Windows 8 to arrive by late October, Microsoft says

1303132333436»

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Duplo tiles? Where have I heard that one before? Oh, here, about 100 times.

10 times, in fact. I've told you a million times, you shouldn't exaggerate! :D
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I really don't think the Start Button and the ability to bypass Metro is coming, even with Sinofsky gone.

It's not actually that bad once you're used to and they've gone all in with WP8/Xbox Dashboard/Surface.

Add to that, the new head of the Windows division - Julie Larson Green - is actually the person behind the interface. She's also the person behind the Office ribbon interface. She was the one who pushed for the Start Screen design. Sinofsky just signed off on it. Its unlikely she would have been put in charge if Microsoft wanted the new interface dropped in favour of going back to the start menu.

Instead, I expect we will see the Start Screen and WinRT evolve with time. The start screen will gain the ability to run in snap mode, meaning it can be reduced to a bar along one side, just like WinRT apps. I could see that making a good compromise to those who don't want the desktop obscured when bringing up the start screen. I also expect to see the start screen become capable of spanning across monitors and WinRT apps being capable of running simultaneously on different monitors.

Further down the road, I expect to see WinRT expanded to allow for apps to be run in windows (as opposed to full-screen only) and the entire desktop depreciated in favour of a "new" desktop that only runs WinRT applications. Backwards-compatibility will be entirely handled through in-built virtualisation of sandboxed applications, keeping legacy deadwood (and viruses!) locked away in a virtual hole and completely separated from the OS.

Interface overhauls to the start screen environment I expect to see rapidly, with a maximum timeframe of one update per year. Major changes to WinRT to run as a desktop environment won't occur until Windows 9 in three years time.

That's the way I expect it to run, anyway.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's more about Sinofsky's exit:

Bill Gates Agreed with Ballmer: Sinofsky Had to Go
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of a way to stop Windows Live Photo Gallery from being able to open CR2 files and Window Explorer showing a thumbnail for the CR2 files?
    I'd like to open CR2 files exclusively in Adobe Photoshop like it did in Windows 7.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a way to stop Windows Live Photo Gallery from being able to open CR2 files and Window Explorer showing a thumbnail for the CR2 files?
    I'd like to open CR2 files exclusively in Adobe Photoshop like it did in Windows 7.

On the start page type default prog and you can change the file association as you could in win7
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    On the start page type default prog and you can change the file association as you could in win7

I just had a look and Photoshop is already set as the default for opening .CR2 files.
    If I open the .CR2 files they will indeed open in Photoshop but if I view the .JPG file next to it in Windows Live Photo Gallery and click next' or 'previous' it will also view the .CR2 file whereas in Windows 7 it would skip it and go on to the next .JPEG file.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any option in WLPG? I can't help with that as I don't have it installed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Is there any option in WLPG? I can't help with that as I don't have it installed.

No, I can't find an option.
    I think this annoyance and a couple of other ones make it tempting to switch back to Windows 7.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Here's more about Sinofsky's exit:

Bill Gates Agreed with Ballmer: Sinofsky Had to Go

HA HA HE HE :D:D:D

All aboard the Titanic! errr I mean Windows 8!

:D
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    HA HA HE HE :D:D:D

All aboard the Titanic! errr I mean Windows 8!

:D

I was in PC World looking at the new devices they have in. On the counter opposite was a couple having a demo on a Windows 8 Laptop. What made me laugh was when he said "how the hell do you work this thing" - she said "its a bit fussy that part" which must have been the Start menu. Although there were a few positives about the games and apps for kids etc.

The assistant was very helpfull however and was giving them a good demo but they walked away to the mac table (they didn't hang around there for long) and I had a play.

I now have the final on the home PC. The desktop side of things is great - a refined Windows 7 but the Start menu mess bolted on is a Joke. Search for example pees me off something cronic. I also hate the back and forth and inconsistencies between Start and Desktop.

They tried to simplify Windows but have actually made it more confusing.

They need to sort A LOT out in SP1.

Windows 8 will sink i'm afraid. - glad it was £25
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    USA Today have another article knocking Windows 8, which makes me seriously doubt their neutrality. FWIW here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/11/14/poll-shows-us-consumers-hesitant-windows-8/1700585/
    There's one very interesting statistic in the article, if it can be believed: "about one-third of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP users who are ready to buy a new personal computer say they intend to switch to an Apple product."
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    USA Today have another article knocking Windows 8, which makes me seriously doubt their neutrality. FWIW here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/11/14/poll-shows-us-consumers-hesitant-windows-8/1700585/
    There's one very interesting statistic in the article, if it can be believed: "about one-third of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP users who are ready to buy a new personal computer say they intend to switch to an Apple product."

350,000 people responding is a big sample size even if the survey method is not the best.

16% of US repondents were planning on buying a new device soon and 68% of those were going to buy a Windows 8 PC (10.88% of all respondents) - sounds about right for the PC replacement cycle.

Out of curiosity I ran the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor on my Windows 7 PC's and, apart from a USB3 driver issue, it warned me that some of my software is not compatible, some of it is very expensive (Adobe) to upgrade - so a £25 OS upgrade would turn into a huge bill.

Obviously I will be sticking with Windows 7 on those PC’s.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity I ran the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor on my Windows 7 PC's and, apart from a USB3 driver issue, it warned me that some of my software is not compatible.
    The Upgrade Advisor has always been very pessemistic, so I'm guessing most software will be fine. The only problems cited in these forums so far have been with some drivers and specific utilities for OEM hardware. Anti-virus is always a problem for a new OS.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    The Upgrade Advisor has always been very pessemistic, so I'm guessing most software will be fine. The only problems cited in these forums so far have been with some drivers and specific utilities for OEM hardware. Anti-virus is always a problem for a new OS.

Adobe confirmed what the Upgrade Advisor said
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its such an idiot idea to put a touchscreen interface on a desktop OS (or even a laptop).

I already get the screen wipe out if I see a dot on my screen, the idea of great smears across it is horrifying.