Options

Merlin - Series 3 discussion

Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Digi Spy has a couple of stories about Merlin so it's perked up my interest -

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s53/merlin/news/a235282/producer-reveals-new-merlin-details.html

God if they make us wait till series 4 for Arthur to finally know what Merlin is capable of...

Hopefully he means late in this series Arthur will see. Your thoughts? I love the show - I just want Arthur to find out so they can move the story on at last...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd probably save Arthur discovering Merlin's magic until either the series finale or at a later date. I think they might even save it until the last series. I'd like someone to find out though - maybe Morgana. Glad to see that Morgana's coming back - I think she's probably tthe fan-favourite and most intriguing character.

Only 3 months to go .. haha.
  • Options
    MelWMelW Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this returning. I would really like Arthur to find out but at least this interview confirms he won't anytime soon so I won't be waiting for it to happen. I do think that someone else needs to find out though - maybe Morgana or Gwen. In early Smallville I had to wait years for Lana to find out about Clark but in the mean time Pete and then Chloe found out. That was good as at least he had someone other than his parents to talk to and watching his back. Same could be said for Merlin really. Danger with a show like this is that putting it off could mean that it never happens.

Still looking forward to it anyway. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petels - I hope they don't wait till the last series (whenever that is) as they could do so many different storylines once everyone knows the truth...

Right now we've had 2 (soon to be 3) series of him hiding his powers and saving Arthur every week.. Time for something different...!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen is the obvious one to find out about Merlin because she will be conflicted, with her growing relationship with Arthur, whether to out him or not.

I really wanted Arthur to find out at the end of last season. When Merlin sent the Dragon away I wanted him to turn around and realise Arthur had seen it all. That one little touch would have made season 2 utterly perfect.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Is it my imagination, or did Morgana learn of Merlin's powers when she was going through a bad patch?
    I too agree that Arthur should find out this series, towards the end fair enough but don't leave it another year. I love the 'bromance' between these two - but it needs an extra kick!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think Morgana did find out about Merlin's powers, and neither did Morgause so we'll be going into S3 with just Gaius knowing ... I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also agree that Arthur should find out sooner rather than later, as there will be plenty of fresh story opportunities once that step has been taken.

I'm most looking forward to seeing what happens with Morgana this series, I've always found her journey particularly interesting. I'm going to have to refresh myself with the events of the last series though, am I right in thinking that Morgana doesn't yet know about Merlin, but he is totally aware of her powers and her possible role in the future (because I remember at certain points last series feeling quite annoyed at Merlin for not being a bit more supportive to her, when he of all people should have been able to understand her confusion over her powers). And Merlin poisoned Morgana didn't he, which is when Morgause whipped her away, so if Morgana remembers that whole incident I don't suppose she'll be too impressed with Merlin for that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That one little touch would have made season 2 utterly perfect.
    Completely agree!

What's the name of that little boy as well? The powerful one. He has used more magic than Merlin has in the whole 2 series, so I hope the producers put that right too and start to give Merlin some powerful stuff ;)

I loved the first ever episode when Merlin moved stuff in the room with just his eyes, whereas the later episodes he seems to have to use his hands to direct the magic - hope they change that too.

Yes I'm picky :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Completely agree!

What's the name of that little boy as well? The powerful one. He has used more magic than Merlin has in the whole 2 series, so I hope the producers put that right too and start to give Merlin some powerful stuff ;)

I loved the first ever episode when Merlin moved stuff in the room with just his eyes, whereas the later episodes he seems to have to use his hands to direct the magic - hope they change that too.

Yes I'm picky :)

Mordred... yeah, I don't think it's right that he's more powerful than Merlin!

I know! I do find it bizarre that for some reason he can't do as much now as he did then! They did just seem to forget!

Can't wait for the Morgana-ness this series! There certainly wasn't enough last year, but photos from the filming in France make it seem like she has a lot more to do this year :D

For anyone who doesn't already know, Livejournal is a great place to find Merlin spoilers. Especially the communities Merlin_tv and Camelot_love.

Amazon made a rather large mistake in revealing the synopsis of the first two episodes! Be warned, they're fairly big spoilers!
    This is a spellbinding, action-packed book covering two exciting episodes of the hit TV show! A year has passed since Morgana disappeared, and Uther's desperate attempts to find his ward have almost destroyed his army. Following an ambush in an eerie forest, a bruised and bloody Morgana emerges, claiming to have been held prisoner by bandits all this time. When Uther begins to have terrifying visions, Gaius and Merlin realise that Morgana is a traitor and has the king gripped by a dark enchantment. Merlin releases Uther but there is worse to come: Cenred has joined forces with Morgause and a huge army is swarming towards Camelot. As Uther struggles to recover, Arthur must take charge. In the midst of the battle, Morgana quietly slips down to the vaults and unleashes a gruesome army of skeletons; she wants vengeance for the deaths Uther has caused in his quest to destroy all magical beings. Merlin confronts her, and as they fight he almost reveals his own gift. While her back is turned he uses magic to collapse the ceiling, knocking Morgana unconscious. As her spell breaks, the skeleton army crumbles and Camelot fights on to victory. To Merlin's horror, Uther mistakenly hails Morgana as Camelot's saviour - and the king is more determined than ever to keep the forces of magic from his gates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ wow big spoilers!!!

PeteIsGod wrote: »
    No, I don't think Morgana did find out about Merlin's powers, and neither did Morgause so we'll be going into S3 with just Gaius knowing ... I think.

didnt lancelot acknowledge merlins powers before he left?
    and isnt he returning?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    h007 wrote: »
    ^^ wow big spoilers!!!

didnt lancelot acknowledge merlins powers before he left?
    and isnt he returning?

Yeah he did, and I hope that he is.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad there's a Season 3 thread here, as I'm really looking forward to the new series beginning, now.

I am so tempted to click on those spoilers but I know I'll regret it if I do..so I won't ;).

I hope someone else discovers Merlin's magic this series, preferably Gwen, as it would add an extra dimension to her character. I wouldn't mind Arthur finding out too, but I think it would be far more interesting if he found out but didn't let Merlin know he knew; this would make for an edgy kind of tension between the two, which in my opinion the show now needs (it would be too samey - and potentially overkill - to keep doing the whole servant-master comedy UST thing week after week :rolleyes:)

As far as I understand, Morgana didn't know for sure Merlin had magic, but she may have had an inkling about him, a kind of intuitive knowledge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I hope Mordred comes back, hes my favourite because of the connection with morgana who is the most interesting character out of them all.
  • Options
    soapyjoessoapyjoes Posts: 9,790
    Forum Member
    Any news on yet on a broadcast date?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Series 1 started on 20 Sept 2008. Series 2 on 19 Sep 2009.

If it follows same scheduling pattern it will start on Saturday 18th sept this year. If they start it o this week the BBC can screen all 13 episodes and have one Saturday free because Christmas, which up to now has been the norm.
  • Options
    soapyjoessoapyjoes Posts: 9,790
    Forum Member
    Thanks!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guest star spoiler:
    Asa Butterfield who plays Mordred posted on his twitter account a few weeks ago that he is unable to do series 3. It's not a verified account but it looks like it's real to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Also, with regards to casting, according to his twitter account
    tom ellis of Dr Who/Miranda, etc, fame

is going to play a 'baddie' in series 3!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    didnt really pay much attention to this during its run on the bbc.

kinda got the impression it was "kids program" in the way that doctor who is.

but whilst on holiday in france a few months ago, we happened to go to pierriefonds, and they filming this in the castle, and also filming some jousting on the "football pitch". and since i have come back and watched both series, and it is quite good fun, looking forward to series 3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We just have a little over a onth to go for series 3 of Merlin to arrive. Why aren't we getting any news on it?? Anyone has anything????
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    We just have a little over a onth to go for series 3 of Merlin to arrive. Why aren't we getting any news on it?? Anyone has anything????

That's assuming it will follow the previous air dates. Might not show till later in the year, who really knows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to discussion earlier in the thread I think it would be okay for Arthur to find out about Merlin's magic. As long as he was happy with it. The same issues would be there about keeping the Merlin's abilities secret , they'd just be hiding them from Uther
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's assuming it will follow the previous air dates. Might not show till later in the year, who really knows.

They already confirmed it would air in the Autumn. That means they have to fit the 13 episode run before Christmas, so I think we can safely assume it will start round about the same date that the previous two series started. If you look at the calendar I think they can only allow themselves one extra week late start in order to fit it in entirely before Christmas. I doubt very much that they will split the series with christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BFI are showing preview screenings of eps 1 and 2 of series 3 on Sept 5th which is around the same date they showed the screening of the first ep last year. Series 2 then started a couple of weeks later.
    So hopefully they're following the same pattern as last year and the series will air a couple of weeks after the BFI screening.