Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Last month Staines officially became Staines-on-Thames!

Morning all. :)

It certainly is a Stain on the Thames.!:D
  • Options
    Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. Nobody who lives here calls it Elth-am.
    Does 'your friend' refer to the royal borough as 'Green Witch' too?

Dunno, never heard her say it and I've lost touch with her now.

On other matters - James O'Brien forgot to say "It all starts next" when he did his pre-news takeover. LBC is simply not fit for purpose! :o
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inge Jones wrote: »
    I had a friend who lived there and they all called it Elth-am. Maybe it's a matter of preference.

Then how do you know that she called it 'Elth-am'? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    It's L-tam. Simples.

Quite right, HH. What a discerning chap you are.
    But then I believe that you live in the area too.
    Double discerning!! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You asked me how she pronounces Greenwich. Did you read your own question? ;)
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask Boris is pointless now as the baffoon is only interested in London issues. He sounded a right cretin this morning and can't answer simple recycling questions. Your not popular cause you act stupid and can't answer questions with out stuttering.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Ask Boris is pointless now as the baffoon is only interested in London issues. He sounded a right cretin this morning and can't answer simple recycling questions. Your not popular cause you act stupid and can't answer questions with out stuttering.

He's the Mayor of London, answering questions about London on a London Radio station. What would you like him to talk about?
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because she doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because she doesn't exist.

Not really something I can pursue without getting into an Oh Yes She Does Oh No She Doesn't type of situation.

All I remember is that when I was first getting to know her when I asked where she lived she said Eltham with a 'th' sound and I have pronounced it that way since, cos I assumed she'd know the right way. I am happy to try and change now if it was wrong all along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite right, HH. What a discerning chap you are.
    But then I believe that you live in the area too.
    Double discerning!! ;-)

Certainly not in Eltham. More in the salubrious area of Chislehurst/Bromley, without giving my exact location away. Vallen often slags off Bromley and I believe it is the town of his birth and that of H.G.Wells and Charles Chiltern.
  • Options
    BazzieBazzie Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Steve giving the BBC a roasting dropping there overnight shows for pre records, which.will give him anumition for more ratings. That is true.

Do you have any more info? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    A member of my family once lived in Witham in Essex. We always pronounced it as 'Wittam', but I've since heard a newsreader say it as 'With-am', so I now have no idea which it is.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    He's the Mayor of London, answering questions about London on a London Radio station. What would you like him to talk about?

I'm not sure if you are aware that LBC is no longer a 'London' radio station, however a vast proportion of listeners are from the London area. But I do gather the National Audience is growing massively as word spreads. I am expecting in the next 18-24 months that LBC audiences outside of London will beat the London audience so hopefully we'll be hearing less discussions on London and more on the UK as a whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A member of my family once lived in Witham in Essex. We always pronounced it as 'Wittam', but I've since heard a newsreader say it as 'With-am', so I now have no idea which it is.
    Radio announcers are very inconsistent with pronunciations. Even BBC have variability with Ukraine's Donetsk, saying as spelled or with the Russian 'nyetsk'.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How's about Trottiscliffe in Kent then? And Wrotham, of course.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    It is Chiz-wick or Chizzik?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You asked me how she pronounces Greenwich. Did you read your own question? ;)

Quite right. My mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I once worked with someone who lived at Witham. He pronounced it 'Wittam' too.
    Take no notice of newsreaders. Have you heard the ones on LBC talk about Marley Bone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    How's about Trottiscliffe in Kent then? And Wrotham, of course.

I know that Wrotham is pronounced Rootem but I didn't know that Trottisciffe was pronounced any differently to the way it's spelt.
    Talking of Kentish place names. I've also heard of Loose, near Maidstone, where they have a Loose Women's Club. :)
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you are aware that LBC is no longer a 'London' radio station, however a vast proportion of listeners are from the London area. But I do gather the National Audience is growing massively as word spreads. I am expecting in the next 18-24 months that LBC audiences outside of London will beat the London audience so hopefully we'll be hearing less discussions on London and more on the UK as a whole.

It's a London station to which the rest of the country has access via various media outlets: DAB, internet etc. If there's a big story happening outside London, of course it will be covered; that has always been the case, but I doubt if we'll be having phone-ins with the Mayor of Doncaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband's parents lived in Witham in their later years, and they pronounced it Wittam. Oh, and *I* used to live in Chiswick and we said Chizzick. Also I say Grennidge.

I used to think radio presenters were saying Southall (South-all) wrong till I realised they were actually talking about Southwell (Suthle)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know that Wrotham is pronounced Rootem but I didn't know that Trottisciffe was pronounced any differently to the way it's spelt.
    Talking of Kentish place names. I've also heard of Loose, near Maidstone, where they have a Loose Women's Club. :)

People will have that locals call it Trossley!
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Merstham is a tricky one but not a lot of people know it. It is seven miles south of Croydon on Thames or it will be after global warming. Steve sounded perkier this morning which pleased me immensely. Whether anything else will today what with Queenie's speech is unlikely so at 3pm it will probably be the duvet and that nice Jo Good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Merstham is a tricky one but not a lot of people know it. It is seven miles south of Croydon on Thames or it will be after global warming. Steve sounded perkier this morning which pleased me immensely. Whether anything else will today what with Queenie's speech is unlikely so at 3pm it will probably be the duvet and that nice Jo Good.

Murst Em. Nothing difficult there

Next.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Milngavie? That always throws them. It's pronounced by the natives as "Millguy".

I'm away for a long weekend and you lot get the thread closed down! What have you all been doing? ;-)
This discussion has been closed.