Options

Talktalk Speed Keeps Dropping

:mad:talktalk speed keeps dropping getting disconneted
tryed to get out of my contract , talktalk told me i have to pay £539 for the remaining 24 mouths £299 of that was for youbox i had free. :eek:

Comments

• Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always read the small print i guess...
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    What have you/they done so far to diagnose the problem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    What have you/they done so far to diagnose the problem?

I am sure that someone on this forum can help you get this sort.

Infinidim :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    done main socket test still 3.21 then rang talktalk 50 mins on my mobile cant use house phone while they do test.
    then told me to leave router pluged into engineer test socket over night .
    they are looking into my problem at this very mo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    speed keeps dropping from 10 mbps to 3.21mpbs
    and with a youviewbox i need around 3mpbs ,
    if you ask me its to do with DLM needs switching off and profile update i tested new router old router main switch engineer test socket all still 3.21. i am only 1 mile away from exchange should be getting 10 mpbs . ok my main switch is by back door and only place i can put pc in dinning room with 10m line.
    your telling me that could be my problem.
    i thing is because we lived here for 15years and someone was here about 5 years before us and we never had new line or box put in still the old line and box. maybe i need new line put in dinning room thats just about 4 meters away my out side box. has my phone line goes right around the house to back door
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you ask me its to do with DLM needs switching off and profile update i tested new router old router main switch engineer test socket all still 3.21. i am only 1 mile away from exchange should be getting 10 mpbs . ok my main switch is by back door and only place i can put pc in dinning room with 10m line.
    i thing is because we lived here for 15years and someone was here about 5 years before us and we never had new line or box put in still the old line and box. maybe i need new line put in dinning room thats just about 4 meters away my out side box. has my phone line goes right around the house to back door
    I assume by "engineer's test socket" you mean you have removed the lower half of the faceplate on your master socket to reveal the hidden socket behind it?

If so and assuming your house is correctly wired that should eliminate any extension wiring you have and connect you directly to the incoming line.

And just exactly how have to got everything connected up normally? Do you have the router next to the master socket and use a 10m ethernet cable from the router to the PC or is this 10m cable a phone extension lead so you have the router next to the PC?

If you are using a 10m ethernet cable to connect the PC to the router then that shouldn't be a problem. Ethernet can handle up to 100m without too many problems. If it is a phone extension cable then that could be a problem depending on it's quality. There is a possibility that a poor extension lead could pick up interference that affects the ADSL signal.

However if your router is plugged directly into the test socket on the master socket and you get the same performance then chances are it is external to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you are using a 10m phone line extension? that could indeed be your problem.

If you have to use long cables, leave the router near the master socket and run a 10m ethernet cable to your PC.
  • Options
    kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jittlov wrote: »
    So you are using a 10m phone line extension? that could indeed be your problem.

If you have to use long cables, leave the router near the master socket and run a 10m ethernet cable to your PC.

After reading this, I moved my new Fibre Optic Modem next to my phone socket, (fitted last Friday by Open Reach), done away with the 10m extension, and fitted a new 10m ethernet cable, to my TalkTalk router in another room, and gained almost an extra 3Mb download speed. :)

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok thats my problem i have main socket 10m lead to router will move router to main socket weekend then i will try again thanks guys
  • Options
    Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH i would just run with your contact and then dump Talk Talk and go with BT..

Talk Talk Routers are dire...
    After a year or so mine was useless..

Talk Talk are cowboys..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    TBH i would just run with your contact and then dump Talk Talk and go with BT..

Talk Talk Routers are dire...
    After a year or so mine was useless..

Talk Talk are cowboys..

We are with BT and our neighbour is with TalkTalk. We had similar contracts for broadband so the cable lengths and capability should have been the same as the TalkTalk DSL equipment is housed in the same exchange as the BT equipment. We were getting about 3 / 4 Mbps throughput better than our neighbours.

Now we are on Infinity option 2, so I can't compare any more.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    :mad:talktalk speed keeps dropping getting disconneted
    tryed to get out of my contract , talktalk told me i have to pay £539 for the remaining 24 mouths £299 of that was for youbox i had free. :eek:

You must discuss the problem with technical staff of TT and they will solve this i am sure. Definitely you can not break the contract as you will have to pay the large amount.
    So better is to put a complaint regarding connection break and get the solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You must discuss the problem with technical staff of TT and they will solve this i am sure. Definitely you can not break the contract as you will have to pay the large amount.
    So better is to put a complaint regarding connection break and get the solution.

I agree completely with what you say here "montywilliams". Raising a complaint with TT will start the processes of either getting it fixed or , if the worse happens then you get a "deadlock" letter from TT which you can take to the Ombudsman commission for communications. This process takes a while but it will then get the Ombudsman commission working on your behalf. It is surprising what happens to suppliers when this happens.;)

• Options
    Forum Member
    all great at moment speed back up to 10mpbs tt have completed a line test which has not detected a fault so tt have changed the profile to 15db and deactivated DLM and the line is now in sync at 12.8mb. great
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    ok thats my problem i have main socket 10m lead to router will move router to main socket weekend then i will try again thanks guys
    all great at moment speed back up to 10mpbs tt have completed a line test which has not detected a fault so tt have changed the profile to 15db and deactivated DLM and the line is now in sync at 12.8mb. great

Keep monitoring the line speed for the next week or so, as drop-outs and slowdowns can be very random and intermittent. It can sometimes look like a problem is fixed, but it can then reappear a few hours/days later.

If connecting the router directly to the socket has fixed the problem, it was probably due to a dodgy extension cable rather than just the length of it. Or it could have been down to a dodgy or incorrectly placed filter, which would have been eliminated when you moved the router.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Lets hope it stays fixed.

Keep us posted if you don't mind.