Options

Doctor Who - "No Flirting"

MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
Forum Member
Since Doctor Who returned in 2005, we've had to deal with some major changes in the show's direction. At the heart of this has been a new approach to the Doctor's relationship with his companions.

In classic Who there was NO funny business. The Doctor wasn't barely allowed to put a reassuring arm around the shoulders of a distraught companion in case it was misconstrued.

But in new Who we've had everything from full-blown romances, unrequited love and even (dare I say it) sex involving the Doctor (although technically the 'sex' was with his wife). We even had Sarah Jane's relationship with the Doctor revisited, with suggestions that she was never able to find a man to fall in love with because the Doctor had been such a 'tough act to follow'.

But how have you coped with all of these shenanigans and do you like Peter Capaldi's announcements there will be no 'flirting' with his Doctor?

The Doctor - sexless or sexy? 79 votes

The Doctor should be a full-on sexy, romantic lead
1% 1 vote
There should be flirting, perhaps a suggestion of more
2% 2 votes
Either way is fine with me
18% 15 votes
A cuddle or a hug is OK but nothing suggestive
24% 19 votes
I'm 100% with Capaldi - NO FLIRTING AT ALL
53% 42 votes

Comments

• Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite happy with this. Hated all the lovey dovey stuff with Rose and Tenth Doctor. Good that the companion will be more like a best friend then a lover.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    I would like to add to the conversation but when I saw the word discuss I can't be bothered now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    I would like to add to the conversation but when I saw the word discuss I can't be bothered now.

I deleted it just for you!
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I think it entirely depends on The Doctor's different personalities really hence why I voted for "Either way is fine with me". :)

Saying I would like to see a different take on The Doctor without the flirtiness this time though, methinks Doc 12 is going to be the pretty awkward type. ;-)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugs and cuddles don't necessarily count as flirting. The First Doctor cuddled Vicki in The Crusade, the Third Doctor was hugged by Jo in The Green Death, the Seventh Doctor hugged Mel in Paradise Towers, and I'm sure there are other examples from Classic Who.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I thought all the flirting began with the McGann TVM?

Actually didn't the Doctor become more asexual as the classic series went on? Watching a few Hartnell episodes he seems to have an eye for the ladies but I don't remember any of that by the 1980s.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I'd be disappointed to see the Doctor not flirting at all with anyone, but I like the idea that Twelve doesn't flirt with Clara. I would love to see Capaldi flirting with Alex Kingston or Barrowman though (although after "Children of Earth" it'd be weird!). ;)
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    A "cuddle or a hug" if the Doctor is comforting someone is fine IMO, but not any further.
    That would be a perfectly natural thing to do if he had just rescued a companion or anyone else from mortal danger, although its appropriateness of course depends on the actual circumstances and the person involved.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the early poll results it looks like we're leaning more towards the 'no flirting' side of things.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    All depends on the Doctor.

It would clearly would not sit right if Clara was having a 'thang' with Capaldi's Doctor.

In terms of character it made sense, at least to me, with 9/10 and Rose. Coming out of the time war, scared, lost everyone and everything, and with the weight of the time war on his shoulders finding comfort with a Human and her family all adds up.

I never did buy the Doctor falling for River Song though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never did buy the Doctor falling for River Song though.

I think you're right in terms of it depending on the Doctor. The 11th Doctor falling for River? No way!

But the 3rd Doctor . . . oh yes!
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be explicit sex scenes every week.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think you're right in terms of it depending on the Doctor. The 11th Doctor falling for River? No way!

But the 3rd Doctor . . . oh yes!

Ageist. :p

Am kidding. But three was way too serious to put up with such shenanigans, wasn't he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am tired of all the casual kissing to be honest. For example, Clara will be imperiled in some way and the Doctor will kiss her head affectionately when she is safe. I suppose it's supposed to show a human, compassionate side that we can recognize, but I don't go around kissing my friends and I don't know many people who do. It's actually a non typical form of behaviour. Maybe in the luvvie world of acting it's more common but for the everyday person those types of reactions are not the norm.

Of course, my post above was facetious, but in actual fact I would actually prefer sex in the TARDIS, outright romance, than this kind of friendly petting that has increased more and more. The former would at least be realistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am kidding. But three was way too serious to put up with such shenanigans, wasn't he?

He may have been the only Doctor to show no romantic interests at all, although I admit I'm not wracking my brain terribly hard at the moment and I could be forgetting something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who is a fantasy show, not a soap opera. So, I don't really like too much flirting and romances. And it is very important that soapy stuff does not interfere with the main action (for example, Amy-Rory romance was far too much IMO).
    There might be some unimportant falling in love with Doctor (like Martha fell in love with Doctor) that can be useful for character development but everything else is too soapy IMO.
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I believe a hug is ok in times of support, happiness or sadness but nothing more than that. The only problem i have with nuwho is the romance stuff TBH.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this means the new Doctor and Clara can have a proper conversation instead of chucking flirty one-liners at each other and then raising an ironic eyebrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If any woman could get the 3rd Doctor all fired up, it would be River! :D I could just seem them bantering in a really sexy clever way. Jon Pertwee was a very sexy man (I think).

Overall I have no problem with the Doctor either being a full on romantic lead or someone who has no romantic/sexual inclinations at all.

But, as a romantic character, he certainly can't fall in love with every companion, so I think him falling in love with Rose was great but now he needs to just be friends with Clara.

I wouldn't want him to turn into a Captain Jack character, though, and flirt/have sex with anyone and anything. That could get a bit tiresome.

But if he is to be someone with no romantic/sexual inclinations at all, I still want warmth - a hug when the companion needs one is really important. I don't want Sheldon Cooper!
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the doctor & companion. I personally felt that for where the Doctor has been emotionally from the time war, it seemed natural that he might be feeling the need for a bit a love and romance in his life. Plus Captain Jack & River are defined by flirty banter and wouldn't have worked as characters without.

That said I suspect if you put a gun to my head my favourite Doctor/companion was Ten & Donna ( although that wasn't totally flirt free).
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capaldi is twice Coleman's age. Just ew.

I like my Doctors avuncular.

We need more "Tora, Tora, Tora!" and less of "Pearl Harbor".
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Capaldi is twice Coleman's age. Just ew.

I like my Doctors avuncular.

We need more "Tora, Tora, Tora!" and less of "Pearl Harbor".

But only 5 years older than Alex Kingston, so perfectly normal.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Doctor has never been one to hold back on self-expression. So I don't think a little unabashed affection is in any way out of character. I don't get why he would see a companion as anything other than a friend or colleague, though.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No flirting for now. Capaldi's right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with a thank you or a reassuring hug