Who is more influential Kate Bush or Stevie Nicks.

13»

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Did that many people really judge against them though? Rumours, Tusk and Tango In The Night are excellent albums in my opinion. And fair enough that you didn't want to listen to her solo stuff but she still did more than the nothing you claim

Exactly Bad. Like Nicks or not her influence on others is not to go unnoticed. Whilst i agree Kate's impact in terms of her msic and ethos have a far more reaching influence. Nicks in her own imitable style does too.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Did that many people really judge against them though? Rumours, Tusk and Tango In The Night are excellent albums in my opinion. And fair enough that you didn't want to listen to her solo stuff but she still did more than the nothing you claim

Tusk isn't bad. Rumours is ****ing terrible and Tango in the Night isn't much better.
    In the past 10 years she's done pretty much nothing, which was my point. A solo album, and Fleetwood Mac tour.
    And the song in School of rock
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't dare speak for the UK, but did the OP mean "90s only" , "UK or US", and so on.. But of course Stevie Nicks eclipses Kate Bush at least in the US, as I said, I would not even hazard a guess for the UK, but hands down Stevie for the US. Is Kate even popular in the US? or known at all? I know her from the mid 80s, when I lived in France for a year, and then there was that theme "this womans work" or something to the effect, that was part of a film, but after that, I have no idea what she did. I still listen to that Kate Bush album, and its still played on alternative radio stations, but thats about it.

Stevie Nicks will live in eternity. Her hits from all decades are still played to this day on radio, in waiting rooms, lounges supermarkets lol and her classic duets with Don Henley, Tom Petty, Kenny Loggins (omg that song takes me back) are timeless. We haven't even touched her yers with FM. She's spanned the 70s, 80s, 90s and is still going strong today, she is, a rock legend in the US to be sure.

just sharing, but this piece of Stevie Nicks singing Wild Heart in 1981 backstage during a makeup session is one of my faves..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rOh6dCwao
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »

Stevie Nicks will live in eternity. Her hits from all decades are still played to this day on radio, in waiting rooms, lounges supermarkets l

Like....wow....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    I wouldn't dare speak for the UK, but did the OP mean "90s only" , "UK or US", and so on.. But of course Stevie Nicks eclipses Kate Bush at least in the US, as I said, I would not even hazard a guess for the UK, but hands down Stevie for the US. Is Kate even popular in the US? or known at all? I know her from the mid 80s, when I lived in France for a year, and then there was that theme "this womans work" or something to the effect, that was part of a film, but after that, I have no idea what she did. I still listen to that Kate Bush album, and its still played on alternative radio stations, but thats about it.

Stevie Nicks will live in eternity. Her hits from all decades are still played to this day on radio, in waiting rooms, lounges supermarkets lol and her classic duets with Don Henley, Tom Petty, Kenny Loggins (omg that song takes me back) are timeless. We haven't even touched her yers with FM. She's spanned the 70s, 80s, 90s and is still going strong today, she is, a rock legend in the US to be sure.

just sharing, but this piece of Stevie Nicks singing Wild Heart in 1981 backstage during a makeup session is one of my faves..

In the UK she is regarded as one of our most important artists up there with Bowie and the like. In the US i think she has somewhat of a cult following. and it is a shame she has gone all but unnoticed as her body of work is truly incredible. stronger than nicks i would argue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'm listening to Summoning at the moment. Wonderful band. :)

As for Burzum...well they probably can't get a gig. I doubt any promoter would touch Varg with a ten foot pole.

'Stronghold' is the only Summoning album I know, but I like that one a lot. Been meaning to check out their new one!

I think Burzum is just down to Varg being a misanthropic recluse! And obviously he'd have to hire touring musicians etc.. I reckon promoters would book him purely because he'd bring in a crowd - I'd be tempted to go and see him just out of curiosity!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten to say one of Kates more odd and biggest fans was none other than Tupac that has for some reason always amsed me :p
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant see how tf stevie nicks has influenced rock artists, she came in long after true innovators had started. janis joplin, grace slick, patti smith, and loads of others

Since when does the year somebody debuted on the music scene automatically determine their impact and influence? U2 didn't release their debut album until 1980, are you going to question their influence on rock music simply because they didn't debut until years after bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd? Are you going to question Annie Lennox's influence on music because she never released her first solo album until the early 1990s? Like Stevie, Annie first became famous due to being in a band but eventually forged her own identity as a solo star. If you can deem Grace Slick an innovator (which she is) for being the front woman of Jefferson Airplane then Stevie Nicks can certainly be called an innovator for being a front woman in Fleetwood Mac, a band which became hugely successful (and finally broke the US market) in part to Stevie Nicks and her contributions to the band. Need I remind you that Kate Bush didn't debut on the scene until years after Janis Joplin and Grace Slick did in the 1960s. I'm sure you wouldn't question her influence because of this in the same way you have Stevie's.

Stevie Nicks did one thing many, many other female singers who front/have fronted rock bands have failed to do and that's launch a successful solo career. The success rate for men in bands doing it is pretty low, the success rate for women is even less. Grace Slick and Debbie Harry certainly never managed it. Stevie has spoken several times over the years about the influence "Horses" by Patti Smith had on "Bella Donna" but that doesn't mean that Stevie Nicks hasn't been influential in her own right. "Bella Donna" was a big commercial hit (more so than anything Patti Smith has released) and is now regarded as a classic rock album by a female artist. After opening for Janis Joplin back in the 1960s as part of the band Fritz, Stevie was inspired by Janis' ability to hold an audience in the palm of her hand and completely own the stage. Does this somehow make Stevie less influential? Hardly. Janis Joplin - and god knows I love her - never wrote most of her material like Stevie does. While it was with Fleetwood Mac that Stevie Nicks first tasted major commercial success it wasn't where her music career began (she'd been around since the '60s, released "Buckingham Nicks" in 1973). Some argue that Fleetwood Mac made Stevie Nicks but they're forgetting that the band were seen as washed up by many critics and fans by the time Stevie had joined on new year's eve in 1974. The band hadn't had a charting album in many markets, including the UK, since 1970, plus the bands breakthrough in America didn't occur until the Buckingham Nicks period of the band launched in 1975. Stevie is a big part of the reason why the band became so successful and released music that is now deemed some of the best ever recorded. "Rhiannon" was undoubtedly the first major hit Fleetwood Mac had on the US singles chart, plus it was voted one of the greatest songs of all time by Rolling Stone Magazine, the same magazine who named Stevie the reigning Queen of Rock and Roll. I know things like this are subjective but Stevie must have done something (many things probably) in her career to have certain people and publications consider her worthy enough of that title.

Different artists from different periods inspire different people, I don't think anyone should question a persons impact or influence just because they arrived a few years after someone else did. Stevie Nicks has had a huge impact and influence on many different artists from many different styles of music. Just look at how many classic songs she has written over the years. "Landslide" alone has been covered by many different artists in rock music and beyond.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    embryo wrote: »
    'Stronghold' is the only Summoning album I know, but I like that one a lot. Been meaning to check out their new one!
    Check out Oath Bound too, from 2006 (I think).
    I think Burzum is just down to Varg being a misanthropic recluse! And obviously he'd have to hire touring musicians etc.. I reckon promoters would book him purely because he'd bring in a crowd - I'd be tempted to go and see him just out of curiosity!

He's a bit more than that though, isn't he? Nazi, convicted murderer & arsonist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a bit more than that though, isn't he? Nazi, convicted murderer & arsonist.

Of course, but he's still got a record label releasing his music, and people buying and listening to his music - even with his history and reputation, I'm sure he could find someone to get him a gig if he wanted one. I think it's down to his reclusive, antisocial nature more than anything - even before the murder, he was unwilling to tour as Burzum.
    Forum Member
    Of course, but he's still got a record label releasing his music, and people buying and listening to his music - even with his history and reputation, I'm sure he could find someone to get him a gig if he wanted one. I think it's down to his reclusive, antisocial nature more than anything - even before the murder, he was unwilling to tour as Burzum.

Let's take a little look at his label, shall we? Here's his last one Misanthropy. His current one, Byelobog, doesn't have a wiki page but I found this. See a recuring theme? ;)

Also, as a venue operator, would you really want to attract to your premises, the sort of people who would want to see him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's take a little look at his label, shall we? Here's his last one Misanthropy. His current one, Byelobog, doesn't have a wiki page but I found this. See a recuring theme? ;)

Also, as a venue operator, would you really want to attract to your premises, the sort of people who would want to see him?

Misanthropy was set up by a fan wanting to put Burzum's music out there, so I don't think it's entirely inconceivable that there are fans who would be willing to aid a live performance if necessary. Yeah, Byelobog looks a bit mysterious! Presumably that one is run by Varg himself, but he seems to have the support of Plastic Head at least - you can only order through their site.

If a venue operator were to have a problem with Burzum playing, I don't think the audience would be their main concern. Burzum is musically one of the most acclaimed and influential names in black metal, he'd attract extreme metal fans for that, even if many would be put off by the man behind the music. Varg may be a nutjob but I don't think his music attracts those sorts of people in particular - especially as his actual songs and lyrics do not endorse murder or racism in any way. Plus he separates himself from neo-Nazi scenes and things like that, so I'm not sure if even the racists would be supportive of him as a person. Morally dubious as it may be to pay to see a man like him, I think the majority of people who would want to see Burzum would ultimately be there as fans of the music, not because they like to go out and cheer on racist killers.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the audience attracted by bands like Grand Belial's Key and others linked with the NSBM scene, or someone like Arghoslent, who are not only open about their racist personal beliefs, but also have openly racist songs and lyrics. It's hard to say since Burzum never has and likely never will tour, but I'd guess they have the potential to attract more of an unsavoury audience than Burzum's ramblings about myths and folklore - yet that doesn't stop these bands from touring.
    Forum Member
    Misanthropy was set up by a fan wanting to put Burzum's music out there, so I don't think it's entirely inconceivable that there are fans who would be willing to aid a live performance if necessary. Yeah, Byelobog looks a bit mysterious! Presumably that one is run by Varg himself, but he seems to have the support of Plastic Head at least - you can only order through their site.

If a venue operator were to have a problem with Burzum playing, I don't think the audience would be their main concern. Burzum is musically one of the most acclaimed and influential names in black metal, he'd attract extreme metal fans for that, even if many would be put off by the man behind the music. Varg may be a nutjob but I don't think his music attracts those sorts of people in particular - especially as his actual songs and lyrics do not endorse murder or racism in any way. Plus he separates himself from neo-Nazi scenes and things like that, so I'm not sure if even the racists would be supportive of him as a person. Morally dubious as it may be to pay to see a man like him, I think the majority of people who would want to see Burzum would ultimately be there as fans of the music, not because they like to go out and cheer on racist killers.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the audience attracted by bands like Grand Belial's Key and others linked with the NSBM scene, or someone like Arghoslent, who are not only open about their racist personal beliefs, but also have openly racist songs and lyrics. It's hard to say since Burzum never has and likely never will tour, but I'd guess they have the potential to attract more of an unsavoury audience than Burzum's ramblings about myths and folklore - yet that doesn't stop these bands from touring.
    Yes, you have a point there. Perhaps he's worried about being a target himself. It just needs one nutter. Look at Dimebag.
  • TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    "Stevie Nicks has written some of the best rock songs" - Grace Slick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eua8u3L3tmI

A lot of people forget just how many rock classics Stevie has written in her career. Her style of writing and her voice is completely unique and all her own.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the UK obviously Kate Bush by miles...for Americans it must be Nicks but that said the American Tori Amos owes her entire career to Kate Bush!
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Was reading the FM thread. And they were discussing the impact Nicks had on women in reock and the Singer-songwriter movement during the 90's. But to my mind there is no female musician more influential than Bush. So i thought i'd put it to the forum ans see what everyone else thought.
    Of the two - Kate Bush - but there are about another 25 female artists I'd place between her and Stevie Nicks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Kate Bush is the perhaps the more influential of the two, but maybe that's just because, as a KB fan, I've read tons of quotes over the years from the many other artists who cite her as an influence - European and US artists; maybe I'm just much more aware of Kate's influence. Incidentally, Stevie Nicks chose 'Running Up That Hill' as one of her 'tracks of my years' on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 programme last year and was full of praise for Kate.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than Tori Amos I don't really see who Kate Bush has been a direct influence upon. Some people might think Bjork as well as Tori, but only as as far as the quirky side goes (influence or natural). But the big difference is at least Tori has performed live over many years whereas Kate won't do that, so I've always had a nagging doubt about KB as an artiste.

Stevie Nicks is a competent , but derivative female MOR artiste who got lucky and who was strongly influenced musically by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Nothing wrong with that except Petty came first and did it better imo. You may as well say any female artist that came after Nicks who does soft MOR rock was influenced by her which is a tenuous argument.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Bush.

Stevie Nicks, wasn't she she someone who sang with a boring AOR Fleetwood Mac about six or seven years after their heyday with Peter Green?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the UK obviously Kate Bush by miles...for Americans it must be Nicks but that said the American Tori Amos owes her entire career to Kate Bush!

But you could also say that Kate owes her career to Pink Floyd as David Gilmore was a family friend. Apart from a few questionable photos at the start of her career and that she was originally signed in the UK by a record manager who was a Bush fan back in 1991 Tori has been her own woman since.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original OP has started one of those interesting debates which will do NEITHER artist much justice!

Stevie will obviously have had far more influence on her homeland, whereas the same would be true of Kate for the UK (& a lot of Europe).

That's the actual question answered.

On a personal note, Kate has a far more interesting/challenging/rewarding body of work, than what Stevie has achieved thus far. Nicks is too erratic and the drugs haven't helped. That said, she's still a gr8 artist, just not as gr8 as Kate! Heck, Bjork is far gr8ter than Nicks by a royal mile as well. Tori- meh...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Among the artists who have actually cited Kate Bush as an influence at one time or other: Bjork, Alison Goldfrapp, Elizabeth Fraser, Bat For Lashes (Natasha Kahn), Little Boots, Lily Allen, kd lang, Tricky, Outcast/Big Noi, Damon Albarn, Brett Anderson (Suede), Robert Smith/The Cure, Robyn, Cara Dillon, Chris Martin/Coldplay, Jesca Hoop, Amanda Palmer/The Dresden Dolls, Anthony Hegarty(Anthony & The Johnsons), The Futureheads.... The list is by no means exhaustive - these are just the few I can think of off the top of my head!