Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok although really a larger, brasher London version of 'The Paradise'!

Did anyone else recognise Gregory Fitoussi (Pierre Clement, the Barrister from the French Series 'Spiral/Engrenages') playing the Window Dresser?

I know it's been mentioned in the press recently, due to the 150th anniversary of the opening of the London Underground but, in real life Mr. Selfridge tried to get the Central London Railway (now the Central Line) to rename Bond Street Station to Selfridge's!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why but I have zoned out this week
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to get into it this week...
  • piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Did people really say "we could always go to yours" in 1909?
  • s.mouses.mouse Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Katherine Kelly is a total scene stealer! Love her in this.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    I don't know why but I have zoned out this week
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to get into it this week...

Glad it's not just me...hasn't kept my attention either tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Totally not convinced by Jeremy Piven, or the terrible script and direction. Does he have to overproject every line? Was catch ya later in general use in the early twentieth century? And who is this Mr Balerio?

A pity, because I am loving the costumes and hairstyles and hats.
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piimapoika wrote: »
    Did people really say "we could always go to yours" in 1909?

Or Frank Edwards saying that he and Lord Northcliffe 'go way back':rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ukool wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, didnt think i would after reading some comments on here. I also love The Paradise, and found my self comparing certain things, and characters but i think once it gets going ill forget to do that.

I really like the dancer / show girl, what else has she been in?

I recognised her from Desperate Romantics and Demons, but I think she has been in lots of other stuff as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Kelly is clearly miscast in this, her Eliza Dolittle accent is really really starting to grate on me, I like the actress but she just doesn't suit posh in my opinion
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lost interest already in this, sure sign when I start skipping through the boring bits in a recording. I've taken it off "series link"
    I wouldn't have watched it live anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scamps wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly is clearly miscast in this, her Eliza Dolittle accent is really really starting to grate on me, I like the actress but she just doesn't suit posh in my opinion

She was certainly grating on me tonight as well as several other characters over the top accents
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week Mr Selfridge will be expressing impatience that it's going to be 90 years before he'll be able to open an online store!
  • greygrey Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I didn't watch it at all after the above comments
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So had Jessops last week.

Selfridges most definately still open!

I usually go to see their Christmas window display bit didn't this year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Scamps wrote: »

Isn't she supposed to be a showgirl (or whatever they were called then) who married a lord? So she wouldn't have a naturally posh accent.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lost interest already in this, sure sign when I start skipping through the boring bits in a recording. I've taken it off "series link"
    I wouldn't have watched it live anyway.
    I gave up about half way through tonight's episode and shan't be bothering with it again. The storylines have simply failed to draw me in. I might have persevered if it were only 3-4 weeks but there's another 8 episodes to go and it was already feeling like a chore. I'm very surprised that Andrew Davies didn't make a better job of it.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I gave up about half way through tonight's episode and shan't be bothering with it again. The storylines have simply failed to draw me in. I might have persevered if it were only 3-4 weeks but there's another 8 episodes to go and it was already feeling like a chore. I'm very surprised that Andrew Davies didn't make a better job of it.

I found my mind wandering this week and have lost interest, too. I don't think I'll bother to tune in again.

My mum watched the first five mins of this and gave up on it as not being her thing. I had to agree! :(
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »
    Did anyone else recognise Gregory Fitoussi (Pierre Clement, the Barrister from the French Series 'Spiral/Engrenages') playing the Window Dresser?

Yes I mentioned him in this thread last week.

Well I quite enjoyed that as a bit of light Sunday night entertainment - thought the episode was better than last week's. It actually focused a lot on the other characters and it was nice to get to know them a bit - Selfridge himself wasn't in it too much. Mrs Selfridge obviously feels a tad neglected!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't watch it at all after the above comments

Well some of us are enjoying it. Not everyone likes the same thing so you should judge for yourself if you've got time.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    She was certainly grating on me tonight as well as several other characters over the top accents

Yeah that French bloke who dresses the windows sounded like he was doing one of those Allo Allo accents. Kept dropping back into English many times it was embarrassing. Overall I'm quite enjoying it but this week did seem a bit dragged out and hard work to keep my interest. Lets see how many more weeks this holds my attention as already it feels like it's dropping off a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Yeah that French bloke who dresses the windows sounded like he was doing one of those Allo Allo accents. Kept dropping back into English many times it was embarrassing.

Gregory Fitoussi is actually French though so that's just him speaking English. As said above, he's in Spiral on BBC4 - a French crime drama.
  • holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but compare this to The Paradise which started slowly but had enough about it to draw you back for the next episode.

I don't think Mr Selfridge has managed this.

Pitifully slow tonight. But I will give it another go next week...maybe it's a really slow burner.

I watch it on +1 as Ripper Street is my pick for Sunday night. It's a much,much better series...imo
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gregory Fitoussi is actually French though so that's just him speaking English. As said above, he's in Spiral on BBC4 - a French crime drama.

Oh well I apologize then. It just sounded like a bad French accent bit I stand corrected.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying this. Better than The Paradise. More intrigue/love interest please.