Girlies, a quick personal question...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
Forum Member
✭✭
I recently went for a smear and the nurse said she thought my cervix looked normal ish but because it bled on touch and was a bit painful for me (a lot more than normal) she decided to send me for a colposcopy. It is just a precaution and whilst I am pleased that they are on the ball, I have never had one before and wondered if anyone has and what to expect. I am sure it is degrading and intrusive as these things always are but what else should I expect? I think they will do the whole lot, even though the results of the smear have not come back yet (it's more to look at my 'bits' than the cells). do they pick up on 'diseases like thrush too? I know this is a bit graphic, but as you can all imagine, I am dreading it and having recently been diagnosed with anixiety, this is not helping. Cheers.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't advise myself, but there was a thread on this last month, so might help a bit

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=541001&highlight=colposcopy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing i always remember to do whenever i go for a smear is to wear a long flowing skirt, so that you can take your pants off without being completely naked. Also it means that you can kind of tuck the skirt around you whilst your being examined so you don't feel too exposed. I don't know how invasive the colposcopy will be, but it might help. Im sure everyone will be very professional, so try not to worry about it too much. Hope everything is ok for you xxxxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batmobile2 wrote:
    I recently went for a smear and the nurse said she thought my cervix looked normal ish but because it bled on touch and was a bit painful for me (a lot more than normal) she decided to send me for a colposcopy. It is just a precaution and whilst I am pleased that they are on the ball, I have never had one before and wondered if anyone has and what to expect. I am sure it is degrading and intrusive as these things always are but what else should I expect? I think they will do the whole lot, even though the results of the smear have not come back yet (it's more to look at my 'bits' than the cells). do they pick up on 'diseases like thrush too? I know this is a bit graphic, but as you can all imagine, I am dreading it and having recently been diagnosed with anixiety, this is not helping. Cheers.

Yeah your smear will show if there is thrush. i too have been to colposcopy it is okay it isnt the greatest thing in the world but its nothing to worry about. Good luck :D
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to lie on a bed with your feet in stirrups while they look up there with a big machine that looks like a big pair of binoculars that you get at the seaside! It's not really any worse than a smear but you might feel a bit daft with the machine and your legs up in stirrups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    definitely wear a long skirt or you will have to wear a gown which exposes your bare bum! The 'machine' described above is a camera which transmits images to a television screen that the doctor can see - likeliehood is you will be able to see it yourself too.
    Hope that helps.