feel I want to wish you a happy birthday, but that probably isn't appropriate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I did manage to get hold of the crisis team eventually (being unable to find their number on Sunday was one of the things that made the situation worse), and I do feel on more of an even keel now. am still reeling from the fact that my so-called OH has only texted rather than come to see me today, and has in fact now gone out for a beer cos the whole situation was getting him down. HOW IN GOD'S NAME DOES HE THINK I FEEL, FFS????!!!!!

He claims to want to help, but I have no idea how to explain my situation to him. I can spot mania and depression when they appear on the horizon now, and take avoiding action, but I haven't had a psychotic ep in 20 months, and only intermittently before then, so have v little experience of knowing the signs to look out for in order to take avoiding action. But he seems to be under the impression that I'll be flipping out every five minutes and will never be able to deal with it. I feel he's not even prepared to let me try. I know his son has to be top priority, and wouldn't have it any other way.

I have offered to let him borrow my copy of "You don't have to be famous to have manic depression" and he's read a bit of it. Unfortunately, he only has internet access when he's at mine; anyone got any suggestions for other ways I get info for him to look at???

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, I don't know. But I wish it was happening any other day than today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi everyone hope you are all ok today is my nieces steph's birthday and i feel a bit yucky knowing it could very well be the last time i will wish her happy birthday it just seems so unfair she is such a nice young woman with so much to live for life sucks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my last post went awol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of the long term posters will know me, the new ones not. Well, my daughter C. had a little girl this week by emergency section.

Life can be so cruel, the baby is DOWNs. This after losing a son, Still born, just over 2 years ago. Both by IVF. I will say no more on this as I will crack up.

I myself am having a massive back operation on 28th October 2009. The aim being to finally get rid of my terrible pain.

We try and stay cheerful and positive, but it is not easy. I hope some of you who know me will pick this post up. I have just been keeping myself to the family. and our 2 Greyhounds. Yes we have 2 again.

Pete
    Aka Vale07 & Herbthesherb.
    Forum Member
    jonesyboy, I recognise your name(s) but I have a terrible memory so I don't know if we have chatted before. Just wanted to say I'm sorry your family are going through a tough time at the moment. We seem to have 'lost' a few people since the new thread, hopefully hey'll find a way back soon. Good luck for the operation, I hope it achieves its aim. Do you live near your daughter and your new grandchild?

Having gone through (going through) PND, will your Daughters partner be keeping an eye out for her? She has a few 'risk factors' and these things are best nipped in the bud. Sorry if that is out of line, I just wanted to mention it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi pete sorry to hear about the baby i hope c is ok good luck with your back op and please do keep in touch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonesyboy, I recognise your name(s) but I have a terrible memory so I don't know if we have chatted before. Just wanted to say I'm sorry your family are going through a tough time at the moment. We seem to have 'lost' a few people since the new thread, hopefully hey'll find a way back soon. Good luck for the operation, I hope it achieves its aim. Do you live near your daughter and your new grandchild?

Having gone through (going through) PND, will your Daughters partner be keeping an eye out for her? She has a few 'risk factors' and these things are best nipped in the bud. Sorry if that is out of line, I just wanted to mention it.

I also do not want to sound out of line, but if you knew me and my familys history, you would not have needed to mention PND. Thats not a criticism. I would need to write a book to cover the last 3/4 years and the ups and downs. Unfortunately most of my family know, from personal experience, too much about depression. I will leave it at that, I do not wish to open old wounds.
    sallygill1961 hi pete sorry to hear about the baby i hope c is ok good luck with your back op and please do keep in touch
    I will be back and about. Could be a while though. I have a long recovery period ahead.

Pete
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry not to have been here for some time, but I am delighted the thread is thriving. Great stuff....well, it is but it isn't if you know what I mean. It's not nice going through crap! :) xxx