Sky router issue

T.K.MaxxT.K.Maxx Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi
I've got a sky black box router. I'm on ADSL running win 7 on both my machines.

Over the last few days, I've noticed the internet speed has been very slow. The router stats says the router speed is 11263. One machine is connected via Ethernet the other wireless. Sometimes the website doesn't load, or if it does it's slow. Any website not just one in particular.

I spoke to sky....they say all fine their side and the router is stable, line stable etc etc.

I've reset the router to factory settings, replaced filter, but it's still the same.

I even ran a virus scan, and both machines are clean. I've run also cc cleaner and cleaned up the files.

Any suggestions please?

TIA

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing to check. Lift the phone and listen carefully for any crackles or noise on the line. There is a BT test number 17070 but not sure if that works if your line rental is with Sky. If it does work there is an option (2 I think) to do a silent line test. This would help you hear if there is any noise on the line.

If there is noise that can affect the ADSL signal.

Also if you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part faceplate remove the lower half to expose the test socket. Plug into that and test the service. If you get no change in performance then chances are you have a line fault. However if it works perfectly on the test socket that indicates it is your internal wiring at fault (if you have any extensions that is).

If it is your internal wiring that is your responsibility to fix. If it is a line fault then that is Sky's job.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a speed test?

I find that these 2 give consistent results:-

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    First thing to check. Lift the phone and listen carefully for any crackles or noise on the line. There is a BT test number 17070 but not sure if that works if your line rental is with Sky. If it does work there is an option (2 I think) to do a silent line test. This would help you hear if there is any noise on the line.
    Sky have carefully replicated the BT Line Test facilities - down to using the same access number in 17070! You can tell it theirs all the same as you get connected to a different "electronic woman" - Zoe AFAIR!
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try this when you want to see what speed you are geting. but only us it if you have a sky hub black or white http://broadbandconnection.sky.com/speed-finder
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had exactly this problem and spent hours on the phone to Sky about it to no intitial use. However I now know what the problem is with my white box. It doesn't work at all well, if at all in automatic mode when there are other (neighbours) boxes competeing for the bandwidth. It defaults to channel 1 as do all the others and never moves away!

You can download the 'network genie' from netgear to watch it. The workaroud is to set the box to use a fixed channel which no one else is using, 6 upwards typically.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    I had exactly this problem and spent hours on the phone to Sky about it to no intitial use. However I now know what the problem is with my white box. It doesn't work at all well, if at all in automatic mode when there are other (neighbours) boxes competeing for the bandwidth. It defaults to channel 1 as do all the others and never moves away!

You can download the 'network genie' from netgear to watch it. The workaroud is to set the box to use a fixed channel which no one else is using, 6 upwards typically.

OP says he is having problems with ethernet as well. Only wifi is affected by channels.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    OP says he is having problems with ethernet as well. Only wifi is affected by channels.

Ah yes, I would have thought that too but if affects all communications. It seems that the box gets in such a tizzy trying to sort out the wireless that it fails to process the data.
  • fiesatafiesata Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I was transferred to Sky from the excellent BE broadband who they bought then closed the company down - never had to call BE in nearly 7 years - since I was transferred I spent ages on the phone with Sky - used to be able to sync at 15-16meg now 12 meg is the best I have

I am no amateur I used to teach PC repair and networking at the local college but they treated me like one

I've given up and am waiting for Virgin Media to install 152 meg broadband next week which will cost £7.50 a month less than the £17.50 I am paying Sky (they charge me £7.50 extra as I don't have their TV or phone - as featured on Watchdog) as part of the big Kahuna bundle

Best of luck with sorting this out if you do