anyone here got barrets esphosogus/acid reflux?

2»

Comments

• JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    add-ons wrote: »
    Please go to your GP and ask for an endoscopy. If you have acid reflux for this length of time it needs proper investigation

Hi
    I went to the Gp a while ago because it was getting really bad but he put it down to a mixture of hormonal changes (I am pre-menopausal) and anxiety as I was having a stressful time at work. I was also eating my meals at work on the hoof and very quickly. I was advised to see how it goes for another few months and they might do a breath test for H pylori first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    Hi
    I went to the Gp a while ago because it was getting really bad but he put it down to a mixture of hormonal changes (I am pre-menopausal) and anxiety as I was having a stressful time at work. I was also eating my meals at work on the hoof and very quickly. I was advised to see how it goes for another few months and they might do a breath test for H pylori first.

I´ve had acid probs on and off for years. Started in my mid 20´s when I got an ulcer but didnt have the Hpylori either so had to take tablets for a year before it shifted. Now i cant drink wine or spicy foods and god help if I get stressed, the first sign is acid stomach. I favour Ranatidine tablets over Omniprazole and take them for a couple of weeks at a time then leave it til the next flair up. Cant take Asperin and Ibruprofen but if they´re the only tablets around then only with lots of food and a Ranatidine as well.

My BF has no esphosogus from years of karate combat getting walloped in that area and the pair of us have a drawer full of all sorts of anti acid medication, he also has certain food intollerancies from this now. Live yeast, ié some pizzas and beer are a no no for him these days. I do suggest you go to the doctor for a check up, make sure you have the harmless acid thing going on .
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I have been on daily omaprazole for years - it is a tint little pill but I can feel the symptons if I miss a dose. Even with this , if I over eat anything too rich or go to sleep on a full stomach, I can wake up with a horrid burning throat and a choking sensation.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hobbes wrote: »
    I have been on daily omaprazole for years - it is a tint little pill but I can feel the symptons if I miss a dose. Even with this , if I over eat anything too rich or go to sleep on a full stomach, I can wake up with a horrid burning throat and a choking sensation.

It's a bastard isn't it? To put it lightly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do I was taking tablets for it but now I've stopped. I just stay away from foods that I know irritate it.
  • Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    I was originally given Omeprazole but apparently it can cause more harm than good in some patients like me. I found i had gone from having burning acid in my throat which it was to cure, to ending up with severe stomach pains almost every day for hours on end.

After trying various different things to avoid the pain I stopped taking the omeprazole as i read it can cause problems and instantly the pain went away within 2 days but the acid came back as bad as ever. I checked in with the Doctor and they agreed that 2 in 5 people can have very nasty side effects to it. After trying me on Eomeprazole instead and a higher dose and still finding the pain returned, they changed me to the less popular H2 blocker which needs to be taken twice a day as it isnt as long lasting or as effective as the prazole range and it has helped enormously.
    Interestingly I was told and read about Omeprazole and once you take it, it takes approximately an hour to start working and will last up to 2 to 3 days on a single tablet in your system. So if you are taking this and your finding acid returning that very same day then it is not working right so either needs changing or increasing the dosage. An average person who suffers constant acid should be able to take a dose and once the acid stops it should stay away for at least 48 hours before it returns should you stop taking them.

I still get flare ups but through research I have found that, and this is different for everyone so may not apply to you, that....

-Caffeine should be avoided, although low amounts of it may be got away with. For example, dark chocolate and cadbury chocolate are high caffeine and DO cause me problems, whereas other milk chocolate such as some nestle, is much easier to cope with.
    -Alcohol should be best avoided but a glass of wine or a half lager doesnt seem to have too much of an effect, its only if you drink larger amounts you may suffer.
    -Avoid spicy foods as these can cause acid quickly, so maybe knock curry takeaways on the head, or at least what I do is treat myself once a month and lay off the sauce, instead sticking to a fairly large amount of boiled rice and then the chicken from the chicken tikka picked out of the sauce with a fork and laid on the plate rather than pour all the sauce over it. Its a bit of a waste but i find if i avoid the sauce and just have a slight drizzle and whatever is coating the chicken i can get away with it and still enjoy the flavour.

-A few tips on what to avoid also, do not eat any food for a minimum of 2 hours before you lay down in bed. As eating food produces acid and laying down causes that fresh acid to wash up the lose sphincter that closes off the stomach from the throat. Try to lay off liquids for an hour before laying down too.
    -Try to raise the head-end of your bed by 6 inches, such as slotting books under the bed feet. This causes your head to be slightly higher than your feet and gravity takes over in the night and stops acid flushing uphill, keeping it in the pit of your stomach.
    -Lose weight if you are fat. It sounds obvious but I was overweight and most people I know who have suffered have been at least 3 or more stone overweight and this doesnt help matters, losing weight for me has not cured me of it, but it does seem to make the symptoms less and has given me a healthier feeling even when i have suffered that helps me combat any flare ups.
    -Be careful with fruit, especially citrus as these can cause you acid. I found that fresh orange juice was no better for me than drinking car battery acid and so i avoid that and any other citrus drinks. Instead i stick mainly to water which is boring but after a while you soon get used to drinking water as part of your daily life.
    -Interestingly I found that as part of my new healthy routine to beat this I would start eating more yoghurts, especially Muller fat free yoghurts as I thought they would be good for me..... I have since found that they have caused me no end of grief causing very bad flare ups every time i eat one! I ate one, 3 hours later i would feel the pain coming on, and stupidly i didnt link it as i thought it was healthy, so it took me a lot of eating and a lot of pain before i suddenly realised that link. I stopped eating them and rarely have either the pain, or the severity of it. I tried eating a couple again after a 3 month break to test it and i was crippled with stomach pains. So sometimes even the most innocent or healthy of options can sometimes be what unsettles your stomach. My doctor also advised me to be careful with Tomato's and tomato based products like pizza or tomato soup as they are a very common factor of causing reflux.
    -You should also consider whether your stomach is flushing food out quickly and effectively enough. In other words make sure you are regular to the toilet and not constipated often, as this backlog building up can cause your stomach to go into trouble over it and can cause flare ups. Again, if you do have problems your GP can offer other medicine that helps you become more regular and as my GP called it "Help evacuate your stomach quicker so the acid doesnt have time to build up on food!"
    - Eat little but often is something that a lot of weight loss diets suggest but it actually works with acid reflux too, if you overfill your stomach your going to find you are causing it to work harder by producing more acid to try and break it down and more acid can mean more pain. So stick to half portions and snack on light things such as a couple of rich tea biscuits between meals so that your stomach is constantly working but not overcome with how much it is working on. It will also help your weight loss if you need it too!

Finally there is no exact solution or cure to this that works with everyone. The biggest thing I have found is how unique everyone with this condition is and how it effects them. One person can eat or drink something another one might as well consider being poison to them. One person can take some medications while another cant without bad side effects. What I would suggest is if you suffer from acid burning in your throat a lot and consume a lot of Gaviscon or similar product, then go see a GP who will get you checked with an Endoscopy. They check for Acid Reflux, they check for an Ulcer and they check for stomach cancer with it.
    My diagnosis was severe GERD which is the technical name for acid reflux and Wikipedia have a fantastic amount of info about GERD and what to expect for reference. It also includes other health issues you may be suffering that is linked to GERD such as gallstones, Sinusitis , ashthma and laryngitis.

All I can suggest is if you routinely suffer pain or bad acid to seek a GP you are comfortable talking too and ask them to try things slowly, one step at a time followed by a review. I was told by my GP that too many GP's rush you on to about 3 or 4 different medications straight away and then have no idea what is fixing the issue and what is causing side-effects, so to try a medication, then go back 2 weeks later and discuss how you got on and what to do change next, until eventually you will end up with a right balance of what you need to live a much better and healthier lifestyle for the future.

:)
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly I was told and read about Omeprazole and once you take it, it takes approximately an hour to start working and will last up to 2 to 3 days on a single tablet in your system.

I wish it did, I have to take one daily otherwise the pain comes back that said I can cope if I miss a day but they are the lowest strength that I have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have a similar reflux problem.
    My solution is to not eat anything for three hours before I lie down to sleep at night.
    The foods that irritate me most, I avoid,
    lettuce, apples, tomatoes, cranberry juice, coffee, any kind of creamy sauce, mayonaise, fatty foods like butter and the worst offender of all and I love it, is soft cheese.
    I do have Nexium tablets if needed and Gaviscon but try not to use them.
    Strangely alcohol never irritates me at all and it often sooths the stinging.
  • TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys

My father has now been told he has to take a round of 40mg omeprazole and get another biopsy in 3 months time. His first one was 2 months ago.

It is worrying
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much to everyone my dad also takes Omeprazole and he's worried he can never drink alcohol again but Im sure he'll get over it.

I'm on Lansoprazole and find Guinness does not cause me any problems.
  • Barbarella81Barbarella81 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been taking lansozaprole for about 10 days now, and seem to be suffering from a constantly aching back and throbbing pain in my lower stomach ever since. Has anyone else had similar side effects?
    And not only that, but I was up all night at the weekend with what I thought was previously acid reflux. But maybe not, seeing as I'm taking the tablets to try prevent it!
    My doctor said I should take the tablets for 30 days and then go back and see him. I'm not sure I can take 20 more days of aches and pains. Should the tablets work immediately?
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a lot of acid indigestion and after consuming gallons of Gaviscon I had an endoscopy which showed a hiatus hernia for which I was prescribed Omeprazole. I have been on it for 2 years and it gets rid of the acid but lately I am getting a pain undr my breast bone that goes through to the back. I also feel uncomfortably full like when you are pregnant and the baby is up under your ribs. I know I will have to go back to the docs but I dread another endoscopy because the sedation they gave me last time didnt work and I found it quite traumatic.