Options

Defend the Daily Mail...

Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm really interested if anyone here can defend the journalism of the Daily Mail without using the word 'Guardian'.

It's a bit like trying to argue that Terminator 2 is better than The Terminator without using the word "effects".

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i cannot defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The website is very good.

Hitler built good roads...
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a successful formula that almost always works despite being very well known.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without mentioning the other paper?
    Okay, both papers can sometimes feature decent articles from time to time.
    Quite often they're both guilty of terrible news articles, but not always.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail is good at revealing abuses of power and corruption.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    himerus wrote: »
    The Mail is good at revealing abuses of power and corruption.
    Except when it happens to be the Tories.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, why not mention the Guardian, the comments online seem obsessive about the people who read the paper.?

The Daily Mail, seems to focus more on show business type news and people posing for
    rather sad looking pictures because their hamster did not live to three score and ten.
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail is better than a lump of shit.

Oh, wait...... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sideboob
  • Options
    Gordon gGordon g Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're good at getting people who supposedly dislike the paper, reading it.
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of their natural world photography and articles are good.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For such an unpopular publication, it's truly astounding how many people read it !
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Print inflammatory nonsense that people will agree with and disagree with strongly in equal measure to maximise hits on ad-infested website. Disregard concepts such as "research", "fact checking" and "not giving that c*nt richard littlejohn a job".

2) Hire people to go around forums and facebook posting links to said website.

3) ??

4) Profit.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to know how a lot of Brits think take a look.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    For such an unpopular publication, it's truly astounding how many people read it !

i like to embrace my rage in the morning so that i have the day free to get on with things.

plus you can verbally abuse a few strangers in passing.
  • Options
    flashfictionflashfiction Posts: 10,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordon g wrote: »
    They're good at getting people who supposedly dislike the paper, reading it.

^ This.
    alan29 wrote: »
    If you want to know how a lot of Brits think take a look.

^ Equally, some people just don't though, do they?

Similarly, plenty of posters will also say that they refuse, on principle, to open the Sun and then, strangely, be happy to give links to The Times.
    Ditto they're probably not that interested that Fox wants to buy Sky and if that's successful they'll continue to pay for Sky and abhor the Sun.

And yet, it's amusing that the contents/topics of DS threads is very similar to the content of something like the DM.

So I reckon the "I would never open the DM" comments repeats are either BS, virtue-signalling or laziness.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really interested if anyone here can defend the journalism of the Daily Mail without using the word 'Guardian'.

It's a bit like trying to argue that Terminator 2 is better than The Terminator without using the word "effects".

The DM prints its front page headlines in nice big letters so that you can spot it from 50 feet away, which makes it easy to keep that distance. Although, in fairness, the same can be said for the Daily Express. When you see two headlines on the opposite side of the shop, one reading "Arise Sir Foreign Aid" and the other "Britain Braces For Icy Blast", you don't have to look any closer to know which is which.

It's brilliant! :D
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

It is because of the good website.

It is much easier to find articles on the DM website than the majority of its competitors
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The website has the best pictures of the Royal Family. For real. It's basically a comic book.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the Mail, it's views generally chime with my own. However, their obsessions with 'sideboob' (WTF?) and 'toned legs' etc is getting out of control. They've also started featuring far too many 'spot the wally' type puzzles and optical illusions. These things remind me of the comics of my youth.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DM's advice column is very useful if you need to know how to stop white cat hairs from showing on your black shirt.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    They usually have really great pictures featured in their articles.
  • Options
    Rekekah_CarterRekekah_Carter Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The DM appears to be the paper that people love to hate, particularly on here. It seems to make them feel somewhat superior. :(
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail caters to so many audiences at once. How many other publications run campaigns against the "sexualisation of children" for the terminally outraged while writing articles about 8 year old "leggy beauties" strutting their stuff and the sexy curves of 14 year olds?

The DM just want to satisfy everyone.