smart dvd player suggestions please!

Guys, I have a new panasonic smart tv which doesn't play some of my NAS movies (twonky media server running on NAS) too well, jumpy picture. These movies play fine on my PC. I would like to get a blu ray dvd player and wondered if I got a different make it might perform better with my collection that is on my NAS.

I suppose that different players support different video formats, any reccomendations of a unit that can handle a wide range of formats would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm looking to rip my dvd collection onto the NAS, anyone done this? Which software is best?

cheers

Tony

Comments

• iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What TV have you got ? 2013 6 / 60 series or a 2012 5/50 series How are you connected to your network ? I have seen some smart TV's that are connected by wifi both Pana & Samsung that judder or buffer but they are perfect when hard wired
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Samsung BD-E5500 (Currys/PC World £70).

Along with Netflix/Lovefilm/Youtube (and tons of other apps), it also has the Plex media server app, which is basically fantastic (IMHO anyway :)).

I rip my DVDs to MKV using MakeMKV, and so far they have all played just fine.

An added bonus with Plex is that once you have it set up, you can use it with tons of devices. I'm toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi to build a cheap wireless Plex client for the bedroom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    TV is a TX-P42UT50B, 2012 series I guess. Wired connection to router. Jumpiness is repeatable when movies are played from usb stick as well as from NAS, hence my deduction that the TV is not capable of playing them properly.

cheers

Tony
  • IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jittlov wrote: »
    An added bonus with Plex is that once you have it set up, you can use it with tons of devices. I'm toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi to build a cheap wireless Plex client for the bedroom.

A little off topic but you might be interested in Rasplex http://www.rasplex.com/ It looks interesting but it is still under development.
  • IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eatmorebeans, I will but in a second recommendation for the Samsung BD-E5500. I've got the D5500 and this works well with both DNLA and Plex network media.