Chromecast on sale in UK on March 1

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a549754/google-chromecast-on-sale-in-uk-on-march-1.html

Initially in Currys apparently. I wonder if it'll be the same price in pounds at £35 quid ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I bought an imported one from Amazon several months ago & not regretted it. It's literally turned YouTube into a TV channel for me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good to know. I've got a "smart" Bluray player though with stuff like YouTube, Netflix etc.. so it makes me wonder I did get much use out of one.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    That's good to know. I've got a "smart" Bluray player though with stuff like YouTube, Netflix etc.. so it makes me wonder I did get much use out of one.

Could be useful on a 2nd television or visiting friends.
    Forum Member
    It would be more useful if it could mirror everything on your TV from an Android device. Hopefully now they have released the development kit, it will become more versatile soon.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got mine yesterday mainly for YouTube use it has to be said but what a great little gadget it is, plays YouTube in full HD better than most computers ever could.
    Forum Member
    I got mine yesterday mainly for YouTube use it has to be said but what a great little gadget it is, plays YouTube in full HD better than most computers ever could.

Yes, I've been really impressed with the picture quality, and absence of buffering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, last night, it worked perfectly.

Today, at this moment, I am seriously considering returning it. So buggy. I've had to reboot the device twice now in the space of 2 hours.

First on YouTube, after playing 2 songs, I picked another, and it played the first few seconds of it before returning back to the first song I chose, and refused to do anything else.

After a reboot, YouTube was fine, but then I decided to listen to an album on my Google Play library. It just wouldn't play the song, it was like it was skipping through it in fast forward, but with no sound.

I feel like this is going to be too frustrating to rely on, the only reason I am kind of forgiving it is the price. As it stands though, its a decent product but not a great one.

Might have to reconsider the idea of a HTPC or Android TV box.

Edit: I think the Google Play music issue was the files I was trying to play as it still did it after a reboot, but some other files are OK. Frustrating because it plays fine on my phone, tablet and computer.

Edit 2: I also noted some videos are not available to play on the TV, such as Rihanna's "We Found Love". Can anyone else try this song and see if they can play it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been pretty much glitch free for most of the day after those early hickups. Can't complain too much I think for the price, but definitely not perfect.

I tried casting from the browser tab, not sure if its my laptop being underpowered, as it is fairly old, but it was pretty choppy especially with embedded video. Won't be using it for xhamster on the TV any time soon ;)
  • jasperjonesjasperjones Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Been pretty much glitch free for most of the day after those early hickups. Can't complain too much I think for the price, but definitely not perfect.

I tried casting from the browser tab, not sure if its my laptop being underpowered, as it is fairly old, but it was pretty choppy especially with embedded video. Won't be using it for xhamster on the TV any time soon ;)

Got myself 2 in sept 2013 when i was in Georgia,i have tried casting from the browser on a old laptop running vista,and it is unwatchable,but using my pc (hard wired to my router) it is perfect,
    Mostly gets used to watch youtube,from off my i-pad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Well here we are on the 1st of March and surprise surprise - no show in Currys. Usual Dixons/currys attention to detail. Google have said it will not be available todayand there is no set date for launch either. Looks like it'll be online then.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well here we are on the 1st of March and surprise surprise - no show in Currys. Usual Dixons/currys attention to detail. Google have said it will not be available todayand there is no set date for launch either. Looks like it'll be online then.
    When did Currys say it would be on sale on 1 March? I don't recall them saying that. Some websites did but that's not the same thing.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does this little dongle have a remote control or how does it work exactly?
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    So does this little dongle have a remote control or how does it work exactly?
    Your mobile or tablet is sort of the remote control,on google chrome you go to the site you want i.e. youtube,then send it (or cast it as they call it) to the Chromcast and watch it on your tv
    Forum Member
    Roku Streaming Stick......As the Chromcast is still not out in the uk,will this be a better option,here is a link to one of the reviews !
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127677-roku-streaming-stick-vs-google-chromecast-what-s-the-difference
  • TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Not interested as I can't use my amp with these usb sticks, was thinking of maybe looking at the Roku stick, but not sure it's worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I try to follow what the guys are up to at AEI, but they have a widget called a DigiSender Screencast2.0 adaptor. It has two settings one for Miracast and another for DLNA so seemingly double that of a chromecast. When you download their setup wizard for Android you also get an add supported App with 500 TV channels. http://www.digisender.tv/screencast
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not interested as I can't use my amp with these usb sticks, was thinking of maybe looking at the Roku stick, but not sure it's worth it.

you can if your amp has HDMI inputs.
    besides, they are not "USB sticks" anyway.
    Forum Member
    I continue to be impressed by my Chromecast. I'm currently watching Big Brother Canada using a proxy server & casting a full screen Windows 7 desktop of the online show to my tv, runs smoothly up to 720p.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Mikdyer252 wrote: »
    Chromecast. 720p.
    I'm rocking at 1080 with me Screencast Widget and it only cost me 30 squids :)
    Forum Member
    dave69 wrote: »
    I'm rocking at 1080 with me Screencast Widget and it only cost me 30 squids :)

Well it's capable of 1080p, but I'm not sure my network is !
  • BeanFeastivalBeanFeastival Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a549754/google-chromecast-on-sale-in-uk-on-march-1.html

Initially in Currys apparently. I wonder if it'll be the same price in pounds at £35 quid ?
    Probably a better chance of a flying pig coming to take you from your place of residence to your nearest Currys store than that being true! :(
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is the difference between a chromecast tv stick and a normal android tv stick?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member

Doesn't your tv have an audio out? If it does then just run the tv output to the amp,