Options

James Corden 'to replace Craig Ferguson as host of The Late Late Show'

Comments

• Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chairman of CBS Entertainment Nina Tassler added: "James Corden is a rare entertainment force who combines irresistible charm, warmth and originality with a diverse range of creative instincts and performance talent.

"He is the ultimate multi-hyphenate - a writer, creator and performer who is loved and respected in every medium he touches, including theatre, comedy, music, film and television.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a595368/james-corden-confirmed-as-new-host-of-cbss-the-late-late-show.html#~oPiZxQPYOPKLmo#ixzz3Cl8Gr6jY
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Americans eh?

Bleeeuuuggghhh
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of his but ALOTO is one of my favourite shows, and he does a good job hosting that show. I'll be surprised if they continue with that show if he can't do it anymore as the reason that show works so well is because of the banter between Corden and the team captains. Hope I'm wrong though.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratings DISASTER!!
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    He is a fantastic host on ALOTO. It's an interesting choice, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One United wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of his but ALOTO is one of my favourite shows, and he does a good job hosting that show. I'll be surprised if they continue with that show if he can't do it anymore as the reason that show works so well is because of the banter between Corden and the team captains. Hope I'm wrong though.

He won't be able to do ALOTO any more as the show in the states will be full time. They usually tape it about 7 or 8pm in the evening and he'll likely be preparing for it most of the day as well.

I suspect Sky will replace him rather than end the show though.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I imagine CBS have to find out when Letterman will announce his final show but I imagine the new Late Late Show will arrive first followed by The Late Show a few months later. Fallon did Late Night before Conan started his Tonight Show so it's not unusual

CBS will obviously want to time the premiers of the new ‘Late Show’ and the new ‘Late Late show’ to achieve best results, but they also have to consider that Craig Fergusons contract ends in December this year, and he’s confirmed his final show will be 19th December.
    Seeing as Letterman hasn’t even announced his final show yet, and the fact that there will need to be a gap between him leaving and Stephen Colbert starting (as the Ed Sullivan Theatre will need time to be completely remodelled), I suspect we might not see the new ‘Late Show’ until September 2015 or later.
    So what are CBS going to air at 12:30am in the meantime? Even if they decide to premier the new ‘Late Late Show’ a few months before the new ‘Late Show’ there is still going to be 6 months to fill. And I can’t believe they will air 6 months of Ferguson reruns, they will literally handing viewers to NBC who they might not get back.

He won't be able to do ALOTO any more as the show in the states will be full time. They usually tape it about 7 or 8pm in the evening and he'll likely be preparing for it most of the day as well.

I suspect Sky will replace him rather than end the show though.

Assuming CBS keep things the same (which I assume they will), Corden will be required to tape the Late Late Show at 5pm every weekday (or maybe Mon to Thu) in Los Angeles. Plus there will obviously be all the prep work too, so it’ll very much be a full time job.
    However, if he really wanted to continue hosting ALOTO he could. The Late Late Show will probably have about 10 weeks off throughout the year, so he could fly back and tape a whole series of ALOTO over a week if Sky allowed it. Plus he might well have Fridays off (a lot of US talk shows either don’t do a Friday show or tape 2 shows on Thursday) allowing him to fly back to the UK for the weekend and tape some ALOTO shows. It would be a manic schedule but nothing that other people haven’t done in the past, Piers Morgan (CNN and ITV Life Stories) and Jeremy Kyle (both his US and UK shows) spring to mind as hosting US and UK shows simultaneously. Plus reality shows have had judges do the same (Simon Cowell, Len Goodman, Sharon Osbourne, Mel B etc.)
    But I suspect he’ll want to focus all his time and effort on making the Late Late Show a success, initially at least.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least he's now off our screens!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least he's now off our screens!

I’d be surprised if a UK broadcaster didn’t pick up the Late Late Show once James Corden takes over as host, not a major channel but one of the digital spin offs maybe. The problem is, the 12:30am shows don’t always have the A list-ers the 11:30pm shows have, so UK audiences probably won’t know half the guests. It’s not going to have the big names The Tonight Show has...
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if a UK broadcaster didn’t pick up the Late Late Show once James Corden takes over as host, not a major channel but one of the digital spin offs maybe. The problem is, the 12:30am shows don’t always have the A list-ers the 11:30pm shows have, so UK audiences probably won’t know half the guests. It’s not going to have the big names The Tonight Show has...

It always amazes me how popular these shows are, seeing as they're on so late:o:confused:
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its unfortunate that CBS do not have any channels in the UK markets, and are not likely too either.

It surprises me that NBC hold the Tonight Show back as filler on CNBC when it would fit nicely on E! (especially now Chelsea has gone, although they will probably pick up the new Grace Helbig show)

Sky 1 might try the Late Late Show out but I dont thinks it likely, I've always wondered why Netflix have never thought of picking them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Its unfortunate that CBS do not have any channels in the UK markets, and are not likely too either.

It surprises me that NBC hold the Tonight Show back as filler on CNBC when it would fit nicely on E! (especially now Chelsea has gone, although they will probably pick up the new Grace Helbig show)

Sky 1 might try the Late Late Show out but I dont thinks it likely, I've always wondered why Netflix have never thought of picking them up.

Do CBS not have any connection to any UK channels anymore? What about the CBS channels on Sky, they still own a percentage of them don’t they? And does the ‘new’ Viacom have any connection to CBS, they’re in the process of buying Channel 5 and its digital spin offs?
    Either way, it could go anywhere if a broadcaster is interested, ITV2, Sky One, E4, Comedy Central etc.

I agree about NBC Universal, if there isn’t a UK broadcaster interested in The Tonight Show I would have thought E! would have been a better fit to dump it on rather than CNBC. Having said that CNBC do seem to be quite loyal to the programme so I’m not complaining.

As for Netflix (in the UK) I suspect they think the cost can’t be justified. Judging by how many late night talk shows have been dropped by UK broadcasters over the years following low ratings I can only conclude that they aren’t cheap to get the rights to (plus there’s the added effort of receiving, reviewing, and editing a daily programme).

I think the biggest issue with a UK broadcaster being interested in the Late Late Show with James Corden is the fact that the guests will be unknown to UK audiences most of the time (due to its 12:30am slot) despite the host being a household name. Like I said, it’s not going to have the guest list of The Tonight Show.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBS will obviously want to time the premiers of the new ‘Late Show’ and the new ‘Late Late show’ to achieve best results, but they also have to consider that Craig Fergusons contract ends in December this year, and he’s confirmed his final show will be 19th December.
    Seeing as Letterman hasn’t even announced his final show yet, and the fact that there will need to be a gap between him leaving and Stephen Colbert starting (as the Ed Sullivan Theatre will need time to be completely remodelled), I suspect we might not see the new ‘Late Show’ until September 2015 or later.
    So what are CBS going to air at 12:30am in the meantime? Even if they decide to premier the new ‘Late Late Show’ a few months before the new ‘Late Show’ there is still going to be 6 months to fill. And I can’t believe they will air 6 months of Ferguson reruns, they will literally handing viewers to NBC who they might not get back.

It wouldn't be surprised if CBS decides on an earlier date for Letterman's final date just like NBC did with Leno, he might be contracted until August but I think if they want Colbert to make an impact, I think they'll have him on air by the Spring but I imagine the final decision will be Letterman's

I think January or February for The new Late Late Show since he'll benefit from increased ratings due to the final Letterman shows and the first Colbert shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do CBS not have any connection to any UK channels anymore? What about the CBS channels on Sky, they still own a percentage of them don’t they? And does the ‘new’ Viacom have any connection to CBS, they’re in the process of buying Channel 5 and its digital spin offs?
    Either way, it could go anywhere if a broadcaster is interested, ITV2, Sky One, E4, Comedy Central etc.

I agree about NBC Universal, if there isn’t a UK broadcaster interested in The Tonight Show I would have thought E! would have been a better fit to dump it on rather than CNBC. Having said that CNBC do seem to be quite loyal to the programme so I’m not complaining.

As for Netflix (in the UK) I suspect they think the cost can’t be justified. Judging by how many late night talk shows have been dropped by UK broadcasters over the years following low ratings I can only conclude that they aren’t cheap to get the rights to (plus there’s the added effort of receiving, reviewing, and editing a daily programme).

I think the biggest issue with a UK broadcaster being interested in the Late Late Show with James Corden is the fact that the guests will be unknown to UK audiences most of the time (due to its 12:30am slot) despite the host being a household name. Like I said, it’s not going to have the guest list of The Tonight Show.

The CBS channels in the UK are owned by AMC Networks and CBS don't have any control, they just licence their name to the channels, Viacom and CBS are only connected by 1 shared owner, so there's no priveliges that come with that.

Netflix are developing a new late night show with Chelsea Handlee so I would have thought they would have wanted to have more than one show on there, the Late Late Show would be good at testing their efficiency in turning around a show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be surprised if CBS decides on an earlier date for Letterman's final date just like NBC did with Leno, he might be contracted until August but I think if they want Colbert to make an impact, I think they'll have him on air by the Spring but I imagine the final decision will be Letterman's

I think January or February for The new Late Late Show since he'll benefit from increased ratings due to the final Letterman shows and the first Colbert shows.

I would have thought that if CBS were planning on having Colbert taking over in the Spring we would have heard about it by now, at least by Letterman actually announcing the date of his final show. I’m expecting him to announce it about 6 months in advance, so unless an announcement is imminent I would doubt a Spring premier for Colbert (remember they will need a few weeks to refit the Ed Sullivan Theatre too). NBC launched Fallon’s Tonight Show in February as they wanted to capitalise on the Winter Olympics ratings boost.
    ocav wrote: »
    Netflix are developing a new late night show with Chelsea Handlee so I would have thought they would have wanted to have more than one show on there, the Late Late Show would be good at testing their efficiency in turning around a show.

I was under the impression we were talking about Netflix UK, not Netflix US, and the question was why Netflix UK haven’t shown an interest in picking up one of the late night talk shows. To that I would say the cost of the rights and the effort of receiving a daily show is probably judged as not worthwhile when compared to the number of viewers it would get. Netflix US would never be interested in any of the existing late night talk shows as they are already available via traditional broadcasters as well as via the broadcasters online ‘catch up’ services for free.

Netflix’s new, original, Chelsea Handler talk show will be very interesting to see if it works as it’ll be the first of its kind. As will be Craig Fergusons rumoured new evening talk show (in a 7pm slot) as its also fairly new and untested waters (although Craig Kilbourne attempted and failed at an early evening talk show a few years ago).
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that if CBS were planning on having Colbert taking over in the Spring we would have heard about it by now, at least by Letterman actually announcing the date of his final show. I’m expecting him to announce it about 6 months in advance, so unless an announcement is imminent I would doubt a Spring premier for Colbert (remember they will need a few weeks to refit the Ed Sullivan Theatre too). NBC launched Fallon’s Tonight Show in February as they wanted to capitalise on the Winter Olympics ratings boost.

Its still only September so I think if the final Letterman show is March or April, it'll be announce fairly soon. I think if they leave it until September 2015, they may lose momentum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its still only September so I think if the final Letterman show is March or April, it'll be announce fairly soon. I think if they leave it until September 2015, they may lose momentum.

I agree September 2015 is a long way off, but if Letterman hosts his final Late Show in March or April then Colbert wouldn’t be able to launch the new Late Show until around May or June, and I’d say that’s very unlikely as that’s the start of the summer season when viewing figures are notoriously lower. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
    As for Corden and the new Late Late Show, I think that will premier in January as I can’t see what else CBS will do with in the 12:30am slot after Ferguson leaves in December.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I totally agree that 'most' of the guests are unknown. In the past week, TLLS has had Ray Liotta, David Arquette, Seth Green and Katey Sagal - all very well known names here. A few others (Julie Chen, Carrie Ann Inaba) are well known as TV presenters in the US, but I also know their names and faces, due to their shows being broadcast or at least seen here somehow. A couple of others, like Michael Irvin, Carrot Top) are entirely unknown to me, due to their fame (sport, comedy) not spreading beyond the US.

I suspect the issue we would have in the UK of not knowing who the hell Michael Irvin was, would be completely reflected in James Corden - do we think he'd have a clue either?! I'd anticipate those kind of guests doing a bit of a 'Me 101' for James, which would benefit us as well, and wouldn't necessarily be detrimental to watching the show. The issue is mostly that nightly late night talk shows just don't travel well over here - they certainly wouldn't get a mainstream channel or primetime slot, and we simply don't have late night audiences in the way the US does. The one thing I wonder is if Corden's existing relationship with Sky would lead to his show being picked up by them. But it's a very large number of shows, and a rolling commitment to re-editing for UK audiences with a quick turnaround. The topical nature of the opening pieces means you can't be showing them with any significant time gap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    I'm not sure I totally agree that 'most' of the guests are unknown. In the past week, TLLS has had Ray Liotta, David Arquette, Seth Green and Katey Sagal - all very well known names here. A few others (Julie Chen, Carrie Ann Inaba) are well known as TV presenters in the US, but I also know their names and faces, due to their shows being broadcast or at least seen here somehow. A couple of others, like Michael Irvin, Carrot Top) are entirely unknown to me, due to their fame (sport, comedy) not spreading beyond the US.

I suspect the issue we would have in the UK of not knowing who the hell Michael Irvin was, would be completely reflected in James Corden - do we think he'd have a clue either?! I'd anticipate those kind of guests doing a bit of a 'Me 101' for James, which would benefit us as well, and wouldn't necessarily be detrimental to watching the show. The issue is mostly that nightly late night talk shows just don't travel well over here - they certainly wouldn't get a mainstream channel or primetime slot, and we simply don't have late night audiences in the way the US does. The one thing I wonder is if Corden's existing relationship with Sky would lead to his show being picked up by them. But it's a very large number of shows, and a rolling commitment to re-editing for UK audiences with a quick turnaround. The topical nature of the opening pieces means you can't be showing them with any significant time gap.

I think The Late Late Show is getting, and will get, a slightly higher profile guest list over the next few months as Craig Ferguson bows out. I’m fairly clued up on US television and I admit that sometimes there’s a week of Late Late Show guests where even I don’t know who they are. Although sometimes I suspect a lot of US viewers don’t either (such as some authors or minor politician) so the average British viewer stand no chance!

It’s a good point about Corden though, he’ll need a lot of briefing on who his guests are initially, which may damage his interviewing skills.

You’re right that these type of shows will never have more than a niche following in the UK. And given the cost for the broadcast rights and the effort to get it on the air over here within 24 hours means that only reasonably sized channels (Sky One, E4, ITV2 etc) would even consider it. And when they do they realise they are only getting a small niche audience that doesn’t match their channel expectations so they drop it. Its a vicious circle.

I’ll still predict that The Late Late Show with James Corden will be broadcast somewhere in the UK. Whether it continues past the initial 12 month contract (and maybe the actual show itself won’t) is another matter.
    But what with the internet these days I think a lot of the British public have watched some of The Tonight show with Jimmy Fallon (be it a celebrity interview, a comedy bit, song paradory, whatever) without having ever actually watched The Tonight show with Jimmy Fallon on CNBC (or even know it was on), so maybe that’s how the UK will follow Corden’s attempt to break America – in short video clips posted on the likes of Facebook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read today that James Corden will continue to host ALOTO. At least for the next three years anyway, as he's contracted to host the next three series. I guess he'll fly back and film it when there is a break in his schedule.
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Late Late Show frequently tapes shows in advance. I think this week some of them have been taped in advance as Craig made reference to it with one of his guests last week. He mentioned that he had pre-taped a show with the co-star of the guest for the movie they were promoting for transmission this week. They often pre-tape shows to accommodate Craig's stand-up schedule at comedy clubs around the US.

If you look at the tickets page on the Late Late Show web-site you can see when they tape multiple shows on the same day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I read today that James Corden will continue to host ALOTO. At least for the next three years anyway, as he's contracted to host the next three series. I guess he'll fly back and film it when there is a break in his schedule.

You don't think CBS are paying him enough to buy his way out of that contract?
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talented as an actor

Awful as a presenter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't think CBS are paying him enough to buy his way out of that contract?

You do realise he actually enjoys doing the show? He has described it as the most fun he has had on any project that he's ever done. So I'm sure if it's possible for him to continue with it, he definitely will.

Jamie Redknapp did say they would stop doing the show if one of the regulars quit, but I'm not sure Sky would agree to that lol.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    No reason Corden can't film in his breaks. Frost was doing flights back and forth in the 60s.

Len Goodman at his age does it. He said he flies to the US on a Sunday, does the US shows, flies back on a Thursday, has Friday off, does the UK on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    No reason Corden can't film in his breaks. Frost was doing flights back and forth in the 60s.

Len Goodman at his age does it. He said he flies to the US on a Sunday, does the US shows, flies back on a Thursday, has Friday off, does the UK on a Saturday.

Len Goodman doesn't do a nightly show though, Corden will want to be filmed daily to keep his opening monologue fresh and up to date.

Corden also has a young child with another on the way, where as Goodmans has long since flown the nest.
    You do realise he actually enjoys doing the show? He has described it as the most fun he has had on any project that he's ever done. So I'm sure if it's possible for him to continue with it, he definitely will.

Jamie Redknapp did say they would stop doing the show if one of the regulars quit, but I'm not sure Sky would agree to that lol.

I'm sure he enjoys it, I think Jason Bradbury also 'enjoyed' doing Don't Scare the Hare, they have to say that cause you wouldn't watch it if he said he dreaded going to work and couldn't wait for the series to be over.

Take anything a media personality says with a pinch of salt.

Also I doubt Corden is stupid enough to sign a 3 year contract, contracts like this only normally exist for film franchises, not format panel shows. It's not even likely that Sky have commissioned a further 3 series yet.