Options

no weigh recipes....

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
i don`t have scales, tablespoons or measuring cups/jug

today i want to make pasta. how far up a standard mug does say 4oz of flour come?

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH, I hardly measure ingredients but then again I have been cooking for 20+ years so I know from experience what sort of textures and flavours I am looking for.

If you don't know what pasta dough should feel like then have a look on youtube, there are some pretty good guides on there.

Also you can get a measuring jug for 99p which will also do flour, a worthwhile investment. Also check charity shops for scales, jugs, etc, again should not cost most then 50p or a £1. You also put out a wanted add on your local freecycle group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks doll.

i don`t normally measure stuff either but i don`t want to be forever adding eggs and flour till i end up with 4kg of pasta:D

i need to visit poundland but i`m skint till next week.

i havn`t done any proper cooking since about 2003.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks doll.

i don`t normally measure stuff either but i don`t want to be forever adding eggs and flour till i end up with 4kg of pasta:D

i need to visit poundland but i`m skint till next week.

i havn`t done any proper cooking since about 2003.

Here is a no-measure pasta making demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOX4elz8g-s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you, i had just made my pasta [the same way] before i saw your post.

i wanted to make banana cake and then i realised i havn`t got anything to cook it in :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not have normal cups (mugs or tea cups) or tablespoons you eat cereal off? A normal mug just use half of, normal is one tea cup. A dessert spoon (cereal one) use two of. Pint glasses for measuring pints etc. I make a sponge, 2oz of all measuring ingredients, basically 4 tablespoons. That's the thing I go by anyway, and it always works :) I also advise you to go to some charity shops, all my Kenwood kitchen equipment are from chee shops, and they were brand new. Jugs and spoons are about 5-20p etc, and you can pick up cheap cake tins and baking trays. Or just go to asda and buy smart price, think my jugs are cheap things, lasted years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »
    Do you not have normal cups (mugs or tea cups) or tablespoons you eat cereal off? A normal mug just use half of, normal is one tea cup. A dessert spoon (cereal one) use two of. Pint glasses for measuring pints etc. I make a sponge, 2oz of all measuring ingredients, basically 4 tablespoons. That's the thing I go by anyway, and it always works :) I also advise you to go to some charity shops, all my Kenwood kitchen equipment are from chee shops, and they were brand new. Jugs and spoons are about 5-20p etc, and you can pick up cheap cake tins and baking trays. Or just go to asda and buy smart price, think my jugs are cheap things, lasted years!
    thank you, i`m going to measure that out in grades and tape it.:)

i`ve got one dish, plate, spoon, saucepan, etc, you get the picture. i plan to equip myself come pay day but i had my cooker wired in and i havn`t had one for years so i`m getting a bit ahead of myself:rolleyes:.

i got a pasta maker in a charity shop at the weekend [£4, still in box] hence the pasta query, if i`d known how much easier it was than rolling it out by hand i`d have got one years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you, i`m going to measure that out in grades and tape it.:)

i`ve got one dish, plate, spoon, saucepan, etc, you get the picture. i plan to equip myself come pay day but i had my cooker wired in and i havn`t had one for years so i`m getting a bit ahead of myself:rolleyes:.

i got a pasta maker in a charity shop at the weekend [£4, still in box] hence the pasta query, if i`d known how much easier it was than rolling it out by hand i`d have got one years ago.

Ahh good idea! I might do that actually, mark the tub to the quantities or something. I hate the mess that has to be sorted out after making cakes, all the bowls and spoons. Just a quick tip though, usually it's 4oz of butter, 4oz flour and 4oz sugar, then 2 eggs. But I usually make mine in a tin I got free with some Lurpak, so I use half :) and it's usually only me who eats it :o

What did you eat before you started cooking again? If you don't mind me asking? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What did you eat before you started cooking again? If you don't mind me asking? :)

microwave stuff, sandwiches, kettled eggs and hummus pretty much. and cheese.

i`ve been feral for a long time..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    microwave stuff, sandwiches, kettled eggs and hummus pretty much. and cheese.

i`ve been feral for a long time..

So you did cook, as in heating up ready meals ;) at least your trying! It's much healthier to cook your own meals and if you live on your own, make up batches of things, and freeze them. Just get what you want out of the freezer the night before and microwave it when you want it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you did cook, as in heating up ready meals ;) at least your trying! It's much healthier to cook your own meals and if you live on your own, make up batches of things, and freeze them. Just get what you want out of the freezer the night before and microwave it when you want it :)

i`ve always cooked, i enjoy it, it`s just my situation hasn`t been conducive to it for a few years.

i like to cook my food from fresh, when i`m feeding properly, though it is useful to have a few bits in the freezer, you`re right. if i had one:D:D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ve always cooked, i enjoy it, it`s just my situation hasn`t been conducive to it for a few years.

i like to cook my food from fresh, when i`m feeding properly, though it is useful to have a few bits in the freezer, you`re right. if i had one:D:D.

Oh gosh you really are feral!! :D do you have a fridge and a cooker? Or a washing machine? This sounds very EastEnder-esque ;) my sister lives in a nice flat with a small kitchen and the fridge works when it wants, if it dislikes your milk it will decrease in temperature to make it go off, and the freezer compartment likes to lock your veg in with its secure ice every now and then. And the washer likes to take its time, as its a washer dryer and sometimes forgets the washing bit (no idea what it does for the hr and half before drying..) I've stayed there and I'm unsure how she copes. I'm imagining you living somewhere similar!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh gosh you really are feral!! :D do you have a fridge and a cooker? Or a washing machine? This sounds very EastEnder-esque ;) my sister lives in a nice flat with a small kitchen and the fridge works when it wants, if it dislikes your milk it will decrease in temperature to make it go off, and the freezer compartment likes to lock your veg in with its secure ice every now and then. And the washer likes to take its time, as its a washer dryer and sometimes forgets the washing bit (no idea what it does for the hr and half before drying..) I've stayed there and I'm unsure how she copes. I'm imagining you living somewhere similar!

i`ve just acquired a cooker and a fridge, no washing machine. i also have heating, which i didn`t have before and hot water. FROM THE TAP. what kind of trickery?

it`s not an exaggeration to say you would not believe how i`ve been living, it was VERY extreme.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have always had access to the interweb though. Laptop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    You have always had access to the interweb though. Laptop?
    if i hadn`t had that i wouldn`t have survived. literally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i hadn`t had that i wouldn`t have survived. literally.

I'd rather have a cooker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd rather have a cooker.

it wasn`t an either or situation. and a cooker`s not much use to the dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ve just acquired a cooker and a fridge, no washing machine. i also have heating, which i didn`t have before and hot water. FROM THE TAP. what kind of trickery?

it`s not an exaggeration to say you would not believe how i`ve been living, it was VERY extreme.

How did you wash, cold showers? Baby wipes? Sorry but my head cannot cope with these predicaments! And you must've been shopping daily for fresh food then? And you wash your own clothes or a laundrette? All these questions. I'm sorry, you just are an interesting person :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did you wasboilsve h, cold showers? Baby wipes? Sorry but my head cannot cope with these predicaments! And you must've been shopping daily for fresh food then? And you wash your own clothes or a laundrette? All these questions. I'm sorry, you just are an interesting person :)

:cool:

i had four kettles, you can get a decent bath out of five boils in about fifteen - twenty minutes. clothes i wash by hand [washing machine next week!!!!!].

food more or less daily, in the winter i used to keep stuff on a bedroom windowsill with the window open.

heating was a fan heater parked in front of me.

i can`t tell you what a thrill i get opening the fridge, turning the heating up and down or filling the bath from the tap.:o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:

i had four kettles, you can get a decent bath out of five boils in about fifteen - twenty minutes. clothes i wash by hand [washing machine next week!!!!!].

food more or less daily, in the winter i used to keep stuff on a bedroom windowsill with the window open.

heating was a fan heater parked in front of me.

i can`t tell you what a thrill i get opening the fridge, turning the heating up and down or filling the bath from the tap.:o:o:o

:eek: very 1940s! Apart from the laptop ;) it must be a huge relief, and strange getting all these things so fast... Have you won the lottery? :D I remember we had no hot water in the bathroom for a while, what a blag. I'm telling you, 7 months later I still use it like its gonna run out :o I can stay in the shower for about an hour and a half. I'm making up for lost time ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek: very 1940s! Apart from the laptop ;) it must be a huge relief, and strange getting all these things so fast... Have you won the lottery? :D I remember we had no hot water in the bathroom for a while, what a blag. I'm telling you, 7 months later I still use it like its gonna run out :o I can stay in the shower for about an hour and a half. I'm making up for lost time ;)

there`s slightly more to it, i won`t humiliate myself with the details, suffice to say i`ve been very lucky to have escaped sectioning a few times over it.

i feel like i`ve won the lottery, i`ve never moved in somewhere nice before and for the first time ever i`m not shamed by it, now that i`m here i can see just how sick i`ve been.

i did a bedroom tax transfer, it was all a bit nuts, i emailed the housing manager on the monday and was offered this on the wednesday, signed the papers on the friday and started moving in straight away, it was my birthday week too.

the first thing i did was have a shower, and then a bath and every time i go in the kitchen i run the mixer tap :o i`ve always wanted a mixer tap:o:o.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There you go annette kurten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There you go annette kurten.

:)thank you :) pay day`s going to be baketastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there`s slightly more to it, i won`t humiliate myself with the details, suffice to say i`ve been very lucky to have escaped sectioning a few times over it.

i feel like i`ve won the lottery, i`ve never moved in somewhere nice before and for the first time ever i`m not shamed by it, now that i`m here i can see just how sick i`ve been.

i did a bedroom tax transfer, it was all a bit nuts, i emailed the housing manager on the monday and was offered this on the wednesday, signed the papers on the friday and started moving in straight away, it was my birthday week too.

the first thing i did was have a shower, and then a bath and every time i go in the kitchen i run the mixer tap :o i`ve always wanted a mixer tap:o:o.

Bless you :) think you deserve it after living like that for so long... good luck with it all and happy cooking!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bless you :) think you deserve it after living like that for so long... good luck with it all and happy cooking!!!

thank you darling, that`s a lovely thing to say.:)