Options

How to chromecast us geoblocked sites in UK

oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It is well known how to visit USA geoblocked sites by entering a smart dns on a router, and pointing PC DNS to router gateway (or putting smart dns on PC).

Unfortunately, the chromecast dongle is hardcoded to the google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.so you cannot change them to a smart dns or a gateway address.

This means you cannot chromecast (say) netflix usa in UK.

On web, the predominant advice is to change to a DDR-WT router and do some special configurations. By and large this is not worth the effort when a long HDMI cable would work.

However, I came across a simpler solution as in web page below.

http://www.netmagellan.com/using-chromecast-with-netflix-in-australia-1737.html

Many modern routers allow you set up static IP routes i,.e. you force request to go in a particular direction i.e. you force 8.8.8.8 and 8,.8.4.4. requests to go to your gateway which is configured with a smart dns.

Looks quite straightforward and I think I can do this on my TP-LINK and will try it.

Comments

• Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just dial up the site from your chrome browser then cast it onto your TV with the Google cast extension?
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Why not just dial up the site from your chrome browser then cast it onto your TV with the Google cast extension?

Because tab casting is still buggy, takes over your computer if you go full screen and if you tab cast netflix, YouTube or others then any plugin like Hola or locally set DNS servers get overiden as it pulls the data directly
  • Options
    billpabillpa Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I can confirm this works. I'm in the US and have been enjoying BBC iplayer with this method.