Three predicted to buy O2 in 2014

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Personally I think O2 is far to big to be merged with Three the competition commission wouldn't allow it, the only way I think Hutchison would be able to get a hold of O2 is if they disposed of Three.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    Personally I think O2 is far to big to be merged with Three the competition commission wouldn't allow it, the only way I think Hutchison would be able to get a hold of O2 is if they disposed of Three.

which I highly doubt they would

They've made a decent name for themselves
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I hope not as it reduces competition.
    And looking at those double+ USA prices, rumours of A T & T buying into the UK could be the worst nightmare

But doesn't anything go with Ofcom, they let EE become a giant with Orange+t-mobile.

That was an exception as those two entities seperately did not hold market dominance. Combined yes they became the biggest. For instance a merger between O2 and any other provider at the time of the EE proposition wouldn't have been allowed as O2 was the largest mobile network in terms of market share.

This time round it is unlikely to happen as O2 is still 2nd with a considerable amount of market share.
    Kierankay wrote: »

I think general consensus would agree with you. You do indeed make a brilliant point about O2 being too big. However it is highly unlikely hutchison would now dispose of its british operation given its recent ability to now start turning a profit.
    which I highly doubt they would

They've made a decent name for themselves

BINGO! I don't think anyone can doubt Three as a network (ignore offshore customer services), is probably the most robust and best network for data. People can say EE is fastest etc.....but Three has built its network from the ground up with data in mind. Also they have better phone completion rates that most of the other providers.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    ...This time round it is unlikely to happen as O2 is still 2nd with a considerable amount of market share.
    I think general consensus would agree with you. You do indeed make a brilliant point about O2 being too big........

I'm hardly aware of the size of O2, apart from EE sort of crassly bragging about how big EE is!
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Three would become leaders in three countries.

Spain
    UK
    Germany (If merger goes through)

And have a good foothold in quite a few other European countries.

How would they be leaders in Spain and Germany by buying O2 UK?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    How would they be leaders in Spain and Germany by buying O2 UK?

At time i thought they were discussing telefonica as a whole.