Options

Fiona Phillips - Daybreak Out Of Touch

occyoccy Posts: 65,148
Forum Member
✭✭
Former GMTV presenter and broadcaster Fiona Phillips who is currently doing the paper review on BBC Radio 2 breakfast show with Richard Madeley was asked, " What you think about Daybreak" She replied , " they are out of touch" - Although she did say " She likes Adrian and Christine" I did hear her say this. I think Richard and her knew the Mail would pick this comment up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1328370/Daybreak-slammed-GMTV-star-Fiona-Phillips-touch.html?ITO=1490

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona Phillips got the job at GMTV because she was married to the programme editor. Otherwise I doubt she would have found work even on Radio Orkney (apologies to anyone on Radio Orkney but you know what I mean). And whatever happened to all those exciting projects she left GMTV for - I don't think reading the papers on Radio 2 counts.
  • Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet she'd give her right arm to be on Daybreak now....;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her a lot, but she seems unpopular on forums. I'm not sure that the this view is widespread beyond the forums. Besides, she's only saying what most on here are saying about Daybreak anyway.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it doesn't take much intelligence to state the blinding obvious as far as Daybreak is concerned, but Feef Phillips was hardly Miss Popular at GMTV. The work offers didn't exactly flood in after her departure.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised some havn't been asked to front the show when Adrian and Christine are off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Well, it doesn't take much intelligence to state the blinding obvious as far as Daybreak is concerned, but Feef Phillips was hardly Miss Popular at GMTV. The work offers didn't exactly flood in after her departure.
    yup, I agree with everything you've just said. I still like her though.
  • Options
    PCRosePCRose Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Fiona Phillips got the job at GMTV because she was married to the programme editor. Otherwise I doubt she would have found work even on Radio Orkney (apologies to anyone on Radio Orkney but you know what I mean). And whatever happened to all those exciting projects she left GMTV for - I don't think reading the papers on Radio 2 counts.

Absolutle rubbish. She was employed with GMTV long before she and Martin Frizzell got together.
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Fiona. Nothing against her as a person, but I do not think she is a good presenter at all - I stopped watching GMTV because so many of her howlers made me cringe. Having said that, she's right in what she says about Daybreak, and I think she is actually a better presenter than either Christine or Adrian (but that's not saying much really).
  • Options
    julicovajulicova Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Puzzled by Fiona. I thought she wanted to spend more time with her family. I was impressed how she has cared for both her mother and father who had/have Alzheimers. She made a programme about this and I was impressed with her caring nature and honesty. I don't see why she has to worry about TV programmes now. She doesn't need to prove herself to anyone.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona herself became out of touch with her target audience who all don't vote Labour or believe in it's values.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bang goes any future guest presenter spots for Fiona on Daybreak!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    a lot of these supposedly "bubbly and popular" presenters are total no-marks who vastly overrate their value in the job market...deluded talking heads.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with her though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiona and Dicky together:eek: I feel unwell.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Fiona Phillips got the job at GMTV because she was married to the programme editor.

Hardly.

When they married, she was already the showbiz presenter for GMTV based in LA and he was a lowly roving reporter.

She is totally right about Daybreak. For a start, the set it totally wrong for a breakfast show. That kind of clinical setting, cold materials, sharp furnishings, harsh lighting and dark scene out of the window is not what you want to see when you get up in the morning. The only thing colder than the set is one of the presenters.

The way Adrian says Christine's name and she says his at the start of the show and after every break is really grating now too.
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't she guest host Lorraine this week? Won't that be a bit awkward??
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno about all week but yes just seen that Fifi was presenting Lorraine today as I flicked through the channels. It was still called Lorraine though.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daybreak is poor, but Feef Phillips is hardly the person to be pontificating - and she's still content to take a wage from ITV when she guest presents Lorraine's show!!
  • Options
    PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly.

When they married, she was already the showbiz presenter for GMTV based in LA and he was a lowly roving reporter.

She is totally right about Daybreak. For a start, the set it totally wrong for a breakfast show. That kind of clinical setting, cold materials, sharp furnishings, harsh lighting and dark scene out of the window is not what you want to see when you get up in the morning. The only thing colder than the set is one of the presenters.

The way Adrian says Christine's name and she says his at the start of the show and after every break is really grating now too.

Well said about her hubby's role.I think Fiona was on the sofa for a year or so before Martin was made editor. I used to really enjoy her showbiz reports. She was a little tongue and cheek and her banter with Eamon was funny then. She became annoying to me when she got on that sofa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw her on the cooking slot yesterday. She wittered on and on in her usual inane way and wouldn't let Ainsley or Ben Elton get a word in. It totally ruined the slot and at one point she literally shouted over Ben. He looked as if he wanted to slap her. She really is even worse than I remember!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw her on the cooking slot yesterday. She wittered on and on in her usual inane way and wouldn't let Ainsley or Ben Elton get a word in. It totally ruined the slot and at one point she literally shouted over Ben. He looked as if he wanted to slap her. She really is even worse than I remember!

I was thinking the same
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    She's a bit of a milf tho' .:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona and Dicky together:eek: I feel unwell.

Wouldn't it be brilliant for all those 'how on earth can you say that?' moments!

Cringeworthy and unmissable :D
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's still got the column with the Mirror? I always found her a bit annoying on GMTV she comes across as a working class Tory a bit like that Sun columnist Jane someone.

Daybreak has improved recently but that's been largely down to Kate Garraway's presence - I doubt whether Christine Bleakley will survive long term in the role but Adrian Chiles is probably more likely to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is utterly talentless and only managed to retain her place on the GMTV sofa because she was married to Frizzell. With her level of intelligence and talent I will take her opinion and wipe my backside with it.