Options

Walking across fields with cattle on them

Comments

• Options
    InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    By the way he was black so maybe not a dairy bull. He was only quite small and looked friendly from a distance.

Good luck milking him :)
  • Options
    Dr KimDr Kim Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of you are right pansies. I used to go running and used to run through fields of cows, sheep and all sorts. Harden up!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smallalien wrote: »
    Working bulls are in fields with cow, their job is impregnating the cows, some farmers still do it that way. They're not dangerous though when they're working. They're only dangerous when they're not getting sex.
    When you put it like that it adds a whole new dimension to the fear :D
    By the way he was black so maybe not a dairy bull. He was only quite small and looked friendly from a distance.
    Well that's something you could never say about Gordon Brown :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulls are often brought in for breeding - they're often very tame and harmless (there used to be a lovely old brute who did a great job of scaring cyclists off the footpath, and loved having his chin tickled by our house).

Dairy cows will quite often stand in your way (black and white mostly), whereas beef cattle (reds and blacks mostly) tend to shift. Dairy herds run around a bit more and can seem more threatening (they like to follow people), but if you give them a wide berth and no reason to be startled, you may be fine.
    You're right. The ones near my office are black and white, the ones near my house are red/brown.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My great uncle used to put the rings on bulls.

They have weddings for cattle? :D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    When you put it like that it adds a whole new dimension to the fear :DWell that's something you could never say about Gordon Brown :)

Being chased by a (quite literally) horny bull has to be a better workout than even half an hour on a gym treadmill, and way cheaper.:D
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Kim wrote: »
    Some of you are right pansies. I used to go running and used to run through fields of cows, sheep and all sorts. Harden up!

I think it is sensible to treat any animals with respect, especially if they have young, but as someone who has lived in the countryside all of my life I wouldn't have a problem walking through a field of farm animals.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and I once saw one of those toss a labrador over a hedge.

Did it give Blow Jobs as well? :D
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cows are fairly predictable. If one charges at you then you charge towards it waving your arms and making lots of noise. 9 times out of 10 it will skid to a halt and run away. If it doesn't then you have more chance of jumping out of the way when you are running towards it rather than running away from it.

Most of the time they will just stand around and move out of the way if you walk towards them. Youngsters can be a bit more of a problem but they are normally just curious and will scatter if you make any sudden moves or jump towards them.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only animals I'm not too keen on are wild horses. They are dangerous at both ends and can be unpredictable, especially when it is foggy or windy.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    I think it is sensible to treat any animals with respect, especially if they have young, but as someone who has lived in the countryside all of my life I wouldn't have a problem walking through a field of farm animals.

We regularly walk on a path that has cows nearby, mostly behind a fence, but occasionally on the path. If they are treated with respect they never seem to be any bother. I remember one time a mother was feeding her calf but she went to the toilet at the same time, the little calf emerged with half of their face covered in poo and the most comical expression I have ever seen on an animal! If ever there was a time that I wished I had my camera it was then. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a field full of horses near the station in Hemel, and it can be rather disconcerting when they gang up on you and follow you. Even the river doesn't stop them, they'll take to the bridge or walk through the water in their efforts to follow. Totally friendly though, if you don't want to deal with them you just don't make eye contact and keep walking. The same applies to cows and sheep. They're not out to get anyone.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i won`t walk across a field with cattle, three people i know have been chased hard and two people in the area that i know of have been killed by them.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People do come out here to the country expecting some sort of pleasant green theme park. We live and work here too. Just use common sense, especially on narrow roads with no pavement.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Did it give Blow Jobs as well? :D

What's that? :confused:
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    People do come out here to the country expecting some sort of pleasant green theme park. We live and work here too. Just use common sense, especially on narrow roads with no pavement.

When it comes to some townies visiting the countryside, I think I've spotted a flaw in your argument.... :D:D

/tongue-in-cheek
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    You're right. The ones near my office are black and white, the ones near my house are red/brown.

I know I am :D Sorry, that's cheeky, I know you're being nice :)

I grew up in the deep countryside, and we had grown men knocking on our windows to get someone to shift cattle for them (my parents let me do it, as it's funnier seeing a seven year old clear cattle for adults).

My OH loves the novelty of it - we visited my parents recently and a bullock was acting up near the path and my Dad waved his finger at it and said 'Now just you stop that!' and it calmed down and looked at him, all contrite! Maybe my family just have magical cow repelling abilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH loves the novelty of it - we visited my parents recently and a bullock was acting up near the path and my Dad waved his finger at it and said 'Now just you stop that!' and it calmed down and looked at him, all contrite! Maybe my family just have magical cow repelling abilities.
    Funny! I talk to them occasionally but I usually say things like "Never any mustard around when you want it". I doubt that encourages much respect from them :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smallalien wrote: »
    Working bulls are in fields with cow, their job is impregnating the cows, some farmers still do it that way. They're not dangerous though when they're working. They're only dangerous when they're not getting sex.

One of my in laws was killed by a bull but that was because he kept a load of female cattle for show breeding. Next doors bull escaped from it's field because an electric fence failed and he was gored and trampled because the bull was trying to get at the cattle in the cattle sheds and he was in the way.

But a bull in a field of cows is getting his end away and so is not dangerous.

I'm just the same
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What surprises me about all of this is that people are allowed to go walking through other people's fields. Where I am in Northern Ireland, if you enter someone else's field you run the risk of being shot in the arse with an air rifle, or worse - especially if there is livestock in it.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    What surprises me about all of this is that people are allowed to go walking through other people's fields. Where I am in Northern Ireland, if you enter someone else's field you run the risk of being shot in the arse with an air rifle, or worse - especially if there is livestock in it.

plenty of farmer`s fields have public footpaths through them.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    Yes. But my post was about my own ignorance in not realising it was within the law to keep certain bulls on fields with public rights of access.
    I do live within a 1/2 mile of countryside but it is all crop fields and some sheep so I am not used to cows.
    I am not going to walk past any cows again in case I come across a bull.

It doesn't sound like you have now - you don't appear to have checked if it was a 'bull' or not (a ring doesn't mean it's a bull) - it's obviously VERY easy to tell :D

Almost everything you meet will be either a cow or a bullock, and as others have said it would be EXTREMELY rare to place a bull in a field full of cows.

I've lived in the country all my life, and the most intimidating thing with cows/bullocks is that sometimes they follow you - presumably thinking you've come to take them back to the shed.

There you are, happily walking along the footpath - suddenly you get the feeling you're been followed! :eek:

You stop, turn round and about a foot away there's a herd of cattle watching you - they generally follow you this closely right across the field, and if you try and shoo them away they only go a couple of yards and then come back.

But mostly they just get out of your way - if you'd continued walking along the path then it's pretty certain the animal would have got out of your way - VERY occasionally though they don't, and you have to walk round them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a ring through its nose. I wasn't hanging around to check his date of birth and to see if he was under 10 months old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    It's even more odd in Scotland. In England and Wales you're supposed to keep to the footpath and landowners have a duty to keep them passable - even clearing a path through crops. But in Scotland you really can walk anywhere you want - the only advice is that if someone is working the fields it's a good idea to avoid getting in their way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm now learning a lot about cows. In England a bullock is a castrated bull of any age but in the USA it is a bull under a certain age, I'm presuming 10 months.