Options

High creatinine and urea in dog

leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We often take our Greyhound to blood donation events and he always has a full set of blood tests. His Creatinine and Urea are usually slightly up but this last time they were up a bit more. The readings were 215.3 umol/l for the Creatinine and 10.3 mmol/l for the Urea. We took him to our vets and they were initially surprised the blood bank was making a fuss but repeated the tests and have found them to still be elevated. The vet is unsure what this could be in an otherwise fit and healthy dog. He's only 5 too. Apparantly it is odd for them both to be up? The vet is going to have a word with some other vets tomorrow and ring us back. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Comments

• Options
    *Confidential**Confidential* Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We often take our Greyhound to blood donation events and he always has a full set of blood tests. His Creatinine and Urea are usually slightly up but this last time they were up a bit more. The readings were 215.3 umol/l for the Creatinine and 10.3 mmol/l for the Urea. We took him to our vets and they were initially surprised the blood bank was making a fuss but repeated the tests and have found them to still be elevated. The vet is unsure what this could be in an otherwise fit and healthy dog. He's only 5 too. Apparantly it is odd for them both to be up? The vet is going to have a word with some other vets tomorrow and ring us back. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Cant offer on dogs, but a 'no longer with me', cat of mine had significantly high creatinine levels, youngish cat (7) and it wasn't good news, kidneys were in an advanced state of disease. Like your vet, mine too said it was highly unusual for a cat of her age and was perplexed. Dogs may be different.

Let's know how you get on and what the vet says.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are elevated, but are certainly not the highest results I've ever seen! The dog may just be dehydrated, or have a kidney infection. Your own vets will be the best people to advise... Has your dog been exposed to anything that could be toxic to it lately? Chocolate, raisins etc?
    If it was my dog, I'd ask for it to be put on a drip for a couple of days to flush the kidneys through, then re-test the kidney enzymes afterwards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be a kidney problem, until about 25% of the kidney function is left there will be no pain or symptoms, as you reach end stage kidney failure then you will start seeing symptoms which will likely be the dog drinking a lot of water than normal and when you look at the pee it will be colourless and orderless.

If you catch the kidney prob early enough you can manage it with a low renal diet to help preserve what kidney function is left.

I am very surprised by your vets confusion, I would see another vet or one of the senior partners of the practice asap as time is the key here.