Christians Have No Right To Wear The Cross/Crucifix At Work, Govt Says

nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9136191/Christians-have-no-right-to-wear-cross-at-work-says-Government.html#disqus_thread

In a highly significant move, ministers will fight a case at the European Court of Human Rights in which two British women will seek to establish their right to display the cross.

It is the first time that the Government has been forced to state whether it backs the right of Christians to wear the symbol at work.

A document seen by The Sunday Telegraph discloses that ministers will argue that because it is not a “requirement” of the Christian faith, employers can ban the wearing of the cross and sack workers who insist on doing so ...

Shocking!

Comments

• mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't particularly hold to the idea of any garment or outward symbolism being a "requirement" of that respective faith, so I think that any laws that make selective allowances either way are ridiculous.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an easy way around this if the anglican church is so keen to have the right to openly display a crucifix at work. Make it a requirement of the faith like the turban or hijab are. Then employers couldn't ban it without infringing on the rights of christians to have freedom of religion.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if they have a cross tattooed on their neck?
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who really gives a shit about this? If someone wants to wear a cross, then as long as there's no pratical reason not to allow it, just ****ing allow it for christ sake, and maybe we could try concentrating on more pressing matters.

Sometimes I wish this planet would just implode.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next up:

No displays of the Union Flag on buildings, nor the Crosses of Saints George, Andrew and Patrick.

No members of the clergy to wear crosses/crucifixes at work.

No medals to be issued by Her Majesty The Queen.

Red Cross to remove their insignia.

No hot cross buns to be baked at supermarkets and bakers....
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just another footnote in the decline of superstition and relentless march of education. I personally couldn't care less if somebody wears a cross, but feel a bit uneasy when laws are passed in order to speed up the process.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    What if they have a cross tattooed on their neck?

I'm not usually into tattoos but I feel like getting one tattoed on my forehead.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Next up:

No displays of the Union Flag on buildings, nor the Crosses of Saints George, Andrew and Patrick.

LOL. Nice. Nothing there I could madly object to.

Although I think you're confusing the trappings of 19thC flagwaving imperialism with some cult or other.:D

Yep, must admit I don't want to see someone's cross or crucifix. It makes me doubt their professionalism/intelligence/judgement. If I saw a surgeon, about to operate on me, wearing one I'd be well freaked out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next up:

Heh, now you're just degenerating into a Richard Littlejohn parody. "You couldn't make it up, PC gone mad" etc etc
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    I agree with it, but only as long as all other religious symbols/clothing are also banned, including turbans and burqas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd to think of a bunch of human beings thinking up things that they want to stop other human beings from doing. I mean, I'm ok with the "not killing" and "not nicking stuff" laws, but petty little ****wit things like this just make me want to wear a cross. And I'm an atheist for crying out loud.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not usually into tattoos but I feel like getting one tattoed on my forehead.

If you suspect you may have to attend such things as job interviews, public engagements, or parties, then I'd strongly recommend you forget about the forehead tattoo :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    LOL. Nice. Nothing there I could madly object to.

Although I think you're confusing the trappings of 19thC flagwaving imperialism with some cult or other.:D

Yep, must admit I don't want to see someone's cross or crucifix. It makes me doubt their professionalism/intelligence/judgement. If I saw a surgeon, about to operate on me, wearing one I'd be well freaked out.

Glad you liked it, I'm sure.

Our flags are Christian Crosses, as our Nation is Christian.
    Yep, must admit I don't want to see someone's cross or crucifix. It makes me doubt their professionalism/intelligence/judgement. If I saw a surgeon, about to operate on me, wearing one I'd be well freaked out

Of course you do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Heh, now you're just degenerating into a Richard Littlejohn parody. "You couldn't make it up, PC gone mad" etc etc

Who?

..... filler
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you liked it, I'm sure.

Our flags are Christian Crosses, as our Nation is Christian..

Some of it is....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    If you suspect you may have to attend such things as job interviews, public engagements, or parties, then I'd strongly recommend you forget about the forehead tattoo :D

Nope. I'm about to become active in civil disobedience for the first time in my life. ;)

I have worn my Cross around my neck for decades, and nobody is going to make me remove it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who?

..... filler

The point is that employers have the right to dictate the uniform and appearance of their staff as long as their rules aren't illegal. Not quite the same as wholesale banning of cross symbols across the country by the EU
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    The point is that employers have the right to dictate the uniform and appearance of their staff as long as their rules aren't illegal. Not quite the same as wholesale banning of cross symbols across the country by the EU

I think it's fine so long as other religions are given the same treatment by, for example, by banning the burqa from our streets workplaces and classrooms. I don't recall Jesus telling us that we need to wear crosses around our necks to be Christians.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iannai wrote: »
    I find it odd to think of a bunch of human beings thinking up things that they want to stop other human beings from doing. I mean, I'm ok with the "not killing" and "not nicking stuff" laws, but petty little ****wit things like this just make me want to wear a cross. And I'm an atheist for crying out loud.

They're not saying you can't wear it, they're saying its not a HUMAN RIGHT to wear it, therefore employers are free to ban it if they so wish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fine so long as other religions are given the same treatment by, for example, by banning the burqa from our streets workplaces and classrooms. I don't recall Jesus telling us that we need to wear crosses around our necks to be Christians.

True but other religions would argue that banning, say, the turban or hijab is illegal as it infringes on their human rights as that dress is a requirement of their religion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    They're not saying you can't wear it, they're saying its not a HUMAN RIGHT to wear it, therefore employers are free to ban it if they so wish.

But it is a human right for Abu Qatada to walk free. Go figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »

Oh, ok, so they're not banning it directly, they're just giving the green light for some OTHER human beings to stop people from wearing something.

Glad that's cleared up then. When do we start on the important things?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah it's something ridiculous to get worked up about.

I would indeed think that say a doctor, or a lawyer or a teacher was being highly unprofessional if I clocked a cross round their neck. I'd also question their ability to be doing a job that requires you to think clearly, and not be superstitious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is a human right for Abu Qatada to walk free. Go figure.

Well yeah, it is a human right to not get locked up without due process or get tortured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but other religions would argue that banning, say, the turban or hijab is illegal as it infringes on their human rights as that dress is a requirement of their religion.

It all seems so ridiculous, and wouldn't it be amazing if you could pull all of these indoctrinated folk out of their respective faith boxes, and show them how insane their superstitions were from a neutral perspective. Nobody's imaginary friends are more powerful or righteous than any other persons imaginary friends, for one good reason - THEY ARE NOT REAL!