People who live as though they are stuck in a timewarp

Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(Inspired by the hotel TV lounge thread - sorry to that OP! :o:p)

Does anyone know anybody like this? People who seem twenty, thirty, or even more years behind the rest of us in terms of how they live/dress/think?

I know a few people around where I live who look like they haven't touched their hair since the 80s. Big, poofy perms that 95% of the rest of today's population wouldn't even consider. It always makes me chuckle.

But does anyone have any more extreme examples?

Comments

• Press_EscPress_Esc Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's kind of neat not become too self-reliant on technology and the social-media which revolves around it. I have a basic PC, LCD Screen and a DSLR camera and that's it.
    When it comes to abbreviations such as bluetooth, ipod/ipad/ianything I've not got the faintest clue..and this is from a guy who grew up during the N64 era (showing my age there.)
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press_Esc wrote: »
    I think it's kind of neat not become too self-reliant on technology and the social-media which revolves around it. I have a basic PC, LCD Screen and a DSLR camera and that's it.
    When it comes to abbreviations such as bluetooth, ipod/ipad/ianything I've not got the faintest clue..and this is from a guy who grew up during the N64 era (showing my age there.)

I agree that we're too heavily reliant on technology, but people who don't have the latest iPhone aren't the kind of people I was taking about in my OP. I'm thinking of more extreme examples, like people who won't even touch a compture because they think it will somehow cause them serious mental or otherwise harm...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I know someone who's in a timewarp. He won't replace their ageing CRT with a flat screen (and the TV could do with replacing, you need a pair of binoculars to see it), he's still on dial up internet and his PC runs Windows 98. I don't think Windows 98 is really safe for browsing on these days, plus a lot of modern sites won't work on it. I personally wouldn't use anything older than XP. He doesn't have a mobile and won't do up the house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a work colleague. I'm actually older than him by a couple of months but that comes as a shock to most as they assume he's well into his fifties. He's 47. He wears vests all year round. Modern technology is anathema to him ~ he struggles with the modern office environment and pretends he doesn't know how to pick up anyone else's calls.

His idea for the Christmas "do" was tea and cakes at a local church café. He would not look out of place as an extra in Brief Encounter dressed exactly as he is. He is a man living out of his time.

Other modern things he doesn't do include deodorant sadly. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=cnbcwatcher;57047891He doesn't have a mobile [/QUOTE]

That doesn't seem timewarpy to me. I don't like the way mobile phones have come to totally dominate society myself. I bet quite a few people would rather not have one if not for the belief system that we must all conform.
  • chupchupchupchup Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    So people who don't take up all the modern tech are in a time warp?

More like they haven't been sucked up by marketing.

I find the OP queit condescending in a way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chupchup wrote: »
    So people who don't take up all the modern tech are in a time warp?

More like they haven't been sucked up by marketing.

I find the OP queit condescending in a way.

If you read my other posts in this thread, I'm not saying that at all...
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Following the herd, srs bsns.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Just because something new is available, it doesn't mean there is an obligation to use it. I quite admire people who do things 'the old way'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought people would probably take this thread the wrong way. Oh well!
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »

Well to be honest it came across as a way of making fun of people because they, dont dress in, dont have or dont like things that other people do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cell phone was robbed almost a month ago. The first 24 hours after that were hellish, but now I can't see myself ever buying another. I'm not wearing crinoline btw.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I dont live in a timewarp but i still call the radio "the wireless", even though i am only in my 30's.
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum and stepdad still insist on watching EastEnders and Holby City etc on BBC One SD rather BBC One HD despite their being a 42 inch Plasma TV in the living room and my grandparents still think it is 1961, (when I asked them, just to test them to see if they still know what year it is, they said "1961.").
  • chupchupchupchup Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    If you read my other posts in this thread, I'm not saying that at all...

Sorry Laura, but your first post generally sets the tone, unless of course you would have indicated otherwise.

Sorry if I misunderstood it.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    I have a work colleague. I'm actually older than him by a couple of months but that comes as a shock to most as they assume he's well into his fifties. He's 47. He wears vests all year round. Modern technology is anathema to him ~ he struggles with the modern office environment and pretends he doesn't know how to pick up anyone else's calls.

His idea for the Christmas "do" was tea and cakes at a local church café. He would not look out of place as an extra in Brief Encounter dressed exactly as he is. He is a man living out of his time.

Other modern things he doesn't do include deodorant sadly. :(

Apart from the aversion to deodrant :o it must be a far less stressful way to live, without the pressures of dealing with new technology, trying to keep up with it all and having to deal with it when it breaks down! my broadband connection failed last weekend and my entire life appeared to have come to a standstill! it really brought home to me how much I rely on my lap top to organise my life, thank goodness my blackberry was still in working order otherwise I really would have been frantic :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I dont live in a timewarp but i still call the radio "the wireless", even though i am only in my 30's.

Sure you're not from the 30s!?:p
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I often see a man around town who must be in his early 40s, who dresses entirely like an early rock 'n' roller/Teddy Boy, with a zoot suit, long chain, quiffed hairstyle and all the gear. I reckon he's one of those people who has a house to match, with all the 1950's furniture etc in it. I always enjoy seeing him, no-one else looks as he does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there's a couple that live near me that look like something from the 80s and not in a modern "inspired by the 80s with a modern twist" way - proper 80s they even push their baby around in a hideous Victorian pram the kind that was popular in the 80s... I honestly think sometimes they're not real and I'm seeing the ghosts of a young family from the 80s killed in some tragic accident omg :D:confused::o:D
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Sure you're not from the 30s!?:p
    HAA:D;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone got on the bus today who was in my year at school, I'm in my 30s. She was like a bloody Les Dawson gossiping apple woman, who hadn't mastered the art of whispering but stuck with a high pitched squawk. She made me feel good about myself though.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people have insecurities. Sticking to what you know is a comfort.

And why spend all your money on clothes, technology, new kitchens and bathrooms etc.
    Some do, some don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    Apart from the aversion to deodrant :o it must be a far less stressful way to live, without the pressures of dealing with new technology, trying to keep up with it all and having to deal with it when it breaks down! my broadband connection failed last weekend and my entire life appeared to have come to a standstill! it really brought home to me how much I rely on my lap top to organise my life, thank goodness my blackberry was still in working order otherwise I really would have been frantic :D

:D

I'm sure it is lovely for him. Unfortunately it's horrendously stressful for everyone he works with. Technology is a fact of modern office life and having him pretend to be a numpty (he so can pick up other peoples calls as I've seen him) just dumps on the rest of us.

Having said that he has a very, very old mobile. It's about 6" x 3" and so big he has to keep it in a real sock. :D A knee length one at that. :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there's a couple that live near me that look like something from the 80s and not in a modern "inspired by the 80s with a modern twist" way - proper 80s they even push their baby around in a hideous Victorian pram the kind that was popular in the 80s... I honestly think sometimes they're not real and I'm seeing the ghosts of a young family from the 80s killed in some tragic accident omg :D:confused::o:D

Those Victorian style prams are creepy looking, aren't they? Like something out of a sinister old nursery rhyme. :D
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lady I see around who always wears a headscarf, and by that I mean one like this. I've been seeing her for years and I've never seen her without it, whatever the weather.