Lack of contestants with disabilities?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
In other talent singing shows we see people with more disabilities then the X Factor UK.

Do you think there should be more on the show?

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are good enough they'll get on.
  • InsomniacParadeInsomniacParade Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerry McGregor was disabled and the one from 2 To Go was blind and they got to the live shows. That proves without a shadow of a doubt that there is no discrimination against disabled people whatsoever, anyone who is actually disabled and says that they face challenges because of it is just playing the disabled card and anyone who says otherwise is part of the loony left PC-brigade and should be round up and shot.

(Am I doing it right? ;) )
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kerry McGregor was disabled and the one from 2 To Go was blind and they got to the live shows. That proves without a shadow of a doubt that there is no discrimination against disabled people whatsoever, anyone who is actually disabled and says that they face challenges because of it is just playing the disabled card and anyone who says otherwise is part of the loony left PC-brigade and should be round up and shot.

(Am I doing it right? ;) )

I don't think there's discrimination as such, but look at Susan Boyle, she has Aspergers and is one of the most successful reality TV contestants.

I think we probably need to make it more appealing for disabled peeps to audition for the show, like other countries.
  • InsomniacParadeInsomniacParade Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I don't think there's discrimination as such, but look at Susan Boyle, she has Aspergers and is one of the most successful reality TV contestants.

I think we probably need to make it more appealing for disabled peeps to audition for the show, like other countries.

Putting my serious hat on, I think this is a challenge we face in pretty much every part of society, We don't see any disabled singers coming from any of the more "traditional" avenues making it big either.

I think the X Factor producers would actually love to have a disabled contestant who was good enough to go far, "inspiration" and other words come to mind. I just wonder if a lot of these people feel (with some justification) that popstar is one of the careers that is closed to them so don't try to pursue it.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Many are certainly deaf.
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you aware of The X Factor US? They had two contestants in the Top 13 this year with disabilities, one was a guy with a stutter/stammer and a girl with underdeveloped arms.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abi Alton was blind. :D
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you aware of The X Factor US? They had two contestants in the Top 13 this year with disabilities, one was a guy with a stutter/stammer and a girl with underdeveloped arms.

Don't forget Gareth Gates had a terrible stammer too (I know he was Pop Idol, not XF)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the contestants are clearly deaf, does that count?