Options

Online payslips

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
Forum Member
My nephew works in retail and the company has just started changing their payslips from standard paper payslips to online versions accessible through a secure server.

My question is that is it legal to do so? I've done a quick search on the internet and found a few links that mention it should be a written payslip. However, the same links query but never get an answer if an online version is classed as written.

Does anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is legal sadly. My company has done it. They do issue an annual paper P60 which I believe they are legally obliged to do.

I got problems when I applied recently for a new mortgage for my extension - the bank would only accept paper copies as proof of income, and would not accept print outs unless signed by a legally qualified person - fortunately my bosses wife was able to sign them for no charge, but one solicitor I contacted wanted £15 per payslip, and I needed to provide 36 of them, which meant I would have been nearly £500 out of pocket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply DMN. Shame it's not the one we were looking for :)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Easier and more convenient, and cheaper for the company
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Easier and more convenient, and cheaper for the company

I'm sure they are for the company, and being in the position I am if my employer wanted to do the same I would probably stand by it as I trust them to do it correctly.

Our problem is that they are not much help when he needs them for ID as he's only 16, and his employer have not managed to get his pay correct in the last 6 months since he started.

Oh well, he'll just have to live with it for the time being.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew companies did that. so what happens if the person don't have internet access?

Thankfully, I don't think the company i work for will do that, but I can understand that it would be a lot cheaper for them to do so.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I never knew companies did that. so what happens if the person don't have internet access?

Allow them access at work? Obviously it makes sense where most of your staff have internet/intranet access at their desks anyway, not sure how it works in retail without everyone queuing to print off their slips.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Yes it is legal sadly. My company has done it. They do issue an annual paper P60 which I believe they are legally obliged to do.

Electronic P60s have been promoted since the 2010-2011 tax year.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/electronic-p60.htm

DMN1968 wrote: »
    I got problems when I applied recently for a new mortgage for my extension - the bank would only accept paper copies as proof of income, and would not accept print outs unless signed by a legally qualified person - fortunately my bosses wife was able to sign them for no charge, but one solicitor I contacted wanted £15 per payslip, and I needed to provide 36 of them, which meant I would have been nearly £500 out of pocket.

I was shocked when I was presented with a paper payslip when I changed to my current employer. My previous employer had supplied downloadable from 2001 onwards. Indeed, as our payslips were previously laser printed and posted it was be impossible to tell the difference between a local printed or head office printed payslip.

A lender shouldn't worry too much about "copy" payslips - as long as they exactly match the credits to the bank account.

(Which is why I continue to keep my No 4 salary account as paper only.)
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine on printing via my laser printer are indistinguishable from the same done by head office and posted as someone else above said. I've not had any problems with payroll being done this way.

However, many of my colleagues don't have PC's (even in this day and age) or are unable to access them at home for some reason. They can be printed at work if people want, but that usually involves the feeling that whoever is doing the printing is reading it in greater detail than necessary, so many don't do this and haven't had a payslip for a long time. One of the guys who trusts me got me to log on at home and print his out as he was applying for a mortgage and he didn't want the office seeing his payslips.

I know that it's easier for head office, but IMHO it should be the law that individuals should be able to choose if they are posted or online because if most companies are like ours, they don't consider people who cannot do it online for many reasons and don't want nosey parkers in the office seeing private information. Also, if people are having to pay others to certify their payslip is genuine, then the employers should (by law) be forced to cover that cost.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had our pay slips on line for ages, cant see what's wrong with it or why people want everything in "paper" still, if you do just print it!
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are assuming everybody as access at home to payroll. They simply do not. Some only have smartphone access, some have no access and some don't know how to use it. Not everybody has a computer.

Also, I'm computer savvy but our lot have disabled home printing as of this month for some reason!
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Thankfully, I don't think the company i work for will do that, but I can understand that it would be a lot cheaper for them to do so.

We have the option to request paper copies. You have to opt in though, or you just get online ones. We can just print them or request them from HR like I had to do when I had to have three for my mortgage application.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    We still get paper ones but we can have the electronic of we want , I prefer paper ones , I am like a kid at Xmas tearing off the strips at the side and hoping to be surprised by the amount of overtime I have got compared to what I should get , nearly always get a little more than I should :grin: