BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I think they're doing alright actually, at least they don't shout their guests down & talk about themselves all the time !

But they talk over each other, and keep coming in with a question at the same time - it's a mess.
    If they must have two presenters they should allocate an item to one individual to present, and the other keeps out of it until it's their turn.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're back to Victoria's agenda :( I presume it's the editor's doing !
    I would like to know who is making the decisions? Richard Bacon was decent and never boring.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    But they talk over each other, and keep coming in with a question at the same time - it's a mess.
    If they must have two presenters they should allocate an item to one individual to present, and the other keeps out of it until it's their turn.

Absolutely right, it's a question of simple organisation. They may not shout their guests down and talk about themselves all the time, but they do interrupt guests as well as each other in their race to get "their" question in, they don't listen to the answers, and they don't seem to have the confidence to follow the direction that an interview goes, which is one of the important skills for that role.

They have a good head start through not being Bacon, but they cannot trade on that for ever.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    For quarter 3 2014 Rajars 5 live has dropped below a 6 million weekly reach for the first time since 2008, in the final quarter of Derbyshire misery, Fogarty and Bacon it lost over half a million listeners. The schedule was clearly in need of a refresh and I personally think it has improved with the new schedule, Dan Walker needs to calm down a bit though.

Weekly reach (,000):

Q3 14 5809
    Q3 13 6127
    Q3 12 6098
    Q3 11 6237
    Q3 10 6295
    Q3 09 6390
    Q3 08 5830
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    It's become such a silly and cliched format having a male and female doing one show. Always better and more focused to just use one presenter. Having a presenter say one sentence followed by the other to say the next sentence sounds just so contrived as well as annoying.

I notice Dan Walker tends to be rather loud and shouty, but then he is a football person so no surprise there. I think I'd rather have Bacon return. So far the new show is not an improvement.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Radio 5 just seemed to be obsessed with the NHS and every medical procedure going. It's just a daily onslaught and pointless.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio double acts rarely seem to work. There have been a few over the years where there has been great chemistry but it is rare. The trouble is it sounds like the 2 presenters are talking to each other rather than to the listeners.
  • city fancity fan Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Dan Walker was acceptable on sports shows but never one of my favourites. I'm not sure he is suitable for this type of programme.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For quarter 3 2014 Rajars 5 live has dropped below a 6 million weekly reach for the first time since 2008, in the final quarter of Derbyshire misery, Fogarty and Bacon it lost over half a million listeners. The schedule was clearly in need of a refresh and I personally think it has improved with the new schedule, Dan Walker needs to calm down a bit though.

Weekly reach (,000):

Q3 14 5809
    Q3 13 6127
    Q3 12 6098
    Q3 11 6237
    Q3 10 6295
    Q3 09 6390
    Q3 08 5830

Thanks, that's very interesting.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that both Nolan and Pienaar are in the studio tonight for Question Time Extra Time. First time that both of them have been there for a while and normally on a Thursday the web cam is showing an empty studio.
    Does that mean Nolan will be doing his BBC Radio Ulster show from Manchester tomorrow?
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way, who is this girl who is currently doing Up All Night? I wouldn't say she's awful, but she's certainly very, very short of confidence in her voice to do a 4 hour show.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    By the way, who is this girl who is currently doing Up All Night? I wouldn't say she's awful, but she's certainly very, very short of confidence in her voice to do a 4 hour show.

According to the schedule her name is Sima Kotecha. I presume you must have heard her in the preamble before the program started judging by the time of your post. I listened to most of her program and she was good. She asked a question of interviewees and then listened for the answer, rather than jumping across them half way through the answer, as per Sam Walker, Sarah Brett and others. She was certainly a welcome change from the dreadful Dotun who has been inflicted on us on Monday and Tuesday this week. She is much better than most of the women on 5 live, who I find intensely irritating and she speaks in a normal voice. (Exceptions to irritating women; Eleanor Oldroyd, Caroline Barker, Clare McDonnell and possibly one other whose name escapes me).
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I listened to her with Dr Karl and was a little shocked that she was so shocked that a trained scientist was so sceptical of "hauntings". :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the schedule her name is Sima Kotecha. I presume you must have heard her in the preamble before the program started judging by the time of your post. I listened to most of her program and she was good. She asked a question of interviewees and then listened for the answer, rather than jumping across them half way through the answer, as per Sam Walker, Sarah Brett and others. She was certainly a welcome change from the dreadful Dotun who has been inflicted on us on Monday and Tuesday this week. She is much better than most of the women on 5 live, who I find intensely irritating and she speaks in a normal voice. (Exceptions to irritating women; Eleanor Oldroyd, Caroline Barker, Clare McDonnell and possibly one other whose name escapes me).

I like her as well, a welcome change from Rod & Dotun !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that item on Peter Allen's show about historic buildings at risk was very interesting, you'd have never got that on VD's misery fest !
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I listened to her with Dr Karl and was a little shocked that she was so shocked that a trained scientist was so sceptical of "hauntings". :o
    I suppose a medical doctor counts as a scientist. I always thought Dr. Karl held a Fh D in physics or related type of subject, but not so as he revealed last night.
  • AxolotlAxolotl Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I thought a bit lightweight compared to the mighty Rhod - maybe nerves. Anything is better than the deeply irritating Adebayo....
  • statman_61statman_61 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Sima's more regularly heard on R4 and the News Channel. She's more used to reporting than presenting, which may explain the nerves. This is her Linkedin profile http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/sima-kotecha/70/62b/5ba
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From what I heard she did ok and most stand in's are always a welcome change and do a good job.

I just cannot listen anymore to Dotun, he was slowly driving me mad.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I heard she did ok and most stand in's are always a welcome change and do a good job.

I just cannot listen anymore to Dotun, he was slowly driving me mad.
    I just can't listen to him anymore. He always sounds half asleep and sometimes can barely string a sentence together.

Somone posted a little while back (perhaps in this thread or the Dotun one) that he was supposed to be leaving 5 Live but it's looking increasingly unlikely that he's going anywhere. He basically seems to have the UAN job for as long as he wants it. 5 Live aren't going to move him to another slot. However it wouldn't surprise me if UAN was axed next year as a cost cutting exercise - it already features numerous stories and reports repeated from the daytime schedules - and the programme (whoever presents it) is a shadow of its former self with a number of features (including Philip Eden's excellent weather overview slot) dropped. If the programme is axed then Dotun (and by extension Rhod) will probably be made redundant.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll concur with all the previous comments about Dotun Adebayo. Enough is enough I'm afraid and I had listened regularly for far too many years than I should but absolutely will avoid the radio overnights when he is on nowadays and turn to a podcast instead. Even if he is discussing music on the dreadfully laboured Virtual Jukebox I have no time for it anymore with what has become nothing more than regurgitated waffle of no meaningful value whatsoever.

Has he been permanently removed from one of his nights, namely the Thursday night (Friday early hours) Up All Night, as I've noticed they have been trying out a collection of different names recently instead. This is a long overdue development. I think I'm being charitable if I say that Dotun should be on no more than 2 nights a week maximum. He just sounds like he has been coasting along with a rather cushy number for a very long time now. Even Andy Crane has been vastly superior to him and knowledgeable when standing in, and he's a guy I couldn't stand as a broom cupboard children's presenter but seems surprisingly good on grown up radio.

Robbie mentions Phillip Eden, and I was really annoyed they dropped his excellent weather analysis slot a few months ago with absolutely no explanation or reason why. It sounded like Phillip Eden was not exactly thrilled from what I could deduce. So why drop him? Cost? Surely speaking to him about weather for 10-15 minutes once a week doesn't incur any significant cost in the grand scheme of things.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'll concur with all the previous comments about Dotun Adebayo. Enough is enough I'm afraid and I had listened regularly for far too many years than I should but absolutely will avoid the radio overnights when he is on nowadays and turn to a podcast instead. Even if he is discussing music on the dreadfully laboured Virtual Jukebox I have no time for it anymore with what has become nothing more than regurgitated waffle of no meaningful value whatsoever.

Has he been permanently removed from one of his nights, namely the Thursday night (Friday early hours) Up All Night, as I've noticed they have been trying out a collection of different names recently instead. This is a long overdue development. I think I'm being charitable if I say that Dotun should be on no more than 2 nights a week maximum. He just sounds like he has been coasting along with a rather cushy number for a very long time now. Even Andy Crane has been vastly superior to him and knowledgeable when standing in, and he's a guy I couldn't stand as a broom cupboard children's presenter but seems surprisingly good on grown up radio.

Robbie mentions Phillip Eden, and I was really annoyed they dropped his excellent weather analysis slot a few months ago with absolutely no explanation or reason why. It sounded like Phillip Eden was not exactly thrilled from what I could deduce. So why drop him? Cost? Surely speaking to him about weather for 10-15 minutes once a week doesn't incur any significant cost in the grand scheme of things.
    If Dotun does remain on UAN then surely someone has to step in and tell him to end the Virtual Jukebox feature. It's been done to death.

I'm guessing that the Philip Eden slot was dropped on cost grounds. It ended in the same week as the slot presented by Joanne Griffiths on the Monday morning edition of UAN which featured recordings from the Pacifica radio archives. It could only be on cost cutting grounds even if the savings weren't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Like I posted above, it wouldn't surprise me if UAN was dropped altogether next year. Even Rhod is broadcasting a number of repeats of daytime interviews and is doing fewer interviews himself - it wouldn't take much to just turn the programme into a repeats programme. Even Radio 2 are broadcasting repeats between 3am and 5am most mornings to save money so it wouldn't surprise me if 5 Live followed suit.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    the Virtual Jukebox feature
    I have never understood that. Random people suggesting random records for random reasons and we never get to hear any of them played? :confused:
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dotun had a 30 second link to do at midnight which involved him explaining what time the clocks went back. Stumbled over the words, mangled the explanations and left none of us any the wiser.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dotun had a 30 second link to do at midnight which involved him explaining what time the clocks went back. Stumbled over the words, mangled the explanations and left none of us any the wiser.

For Dotun, and anyone else who needs clarity, it's pretty straightforward;

At 2am this morning clocks go BACK ONE HOUR so that 2am BST becomes 1am GMT.

An extra hour of Dotun, please no! Off to a podcast I go.
This discussion has been closed.