Northampton's Absolute Radio 1233MW frequency issue

CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
Forum Member
✭✭
For the past week the 1233 MW output of Absolute Radio has had an annoying distorted sound on it together with a loud buzzing noise.

I emailed Arqiva about it and they said they were going to send an engineer out to look at the problem.

I emailed Arqiva to chase up the email, I sent because the fault is still there and I've had this reply:

Craig

Our engineers have visited this site, and found no fault in the broadcast system with clear reception to a distance of at least 40 miles as they drove to site.

I am sorry we can offer no advice as to why your reception may be less than ideal, but are satisfied the broadcast site is operating efficiently.

Yours sincerely

Angela

Comments

• vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,357
    Forum Member
    Have you tried it on another radio?
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest trying another radio, and moving to a different position in the house too?

I am probably too far, 40+ miles away to be able to hear that frequency clearly.

Interesting though, none the less.
  • CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    Have you tried it on another radio?

Yes I have tried it on a personal walkman indoors and outdoors, and on a portable small kitchen radio and the problem is there.

I only live 0.88 miles from the transmitter so it isn't that I live far away to gain interference from nearby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have tried it on a personal walkman indoors and outdoors, and on a portable small kitchen radio and the problem is there.

I only live 0.88 miles from the transmitter so it isn't that I live far away to gain interference from nearby.

Being so close to the transmitter, I would have thought it would be 'blowing the windows out' with signal, so the distortion that you mention must be a problem with the said transmitter, I would have thought.

There are plenty of users in this forum who are way more qualified than me to comment about the tech stuff, maybe someone will contribute with other ideas later on?

Puzzling stuff. :confused:
  • Garry_RoseGarry_Rose Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    To me 1233 from Northampton has always had too much bass and sounds terrible and I live about 35 miles away
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garry_Rose wrote: »
    To me 1233 from Northampton has always had too much bass and sounds terrible and I live about 35 miles away

It has been bassy since a fault earlier in the year which as it is now, never got fixed
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the past week the 1233 MW output of Absolute Radio has had an annoying distorted sound on it together with a loud buzzing noise.

I emailed Arqiva about it and they said they were going to send an engineer out to look at the problem.

I emailed Arqiva to chase up the email, I sent because the fault is still there and I've had this reply:

Craig

Our engineers have visited this site, and found no fault in the broadcast system with clear reception to a distance of at least 40 miles as they drove to site.

I am sorry we can offer no advice as to why your reception may be less than ideal, but are satisfied the broadcast site is operating efficiently.

Arqiva are not a public facing organisation, unlike the previous pre privatisation IBA.

They are a service provider for broadcasters. Any compliant about the quality of transmission should be directed at the broadcaster (in this case Absolute Radio). They
    will pursue the matter with Arqiva, it's those two parties that have a contractual agreement. Perhaps the woman from Arqiva was just being helpful, perhaps not, the very fact you had to chase up an answer does rather indicate they might have been politely palming you off. To get this solved, you need to engage with one of Absolute's engineers, and let them engage with Arqiva.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Arqiva are not a public facing organisation, unlike the previous pre privatisation IBA.
    Given that Arqiva still can't be bothered to sort out the poor modulation on the Droitwich 500kW R4 transmitter, it's very unlikely that they'll lose any sleep over a 500W transmitter in Northampton !
    Forum Member
    Is the 1215 signal any good in Northampton?
  • bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try a car radio driving in your area.
    Or take a radio with you and walk around your neighbourhood.

If the problem is in your house there you have got some sort of interference within your house/very close by.

Things like tv pre-amps can cause problems so has your neighbour had any tv antenna work recently? Maybe you have bought a new cordless home(landline)phone? There could be several things causing it.The trouble is finding it but your first action would be to see if you experience the problem away from your house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to live 12 Miles from Northampton and 1215 was very mushy with constant fading in and out.
    Forum Member
    It's terrible where I live in Rutland all the Absolute frequencies are
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unlikely, otherwise there wouldn't be any need for the 1233 filler there ?
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. It's a mixture of signals from Droitwich and Brookmans Park.
    Forum Member
    It's a shocking frequency
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shocking frequency

There's nothing wrong with the frequency, it's just that since September 1967 it's
    been used as a national SFN, with sites that are too close together, and therefore lots of overlap 'mush zones'.

Originally the Beeb had planned to use 1151 kHz (1152 in new money) in addition to 1214,
    so half the sites would have carried Radio 1 on 1151, but in the 1972 Sound Broadcasting Act the BBC lost that frequency to the IBA for ILR use. The rest is history
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there must have been engineers from Absolute and or Arqiva reading the posts on here, because the audio quality has improved alot today.

The quality seems to have gone back to how it used to be months ago.