Wanting a wireless mouse?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I`ve seen this wireless mouse http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet%C2%AE-M002-Cordless-Optical-Mouse/dp/B001DHECXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380729259&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+gaming+mouse gets good reviews. I just wondered if anyone has it? Need to know what its like for gaming.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like a cheap knock off of a small wireless Logitech mouse I bought in 2008:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Cordless-Laser-Mouse-Notebooks/dp/B000U75V02/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380733003&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+nano+mouse

At under a tenner it might be worth a risk...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    At a £9 price for a wireless mouse, I'd be very wary of it. Really cheap optical mice tend to have quite poor sensors which are prone to "creep" or sudden jumps on anything but ideal surfaces for them to work on, and being wireless as well means it must be bargain-bin standard.

If you know someone with a laptop machine but without a mouse, or you need a spare for yourself, feel free to try this one, but I doubt it will live up to gaming duty.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    At a £9 price for a wireless mouse, I'd be very wary of it. Really cheap optical mice tend to have quite poor sensors which are prone to "creep" or sudden jumps on anything but ideal surfaces for them to work on, and being wireless as well means it must be bargain-bin standard.

If you know someone with a laptop machine but without a mouse, or you need a spare for yourself, feel free to try this one, but I doubt it will live up to gaming duty.

It does get good reviews but I want one for gaming and at £9 im not sure it would be any good.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    It does get good reviews but I want one for gaming and at £9 im not sure it would be any good.

If it 'is' the same chassis as the Logitech, and it certainly looks like it is, then I'd say no matter how good the optics may or may not be, it's too small for prolonged use without your hand becoming claw-like.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used a wireless mouse for gaming in the past, but found that battery life was fairly poor (presumably due to the heavy usage involved) so switched back to a wired mouse.

There's a couple of cheap wireless mice here, but I'd go wired and spend more money if I were you. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=23&groupid=702&sortby=priceAsc&subid=1257
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to a mate of mine who is really into gaming, wireless mice are not good enough for games as they have a latency, which is why here always get a wired mouse.

Not sure how true that is, but I stopped using wireless mice 2-3 years back because I got fed up of having to buy or recharge the batteries,
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that many good reviews, I don't think you can really go wrong with it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    According to a mate of mine who is really into gaming, wireless mice are not good enough for games as they have a latency, which is why here always get a wired mouse.

Not sure how true that is, but I stopped using wireless mice 2-3 years back because I got fed up of having to buy or recharge the batteries,

There will be slightly more latency in it but box X-Box 360 and PS3 have wireless controllers so i don't think it's a big issue.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son is a heavy 'gamer' and uses a wireless mouse without issue; he'd not use anything that may spoil his games lol. He paid about a tenner for it as a temporary measure but its worked so well he never bought a more expensive one. They are heavier on batteries but thats no big deal.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Logitech.. I vote for them, i had a problem with a wireless mouse just under 3 years old (it came with a keyboard as well). They are sending out a replacement as well as a new keyboard as its a set :)

whoop whoop... thanks for the advice on here for getting em to contact them.. but logitech are great customer service
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its half true. Anything under about £40 will be better spent on a wired one. But if you willing to shell out a bit of dosh, wireless is fine.

The latency only really effects the cheaper ones, and of course they tend to have poor battery life.

You get what you pay for, unless you are willing to spend upshot of £50, just get a wired one and get a USB extender cable if you need to be far away from your computer.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found out the other day you can get an XBox 360 controller for PC costing £20. I ordered one and am now waiting for delivery. It's wired, so might suit your gaming needs better.
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I found out the other day you can get an XBox 360 controller for PC costing £20. I ordered one and am now waiting for delivery. It's wired, so might suit your gaming needs better.

Depends on the game - joypads are not as good for FPS type games
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Depends on the game - joypads are not as good for FPS type games

Which makes me wonder how console users manage :)

My controller has now arrived and is installed - by 'eck, it doesn't half take some getting used to!
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder how console users manage :)

My controller has now arrived and is installed - by 'eck, it doesn't half take some getting used to!

I could't manage when I had an Xbox 360! :D I struggled with games that don't suit a pad.

I do find it nice though when you get used to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Its half true. Anything under about £40 will be better spent on a wired one. But if you willing to shell out a bit of dosh, wireless is fine.

The latency only really effects the cheaper ones, and of course they tend to have poor battery life.

You get what you pay for, unless you are willing to spend upshot of £50, just get a wired one and get a USB extender cable if you need to be far away from your computer.

I would have agreed with you a couple or three years ago but these days the cheaper 'gaming' ones well up to the job. As I said in an earlier reply my lad now uses a cheap wireless gaming mouse with absolutely no problems and no latency issues... he takes his game play very, very seriously so I value his opinion.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I would have agreed with you a couple or three years ago but these days the cheaper 'gaming' ones well up to the job. As I said in an earlier reply my lad now uses a cheap wireless gaming mouse with absolutely no problems and no latency issues... he takes his game play very, very seriously so I value his opinion.

Which mouse has he got and how long do the batteries last. I wouldn't say im a serious gamer. Just every now and again I'll play. The only game I've been playing at the moment is football manager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Which mouse has he got and how long do the batteries last. I wouldn't say im a serious gamer. Just every now and again I'll play. The only game I've been playing at the moment is football manager.

I'll find out and let you know. I'm using one made by Trust it its heavier on batteries than my old one but it uses AAA batteries which won't help. We only use rechargeable these days, Sanyo Eneloop are top jolly. They come ready charged and most importantly they hold their charge; well worth looking at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »

As I have said, I am not a gamer, but I trust my mates advice on that as he is a gamer, mainly MMO's or what ever they are called. He is the one that pointed me to my Logitech G500 mouse, he had a older version. i am not sure what he have got now, I know it can be used as wireless or wired.

Like video cards, i took his advice when I wanted a new video card as he knew what was good at the price range I wanted.

I lost touch with video cards as I my old one did the job i wanted.

I now got a wired keyboard and mouse, at the end of the day if it is one the same desk as the screen and close to the computer, then may as well go for wired.

I don't know how consoles cope with the delay, maybe they take account of it with coding or maybe it is not a issue on consoles. Mate told me he would not use a console for gaming these days, a computer with mouse and keyboard is far better.
    Forum Member
    A
    I don't know how consoles cope with the delay, maybe they take account of it with coding or maybe it is not a issue on consoles. Mate told me he would not use a console for gaming these days, a computer with mouse and keyboard is far better.

The delay is not long enough to be noticeable so not a factor unless the wireless part is not working properly.

And if he is playing mainly MMOs which are all online then the lag from the server to his PC would be the main issue.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only really go for the expensive gear. Im quite the PC gamer in FPS, MMO.

Some months ago i bought the Razer Ouroboros, wow what a bag of crap it is, cost me £107 i think from Currys. Some years ago i bought my first Razer item, a wireless mouse, that was crap as well, i was gutted.

Now ive been using Logitech G602 for about a week. Ive usually had issues with logitech wireless mice in the past so i vowed to never buy one again, but i thought id give this G602 a shot as my really last go at trusting logitech.
    This G602 is so awesome! For £70 it is THE best mouse - wired or wireless ive ever had, i cant praise it enough, 11/10 in everything. Early days though its only been a week.

Logitech are hit or miss for me.
    Razer are all loss. I wont be touching one of their items ever again even if they paid me the minimum wage to use them. Quite shocking when they are one of the most expensive PC gaming keyboard/mouse makers, when they cant even compare to a £10 mouse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The delay is not long enough to be noticeable so not a factor unless the wireless part is not working properly.

And if he is playing mainly MMOs which are all online then the lag from the server to his PC would be the main issue.

Well said. Before FTTC server lag even at about a 12 or 15mb/s connection could affect games (for my lad). We use wireless keyboards and mouse in most rooms of the house where PC base units are plugged into TV's for accessing the net and home network with no problems. I'm overseas at the moment and woke up early, made a coffee and am sitting in bed typing this reply on a laptop and using a wireless mouse (Logitech M175); none of the mice were expensive IIRC, maybe about £25 or £30 for a logitech or two but the Chinese ones we have are working fine too (about a tenner or less).

Things like a mouse and keyboard are often subjective to the user, my favourite keyboards are and old IBM and a Samsung but others favour different makes...whatever floats your boat I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't play games, he have tried to get me into MMO's, but it is not for me. His ping is pretty good most of the time, but of cause would be higher than the delay on his mouse.

i just got fed up of the unreliability of wireless mice and keyboards, even coming from big names like Microsoft and Logitech. I like Logitech stuff, I think they make great mice, keyboards and webcams, but only if they are wired.

He is on ADSl, he don't see the need to get FTTC as he have a good speed on ADSL and a reliable connection, so I presume he don't want to muck it up.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liability of wireless mice and keyboards, even coming from big names like Microsoft and Logitech. I like Logitech stuff,.
    Try the new G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse. I have mine on the lowest settings, i really cant see/feel any difference even in the slightest of slightest compared to wired mice. Ive tried quite a fair few of each over the last 15 years.

Im also using this Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750, its pretty good... no batteries and wires, performance seems equal to a wired keyboard.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The one thing I'd always be wary about with a wireless mouse is that they can tend to go into "standby" mode pretty quickly which can force you to press a button or wiggle the mouse to wake it up and ruin the gaming ability.

I had a wireless logitech mouse for years and it was always fine for gaming.
    I was short of cash when it broke so I replaced it with a cheaper one and it gave me all sorts of headaches.
    First thing I did, when I got some cash, was replace it with another Logitech mouse.