Funeral Mass? (Roman Catholic)

GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My wife has been invited to a funeral mass (Roman Catholic).

Would I be right in thinking this is not an actual funeral with a journey to the graveyard or crematorium?

I am thinking it is just basically a religious service. Am I correct?

I don't have a religious bone in my body so know little of these things.

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass then graveyard/crem.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    When my Catholic grandmother died, the funeral was in 3 parts, the vigil the night before, (family only), then the requiem mass, then the burial. Not everyone who attended the mass came to the cemetery.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a Requiem Mass, or a short Mass, then graveyard or crematorium.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has been invited to the mass and a luncheon later. No mention of attending the actual burial / cremation.

She will have to play it by ear!
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it is the actual Funeral then and not the Mass the previous night as Frankie referred to in her post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has been invited to the mass and a luncheon later. No mention of attending the actual burial / cremation.

It will be up to her to decide if she wants to attend the graveside/crematorium, sometimes family members only, go to the graveside.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will probably be funeral mass then cemetary (not sure if it will be a cremation as that isn't a very Catholic thing is it? Not for older Catholics certainly). When my Gran died she had the full Mass but we said those people who didn't want to attend the actual burial could go straight to the hotel. I don't think we would have wanted loads of people all looking as she was buried. That is a very private moment. But everyone is different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    It will probably be funeral mass then cemetary (not sure if it will be a cremation as that isn't a very Catholic thing is it? Not for older Catholics certainly). When my Gran died she had the full Mass but we said those people who didn't want to attend the actual burial could go straight to the hotel. I don't think we would have wanted loads of people all looking as she was buried. That is a very private moment. But everyone is different.

I have quite a few Catholic friends and most of them now choose to be cremated, very few seem to opt for burial.
    Forum Member

Is it a close friend/family member who has passed away? She should be guided by what she feels is appropriate.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by "invited"?

If that was done by the family members, there would be no problem with her attending the graveyard / crematorium and then the reception afterwards.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    It will be up to her to decide if she wants to attend the graveside/crematorium, sometimes family members only, go to the graveside.

I don't think most families are bothered by who turns up at the graveyard : it's a public cemetery after all and anyone is free to be there if they like, as long as they are not imposing themselves.
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    When my Catholic grandmother died, the funeral was in 3 parts, the vigil the night before, (family only), then the requiem mass, then the burial. Not everyone who attended the mass came to the cemetery.

this happened with my mother too,gentlemen only at the graveside
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife is a carer and was the carer for this very elderly lady for some time.
    The family have requested that she attend because the deceased thought very highly of her.
    My wife was quite attached to the deceased and is ok with attending the actual burial / cremation but doesn't want to offend anyone and is unsure what to do.

I believe that she will just go with the flow and do what seems right at the time.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I have quite a few Catholic friends and most of them now choose to be cremated, very few seem to opt for burial.

Maybe it is just people of a certain age. My father was very clear he did not want cremating for religious reasons. But younger people maybe don't have that belief. I'm not sure if it's even part of Catholicism now.
    Forum Member
    My wife is a carer and was the carer for this very elderly lady for some time.
    The family have requested that she attend because the deceased thought very highly of her.
    My wife was quite attached to the deceased and is ok with attending the actual burial / cremation but doesn't want to offend anyone and is unsure what to do.

I believe that she will just go with the flow and do what seems right at the time.
    How lovely of the family to invite your wife, and what an accolade that is for her.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience here in Ireland, you go to the funeral mass, then if the family want it, it's announced where the person is being buried and the congregation is more than welcome to attend or else they state it's a private burial. Them the priest normally says the family would like you to join them for some refreshments at insert name of venue.

Ps also know in lots of cases you have funeral mass then crematorium then the lunch etc after.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I am RC and have friends and family in England and Ireland - the arrangements are quite different in both. In England, usually the funeral is up to a week or more after the death whereas in Ireland it's within 48 hours (unless a PM is required).

The evening before the funeral the body, in an open coffin, can be viewed by friends and family in the funeral parlour and prayers are said by the family priest (and usually a decade of the rosary). The deceased is then ''removed'' in a hearse to the church, referred to by Irish Catholics as the ''removal''. Lots of people gather in the church for a short service. In Ireland the church would be full, particularly if many people cannot make it to the actual funeral mass the following day, eg it it's a work day. At the end of the service the attendees make their way up to the front of the church and take it in turn to convey their sympathy to the mourners in the front row.

The funeral mass is the next morning. Anybody wishing to pay their last respects can attend the funeral but only those who are invited go on to the buffet lunch afterwards - usually a local pub or a hotel, sometimes a large restaurant. The mass is not of standard length (unless it's part of the normal Sunday mass service) and, particularly in England, a family member will often deliver a eulogy on the deceased. This rarely happens in Ireland (in my home town anyway) - parishioners thought we were very ''English'' when my cousin delivered a lovely short eulogy for my uncle who died suddenly a few years ago.

The burials in England are often some way away from the church so only those who particularly want to, follow the funeral cortege in their cars. Others go home, or if invited go on to the place where the lunch is to be held. In Ireland, in my home town, up to about 80 people have a proper 3 course waitress served lunch but in England it's generally a help yourself buffet so more people may be invited - or just turn up!

I have never attended a Catholic cremation but I understand it is becoming increasingly common now that it has been accepted by the Church. The problem is that there aren't that many grave plots available, they are incredibly expensive too and often not that easy to visit if they are some distance away. They need regular maintenance or they look very tatty and some people just lose interest after a while in keeping their loved one's grave tidy. Cremation is a lot more straightforward.

I quite like visiting graveyards however. When I visit my parents in Ireland, I always drive up to the church to walk around the graveyard and remember with nostalgia all the many people I have known since my childhood who are no longer here.

As a nurse I often get invited to funerals but I've never attended a patient's funeral, only colleagues' who I worked with and was close to. I like to keep my work and personal lives very separate but I still think fondly and sadly of a few patients who died many, many years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Maybe it is just people of a certain age. My father was very clear he did not want cremating for religious reasons. But younger people maybe don't have that belief. I'm not sure if it's even part of Catholicism now.

Maybe because it is cheaper to be cremated, than to open a new grave, unless it's a family plot.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been attending Catholic funerals for more than 20 years in Britain. Here's how they generally work:

- The evening before the funeral, the body is received into the church. This is normally attended by a fairly small number of people, mainly the family and those who will be unable to attend the funeral the next day due to work commitments. There is a short service of prayers, nowhere near the length of a full Mass, and rarely contains hymn signing.

- The funeral itself is very similar in length and structure to a standard Sunday Mass, in other words, 45 minutes to an hour. The main difference being the hymns are more sombre and the sermon takes the form of a tribute to the deceased, usually by the priest or sometimes by a family member.

- There is no objection to Catholics being cremated and hasn't been for at least 20 years, probably a lot longer than that. At the conclusion of the Mass, the deceased will be taken to the crematorium or the cemetery. There is usually no cemetery in the church grounds (or at least, not one with plots available), so the deceased is taken to one which is normally a car journey away, as is the crematorium.

- If it's a cemetery, there are no rules as such as to who is allowed to attend, although typically it is just family and close friends. The priest will say some prayers as the body is lowered into the grave.

- If it's a crematorium, all who attend the Mass are usually welcome to attend, but those who have to return to work, or don't have transport to the crematorium, will not do so. Sometimes an announcement will be made at the end of Mass that the crematorium is family only, though. There will be another service of hymns and prayers at the crematorium, but it'll be shorter than the Mass you've just been to.

- Light refreshments are often served afterwards, often at the deceased's home. I often get the impression (I may be wrong) that the family would like some private time so I don't tend to stick around for too long.

In my experience, Catholic Requiem Masses are often slightly lighter in tone than traditional Anglican Funerals, in that there is quite a bit of emphasis on the deceased being in Heaven and the hope of the Resurrection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It went very well apparently and my wife was made to feel welcome. :)

She did attend the cremation.