Options

chis evans awful listen

bh21bh21 Posts: 161
Forum Member
Is it maybe just me . but this mornings Chris Evans show is awful . the love in between Chris . David baddiel and Billie Piper is cringeworthy to say the least . its all aren't / weren't we great/cool . slipping back into the end of the radio 1 and tfi era I think . cars money time off . will probably get slated for my view but just wondering if others thot the same

Comments

• Options
    Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible show. Never listen. I wait until Ken Bruce starts at 9.30.
    Some one will say about their huge listening figures. Well they are a national station on FM.. With virtually 100% coverage of the UK. The only other rival is Radio 1 on a national basis.
    Would rather listen to Heart and that's pushing it!!
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Hits wrote: »
    Some one will say about their huge listening figures. Well they are a national station on FM.. With virtually 100% coverage of the UK. The only other rival is Radio 1 on a national basis.

I know what you mean about Heart. At least Heart play lots of music, it may not be my favourite music a lot of the time and it is very limited, but at least there is a lot of it and not a lot of inane chat like Radio 2 keep doing all the time. Radio 6 Music is guilty of that sometimes also. It should be renamed Radio 6 Chat with a little music!
    As for huge listening figures? Well the UK is full of people who follow each other like Sheep no matter what.
  • Options
    CynicalGnomeCynicalGnome Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    The persistance shouting, energy and vibrant jingles (although he spits all over them, urk) must appeal to children on their ways to school. They even have that young caller speaking on air! Breakfast's hyperactive characters most likely become a part of their routine, despite them always being off.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If londons Magic ever does go national id hope it gives BBC2 finally a run for its money as a decent alternative. If it was on FM nationally it would clean up. I think so much of 2s success is due to the lack of decent alternatives on FM in much of the country
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    I have said before Evans is too hyper for me can't abide by him. I have no idea how he gets such good ratings although RAJAR is pretty iffy.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    If londons Magic ever does go national id hope it gives BBC2 finally a run for its money as a decent alternative. If it was on FM nationally it would clean up. I think so much of 2s success is due to the lack of decent alternatives on FM in much of the country
    Yet in London Radio 2 is streets ahead of Magic.

I can see how Evans is not to everyone's taste but give me Chris over Dr Cheese any day.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he just gets excited when discussing his interests which raises his voice which he doesn't realise that he's actually speaking down a microphone. I wonder if speaks loud on the phone in Private? My grandfather used to shout when he spoke on the phone. I Don't think they mean in, unless it's slightly deafNess or loves to talk over people. It can be perceived as a class of rudeness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Give me Magic any day over Evans. Pity its no longer on National DAB.
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bh21 wrote: »
    Is it maybe just me . but this mornings Chris Evans show is awful . the love in between Chris . David baddiel and Billie Piper is cringeworthy to say the least . its all aren't / weren't we great/cool . slipping back into the end of the radio 1 and tfi era I think . cars money time off . will probably get slated for my view but just wondering if others thot the same

I have good news for you-starting on monday august 4 he's on his summer holidays and Sara Cox is sitting in :)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Yet in London Radio 2 is streets ahead of Magic.

I can see how Evans is not to everyone's taste but give me Chris over Dr Cheese any day.

In London BbC2 share is 11.8% versus 17.9% nationally so the stronger more professional locals In london do significantly dent Bbc2's popularity. If they were national on fm I think you'd see radio 2 pegged back by a least 1/3 compared to where it stands today
  • Options
    bh21bh21 Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I have good news for you-starting on monday august 4 he's on his summer holidays and Sara Cox is sitting in :)

Excellent news , will look forward to that , although is that the sound of the Richard allinson fan club I can hear furiously typing away
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bh21 wrote: »
    Excellent news , will look forward to that , although is that the sound of the Richard allinson fan club I can hear furiously typing away

Seems the boss was very impressed with Sara's stint last week so it looks like she could be the default breakfast stand in from now on!

But Richard Allinson fans needn't worry.he'll probably get to sit in for Vanessa Feltz :)
  • Options
    Ben2259Ben2259 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The persistance shouting, energy and vibrant jingles (although he spits all over them, urk) must appeal to children on their ways to school. They even have that young caller speaking on air! Breakfast's hyperactive characters most likely become a part of their routine, despite them always being off.

Exactly what this country needs between 6:30 and 9:30. An overall vibrant, friendly voice that is upbeat and has variety at the start of the day, with a bit of quirkyness too.

On the topic of him shouting, isn't it better he has passion for something than just providing blandness and dullness at the start of the day? Chris seems to hit on interesting topics too.

He wouldn't have the listening figures if his show wasn't worth listening to and I think in 2013 he had a record, something must be going right.
    I just wish he wasn't off so often, but I don't mind Sara Cox if she becomes the regular stand in as I may have pointed out in another thread.

A post above criticized this mornings interviews, with Billie Piper etc. I found it
    interesting and quite amusing how they got around referring to Rebekah Brooks.

Regards,
    Ben

EDIT: FIxed a couple of typo's
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems the boss was very impressed with Sara's stint last week

You seem to be either close to the "boss" or just having a few punts at predictions.
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Hits wrote: »
    Can't suit all the people all the time I guess. An awful lot of people seem to listen to him and enjoy it.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is Chris Evans is not right for Radio 2 too loud & too brash he likes the sound of his own voice too much, The response you will get from the beeb is oh he is popular & gives Radio 1 a good run for it's money? we are talking about the same corporation here competing with it's self just madness.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ugh bring back Richard Allinson
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I enjoy the show - a fun and lively start to the morning.

The fact that the ratings have gone up despite increased competition suggests many others do too.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has to be popular yes but not ratings driven which they are at present.
  • Options
    Jim_AFCBJim_AFCB Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Had the misfortune of being forced to listen to him the other day.

It was him who drove me off Radio 1 in the 90s.

All I can say is - thank god I live in the Solent area and therefore have Wave 105 available.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I note that some people moan about the lack of music. But Radio 2 was once described as Infotainment.
    Typically the show has 10 songs an hour,
    Today local Heart had nine songs an hour.
    Radio 2 had 5 minute news, Heart 2 minute.
    Radio 2 had variety, Heart just keeps playing Happy.
  • Options
    pamlandypamlandy Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    The bloke is like an off mic, hyper stimulated,strangulated Kermit the frog. Effin awful.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    I enjoy the show - a fun and lively start to the morning.

The fact that the ratings have gone up despite increased competition suggests many others do too.

me too I like Sara Cox too
  • Options
    doug italdoug ital Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    You're right Evans is truely awful in the morning.

If I want to wake up to that much noise I'd live in a tunnel on the M25!

My alarm clock goes off at 7, I listen to Moira do the news, then I imediately hit the off button.

BUT you can't argue with the listening figures, so I gues we may be in the minority!
  • Options
    stipey2stipey2 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Chris' show is ok Mon-Thurs but hate the Friday love in. Just how many times has Billie Piper been on now. I am not interested in listening in to Chris chatting to his celebrity mates. Not a patch on Ken Bruce.