Options

Diamond Wedding Anniversary

SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No, not mine .. we only just celebrated 40 years (Ruby) and that sometimes feels like a long time!!

In our usual coffee house this morning - more a social club than a coffee shop - one of the regular couples was showing us all their congratulations card from The Queen for achieving 60 years of marriage.

None of us had ever seen or held anything of this nature, so it aroused a good deal of interest. Taking the form of a card, slightly larger than A5 in size, it had a really nice picture of Her Majesty on the cover and inside, as a separate gatefold insert, held in place by a piece of gold braided string, was a printed message of congratulation, with the happy couple's name at the foot of the page. The message offered many congratulations (can't remember the exact wording) and underneath was her 'signature' - Elizabeth R. Since there was no sign of an impression on the reverse of the page, we concluded that this was almost certainly a printed signature.

Apparently someone has to notify the palace of the anniversary, it's not automatic as it is in the case of attaining a hundred years of age. Notwithstanding, how nice is that to receive a message from The Queen?

Has anybody here ever been a recipient of Royal Congratulations?

Comments

• Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We applied for a birthday card when my nan was one hundred, she was really chuffed with it. It never occurred to me that you had to fill in an application form until then.

I didn't realise you could get the same for sixty years married. My mum and dad are only a few years off and my mam is a big royalist, so thanks for the info.
  • Options
    marfjammarfjam Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, my grandparents built up quite a collection of the Queen's congratulations cards :)

They went through Diamond (60th), Sapphire (65th) and Platinum (70th) anniversaries, and my granddad died just a few weeks short of their Oak (80th) anniversary. Shame the UK doesn't celebrate the 75th as well, as that would have been another card for the collection. I believe only two couples have ever made it to the Oak anniversary.

They married as teenagers and both lived to just shy of 100. Neither ever suffered hearing, vision or mobility imparement, and right to the end both were going on long country walks nearly every day. My granddad smoked his whole life, and they both drank well over the recommended limits -- it just goes to show. It was said that my grandma consumed so much gin that they didn't dare cremate her!
  • Options
    ZebedoinkZebedoink Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    My parents' card is ordered and will arrive, all being well, in a couple of weeks. In Scotland it's simpler and you just have to give the date and town of wedding and the National Records Office checks and confirms by email.