BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Student at university.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 19 and have never had a job.
    I'm also starting a degree in Oxford next month and they don't let you get a job during term time so I probably won't have a job for the next 4 years.... :blush:
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I was working on the check out at my parents' shop at that age. The boredom of that job was what led me to go to university and do a degree course.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also starting a degree in Oxford next month and they don't let you get a job during term time so I probably won't have a job for the next 4 years.... :blush:

Well done :) !
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

That's not a rule, it's advice. In fact, about 1 in 5 Oxford students have part-time jobs throughout the year.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 20 I was an undergraduate doing a degree with two part time jobs - working in a bookies (Ladbrokes) on a Saturday day time and working in a pub on a Friday and Saturday night. And during the summer break when I was 20 I worked in a record shop during the week for a few weeks.

Total wages (this was 1984): Ladbrokes - £10 plus £1 for my lunch for the Saturday (11am to 5.30pm), £7.50 for two nights in the pub (7pm to 10.30pm) and £50 per week in the record shop in the summer ( 5 days each week, from 9.30am to 5.30pm :o.) Not exactly the best wages in the world but it was better than nothing... and during the summer it was much more than I would have got on the dole, which was just £25 per week back then.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Philanthropist.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Well done :) !

Thanks. :)
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    That's not a rule, it's advice. In fact, about 1 in 5 Oxford students have part-time jobs throughout the year.

Well I've been told many times that it's a rule (by students there), so I assumed it was, but when I think about it, I've never actually looked at the official rules so you may be right.
    Regardless I really can't see myself getting a job during term time.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working in a factory that had poor working conditions. It was hard, boring graft for low pay. We got the minimum wage of £3.60 an hour when that was introduced and £3.87 if on nights which was a significant pay rise from the £2.20/hour they were giving me when I started a few months earlier.

Health and Safety must have forgotton about the place, as it was ramshackle as anything with broken this, that and the other. It was freezing in there in the winter and boiling in the summer.

It was the type of place where new starters would regularly quit after half an hour and as a result they'd employ anyone. Loads of illegal immigrants went through there, and we had a couple of raids. There were some dodgy sorts with checkered pasts and people with problems relating to addiction and mental health. There was one guy with alcoholism problems who was living there for a while. We also had an armed robbery on payday once.

It was shit, but I did get a sense of achievement from working there, proud that I could stick with it when lots couldn't. Met some interesting people and saw some interesting sights too.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working in a West End retail store.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At college.......I hadn't really had a job by age 21 apart from a few weeks temping in the office my Mum worked in between school and university
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I was serving in the Royal Navy by that age.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at drama school so was living mainly off my student loan. But in the holidays I was a painter/decorator and a tea room assistant at a garden centre.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I cleaned houses part time in between lectures at university. One of best jobs I've had!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i was a full time mum doing piece work at home, assembling scraps of chamois into foot square pieces. i think i was getting about a tenner for 100.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked in tesco behind the deli counter ( had done since I was 15) and also had a pub job at night- I liked my money :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a teenage Mum of a very beautiful son. I was also undergoing cancer treatment. My son is now 27. I am on my 3rd fight with the C word.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    @WoodenCat I wish you all the very best with your treatment :)

At 20 I was an Assistant Personnel Officer.
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotel cleaner in Greece. Office manager now but that time in Greece was the best time of my life.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pothead
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Production Assistant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Lushness that is very kind and appreciated :)
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blood Transfusion Service working with Aids and Hep B infected blood for a wage of £2.20 an hour. This was in 1989
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would've been 1st year of University, so barman/bouncer at a right grotty little place. It paid for beer though.

Good choice. What college you planning on?