Options

Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,891
    Forum Member
    Is it ramadan? I think it was maybe mentioned once.

Yes, I think its into the 3rd week now.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the war story episode as a stand alone storyline, and I appreciate the reasons behind the BBC doing it. However, I did find the story very slow to get going and then at the conclusion a bit anti climatic. Also how many times did they mention Ramadan? I felt that distracted from the episode too. I know the BBC is all for cultural awareness and equality etc, but seriously how many times this week have we been told in Doctors that it is Ramadan?

Pleased to read the DS article saying Ian Midlane is staying on for another year. Al is one of the best characters there.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also how many times did they mention Ramadan? I felt that distracted from the episode too. I know the BBC is all for cultural awareness and equality etc, but seriously how many times this week have we been told in Doctors that it is Ramadan?
    Exactly. It was the usual BBC going OTT when they have a cause to promote and of course Islam/Muslims is their latest flavour of the day. It'll pass but not until it's been rammed down our throats for a while yet.

I'd stopped watching Doctors as it had become so bad. Thought I'd check it out again to see if it had improved and sadly it hasn't. Can't believe the Karen nonsense is still going on. I take it she's never returning to the person she was. It seems to still be suffering from poor stories and poor writing. It's certainly only a shadow of the programme it used to be unfortunately.
  • Options
    Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the war story episode as a stand alone storyline, and I appreciate the reasons behind the BBC doing it. However, I did find the story very slow to get going and then at the conclusion a bit anti climatic. Also how many times did they mention Ramadan? I felt that distracted from the episode too. I know the BBC is all for cultural awareness and equality etc, but seriously how many times this week have we been told in Doctors that it is Ramadan?

Pleased to read the DS article saying Ian Midlane is staying on for another year. Al is one of the best characters there.

That's one bit of good news that may keep me watching, thanks Secret Life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. It was the usual BBC going OTT when they have a cause to promote and of course Islam/Muslims is their latest flavour of the day. It'll pass but not until it's been rammed down our throats for a while yet.

I'd stopped watching Doctors as it had become so bad. Thought I'd check it out again to see if it had improved and sadly it hasn't. Can't believe the Karen nonsense is still going on. I take it she's never returning to the person she was. It seems to still be suffering from poor stories and poor writing. It's certainly only a shadow of the programme it used to be unfortunately.

Hold on, there have been a number of other things that have taken up a week in storylines like Shakespear and Austin weeks so why not on Ramadam and muslims too? The programme is set and made in Birmingham and Birmingham has a lot of muslims living in it and I for one think that for a city with a considerable amount of muslims living there has not had enough storylines covering muslim characters so I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If "Mr Robson" is getting the urges to rape again then he frankly needs a good hiding and have his urges beaten out of him! >:( Until now it looked like he was struggling with guilt and a lack of opportunities and a second chance but if the man has urges to rape then I'm furious at him!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member

Totally agree. This was the only soap I was watching and I've pretty much stopped since the ridiculous Karen storyline and it still has not improved. A real shame as it used to be quite reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I thought the episodes where Jack and Immy returned and Karen eventually decided to move back home were the conclusion of the storyline and it would just fade into the ether, but from reading the Chris Walker article I'm not so sure now. :(
    That's one bit of good news that may keep me watching, thanks Secret Life.

Al is one of the best characters because he isn't overly compassionate and gushing like some of the characters can be. Makes a refreshing change to how TV doctors are usually portrayed.

So what route is the Josh storyline going to eventually go down? I don't think he will attack Mrs Tembe because it would be too similar to Vivian. Maybe his urges will get the better of him and he will attack someone at the church, the vicar or another churchgoer? Then the message sent out is that a criminal will never change and 'rehabilitation' is futile? Or will Josh, with the help of Mrs Tembe and the church decide to move away from Letherbridge for a new start where no one knows him?
  • Options
    SleepPixieSleepPixie Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Maybe he'll try to attack/ or just creep out Dr Niamh, and Al comes to her rescue?
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SleepPixie wrote: »
    Maybe he'll try to attack/ or just creep out Dr Niamh, and Al comes to her rescue?

I think that may be a bit too close to the Jas exit plot , I dont think Niamh would be on his to do list anyway, she is probably his idea of a good woman she doesn't go out with her bangers on show and she dresses demurely , in short in his mind she's not a tart who deserves what she gets ,
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I am interested to see where the Josh storyline is heading, it is a bit slow. Plus, I know the actor is doing a good job, but the constant angst & twitchiness really puts me on edge.

I'm wondering if he maybe is going to start a relationship with the vicar - although if he did that, I think Mrs Tembe would explode.

I was a little disappointed in her yesterday - if she doesn't want to talk to him about his issues, she should be recommending counselling not just telling him to be quiet - which made me think maybe he starts something with the vicar because he can talk to her. I hope he does not re-offend - that would be a waste of a storyline.

I enjoyed the storyline yesterday about the boy breaking his fast & his mother forgiving him - but we could stop with the Ramadam stories now.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting bored with the batty OAP storylines.

It looks like Josh might be getting his leg over without the need to wait in a car park all evening.

EDIT: To be pedantic, even accounting for the Commonwealth Games break, we'll be "treated" to an episode set in a school in early August (even the Scots aren't back that early, are they?). Tut tut Doctors producers.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    That Martin guy was really gorgeous :blush:

But I have to agree with the above poster the OAP stories are beginning to grate.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see the plastic Christians moaning over a few episodes with Ramadan references.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to say, Doctors is the best soap on TV at the moment, good mix of issues and comedy, my only beef is the way the BBC treat it, taking it off for Christmas and sporting events, yet the boring Eastenders continues, albeit shunted about the schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I imagining it, but haven't we had a storyline revolving around ashes before?

Al and his "I'm a lonely robot too" comment - awwwwww. Just don't turn him and Niamh into another tiresome Cherry and Jimmi scenario.

So that's it until August then...... Guess I'll see you all then :)
  • Options
    Mike_HowlandMike_Howland Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    OAP's and ashes again but who cares when the OAP is the delightful Nicola McAuliff though a little less caustic than she was in Surgical Spirits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OAP's and ashes again but who cares when the OAP is the delightful Nicola McAuliff though a little less caustic than she was in Surgical Spirits.

Hear hear !

So it's off for some sporting event ? And back with a school story ? Which would be pushing it even if it were on tomorrow. I was confused enough with the daffodils in the gardens in late July as it was :D
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hear hear !

So it's off for some sporting event ? And back with a school story ? Which would be pushing it even if it were on tomorrow. I was confused enough with the daffodils in the gardens in late July as it was :D

they must have been high fiving over the mild winter it didnt half bugger up snow watch this year though
  • Options
    Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member

Sadly not, and I wish the Hollins' would just move away (and whilst they're going can they take Kevin, Mandy, Emma and Howard with them?).

Dr Jimmi is treated pretty much as an extra these days and we need more Heston too. I'm enjoying Niamh and Al (two of my favourite newcomers in a long time), though whilst someone made the comparison with Cherry and Jimmi, I think Niamh is a far more likable character than Cherry ever was. I'm interested to see where the Josh story is heading, but it looks like we are heading down more Zara and Daniel marriage problems (yawn!)
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member

Agreed, wonderful to see Nicola again, it has been too long since she has been on our TV screens. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm catching up with episodes I've missed so let me comment on what I have seen recently or not actually too!

Re the Ramadan episodes, it wasn't even a week of episodes was it? Looks like there was 2 episodes that covered ramadam stories, so why the moans about it?

I saw the episode where Niamh was making conversation with Howard in general and then trying to suss if he still holds a torch for Emma - very funny! It looks like Howard thinks that ship has sailed but it was interesting to see that Emma was hoping that he was still interested. Maybe she just likes the thought of him wanting her?

Heston going into Bufo mode again and him imagining he's got an intruder I found irritating. Him still resorting to the cricket bat and saying "AND I WILL FIND YOU" just irked me bigtime!

It might be realistic that he's suffering from PTSD from the burglaries he did suffer but that was in his own house. He's been in Julia's house for ages now and if it wasn't for him getting worked up, he should have sold his own house and bought Julia's one.

Has Al left it too late to get with Niamh? Maybe, but I'm not sure what with the "arrogance" of Al in general that he deserves to have a nice pretty girl like Niamh, though they do click in other ways I suppose.

Finally on Mr Robson and that other volunteer interested in him. Hmmm that is a tricky one. Really I think he does need to tell her about his past and if she really likes him she might still want him once she's seen he's changed.....if he's changed that is. I hope he has.
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long to go now.....Doctors returns Monday 3rd August.
    From the spoilers it looks really good.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s16/doctors/spoilers/a586526/kill-or-cure.html#~oLCAgfNt64UkQu
    :)
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops I meant Monday the 4th August
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All this cross wired stuff in general is irritating. First Al can't see the wood for the trees in that Niamh likes him and now she doesn't realise either that he's had a delayed reaction in liking her back?! :confused:

The Mrs Tembe/Reverand cross wires stuff over Robson is even worse. Hopefully Robson will tell the woman interested in him about his past. I really don't wanna see this end in a mask slipping kind of thing by Josh Robson.
This discussion has been closed.