Options

HELP Putting up a toilet roll holder

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK i thought this was going to be simple but not gonna be. I have no past experience in this at all, my first time doing this!

It's a toilet roll holder but there are no holes at the front. All youube videos have proved useless nearly all show some brackets used which this did not come with. It's a concealed fixing if that makes sense?

I've taken a picture of the back. Anyone have any idea how to do this !?
Do i have to put the screw backwords into the wall!? but how will i screw it in then>:(
Can i put up with Unibond, that seems easier!!!!!!! or will it come off?

Any help appreciated
Totally clueless.

2mpiviu.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    You could try twisting the part with the screw holes in whilst holding the rest still. Also look around the outside edge of the holder to see if there is a small grub screw holding the two parts together, it is possible that you may just have to gently prise the two parts apart but I doubt that.

If you do want to use no more nails sticky pads or something similar as long as the wall is good enough I would probably work.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The round and slotted holes are part of the support bit that screws to the wall, it will be separable from the larger visible bit of the holder, maybe by rotation. Try harder!
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Hi

That looks similar to my toilet roll holder, which is from IKEA. You will of course need to drill a hole (or holes) in the wall first, and then insert a rawl plug into the drilled hole if you've drilled into plaster. Hopefully there's an instruction booklet with the holder.

You then just need to detach the back part of the holder from the front, and then screw the back part onto the wall using the hole/holes you've drilled. The screw/screws go in the normal direction (not backwards).

Then you put the front part of the holder over the back part - there should be a little screw hole somewhere on the front part, and an L-shaped key which you use to tighten the screw hole so that it clamps over the back part.

I hope that all makes sense. Don't use unibond as it will fall off eventually. I was like you - a DIY novice - a while back, but now I can manage most tasks. You only really learn by having a go, but remember to be safe. Good luck!
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. No L Shaped key. No instruction booklet. The screws provided the normal way wont even go into the holes, ridiculous. Will try with the advice above.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Op if you still haven't managed to separate the two parts can you also post pictures taken from the other side of the holder and around the edge? Thanks.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get shot of it and buy a floor standing one......
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought of dialling 999?
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per others, somehow the front part will come of the backplate so you can screw that part to the wall. One tip though, you see that the two holes are different, one being slightly elongated. Drill the two holes in the wall as level as possible then screw the backplate on the wall but don't completely tighten the one in the long hole. Then you can swivel the backplate slightly to get it properly horizontal before final tightening and reassembly of the front part.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    I fitted exactly that type of holder at work a while back - there's a grub screw (or two) in the side of it. You loosen the grub screws and the mounting plate detaches.

You then simply mount the plate on the wall, noting that the sides of it angle (slant) outwards.

With the securely fastened to the wall you place the holder over it and tighten the grubscrews - these push against the slanting outer edge of the plate, forcing the holder tight against the wall.

It works far better than I imagined :D
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Just use Unibond or even a tube of Uhu from the £1 shop. I stuck my holder on a tiled wall 2½ years ago with Uhu and it's still there. I used screw hole plastic press-in covers to hide the lack of screws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Just use Unibond or even a tube of Uhu from the £1 shop. I stuck my holder on a tiled wall 2½ years ago with Uhu and it's still there. I used screw hole plastic press-in covers to hide the lack of screws.

Not going to work - because this type of holder places huge outward pressure on the wall connection.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Not going to work - because this type of holder places huge outward pressure on the wall connection.

It's going to hold a toilet roll...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's going to hold a toilet roll...

No - because as you tighten the grub screws it will pull it off the wall - so while it will hold a toilet roll, it would be on the floor while doing so :D
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    No - because as you tighten the grub screws it will pull it off the wall - so while it will hold a toilet roll, it would be on the floor while doing so :D

I imagine that he/she would 'glue'it to the wall without taking the backing plate off. So no tightening of grub screws needed. If they take the two bits apart then they are best to fit it with the screws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I imagine that he/she would 'glue'it to the wall without taking the backing plate off. So no tightening of grub screws needed. If they take the two bits apart then they are best to fit it with the screws.

Which would leave a large gap between the plate and the wall, making a very weak connection - why not just fit it correctly?.

The grub screws also need to be very tight, as that's all that stops the holder rotating.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way glue would work on such a thing, there is no surface area to speak of.

As for the idea it's holding a toilet roil and there is no weight..., the weight of the holder itself is significant when they are made of metal.

A lightweight plastic holder with large surface area on the back might work with glue, assuming the wall surface was appropriate.