Jake Wood just has 'it'

madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
This is my opinion of course but to watch him is like watching a person ooze charisma, being able to turn their hand to anything. I saw him in a war film once, also being able turn his talents in the serious arena. I like him....one of these men who can just capture attention wherever he goes. The way he carries himself is helping his dancing flourish.

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree even though I don't watch EastEnders.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I agree even though I don't watch EastEnders.

Me too. And by way of Eastnders he started with a significant negative.

Also I like Janette Manrara a lot in her personality and dance.

But I won't vote for them until the final - meanwhile Simon and Sunetra get my votes.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the stand out of the likely winners for me. Don't watch Eastenders either and with all my prejudices on display I have to say he seems too good for it. I like that he's not in a perpetual frenzy of cuteness on ITT. Plus he looks a bit rough. He's a cool kind of character.

Not voting for him, mind. Just like his demeanour and appreciate his aptitude :cool:
  • luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have my vote, I like his no no-nesense attitude.
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I had written him off as a potato-faced thug, based on the launch photo and hearing he was in EE.

Now, I feel bad about pre-judging - he has indeed got that "je ne sais quoi" and I hope he goes far in the competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Definitely the stand out of the likely winners for me. Don't watch Eastenders either and with all my prejudices on display I have to say he seems too good for it. I like that he's not in a perpetual frenzy of cuteness on ITT. Plus he looks a bit rough. He's a cool kind of character.

Not voting for him, mind. Just like his demeanour and appreciate his aptitude :cool:

That's a huge plus. He treats it as a serious sport in which to improve - like football or cricket. Donny' comment "the coolest man in the room" was spot on.

Not just aptitude but also attitude.
  • anothermianothermi Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know Jake from a hole in the ground but by week two he had completely won me over.

I like his sense of humour (dry), his love of family, his quiet intensity and, of course, his dancing.

Seems he's also into running which, hopefully, will give him stamina for the more energetic dances.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch EE and had never heard of Jake before Strictly. At the launch show I have to admit I didn't give him much of a chance, but how can appearances be? Never judge a book by a cover is just so true.

When he smiles he really has a lovely face; not handsome in the accepted way, but warm and kind. And he's proved he can dance. I just hope some viewers don't start to regard his as 'too competitive' as has sometimes happened in the past when a celeb seems to be taking the dancing seriously.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake plays a ladies man in EastEnders, and on paper it doesn't make sense, but he has a charisma that you can't quite put your finger on, that is actually very attractive. He also has very expressive eyes. :blush:

I didn't expect him to be half as good as he has been on Strictly though! From what he said on ITT, he's had quite a quiet schedule at work so far which will pick up soon, so I'm really hoping that he doesn't do a Scott Maslen.
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jake. I like his attitude and personality. I think his dancing is far better than I expected.

However, I'm not as impressed by his ballroom as others are. He's put in some respectable performances, but he lacks all those things that Len mentioned last week and so the technique doesn't yet live up to the styling there. But looking forward to seeing him improve.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just aptitude but also attitude.

.....but not much altitude.....:kitty:
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....but not much altitude.....:kitty:

Ha ha! Love it! :D:D
  • LoracShaktiLoracShakti Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    First post but just have to add that Jake is my favourite!! I wasn't to sure when he was announced but after catching a glimpse of him in the launch show I could see he had some rhythm. and have loved all his performances to date. Looking forwards to the Jive this weekend - the hips should certainly be moving again :)
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Yep I agree with all above. I had no idea who he was although I do try not to judge books by covers. There have been some who went for an early bath unfairly IMO in the past because they didn't fit the 'looks like s/he can dance' criteria.

Even I can see spots where technique can be polished up but its only week 4 and for each and every dance so far he just gets it. :):)
    Forum Member
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I like Jake. I like his attitude and personality. I think his dancing is far better than I expected.

However, I'm not as impressed by his ballroom as others are. He's put in some respectable performances, but he lacks all those things that Len mentioned last week and so the technique doesn't yet live up to the styling there. But looking forward to seeing him improve.

No indeed I can believe this to be the case. As you know I am not expert in ballroom but I could have picked mucho holes with his salsa footwork. That said it was week 2 and he absolutely nailed the general feel of it and there was more right than wrong.

But the beauty of this is that we will get to see progression hopefully. .
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I don't watch EE and had never heard of Jake before Strictly. At the launch show I have to admit I didn't give him much of a chance, but how can appearances be? Never judge a book by a cover is just so true.

When he smiles he really has a lovely face; not handsome in the accepted way, but warm and kind. And he's proved he can dance. I just hope some viewers don't start to regard his as 'too competitive' as has sometimes happened in the past when a celeb seems to be taking the dancing seriously.

This. I don't watch EE either and didn't know him at all before the show. I really like him and he and Janette are my favourite couple.
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO he has the personality of a Block of Wood and appears a bit too desperate. The fact that he brought his kids on in week 2 was pathetic imo.
    Forum Member
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    IMO he has the personality of a Block of Wood and appears a bit too desperate. The fact that he brought his kids on in week 2 was pathetic imo.

Well speaking for myself only I am not judging his personality only his dancing. :)
  • anothermianothermi Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Saw what you did there - even though I disagree. :D

Both he and Sunetra had their kids on last week, week 3. I don't remember him even bringing them up on week 2? Having said that, from what we've learned about the level of scripting imposed by production , I doubt either of them had the kids on as a ploy of any kind. Most of the production decisions are pathetic, imo. I just don't carry that over to the slebs.
  • gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He ticks all my personal Strictly boxes - clearly a novice, clearly has talent, non-gushy, dry sense of humour.

Never seen EastEnders either. But if I could pick a perfect Strictly competitor, the photofit would look like Jake.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him much better than I thought I would too. I freely admit to taking against him due to the EE connection as I loathe soaps.

He is exactly what SCD is for me. As is Sunetra.

And yes, he is an attractive man. Much more attractive than Thom or Mark (to me at least)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As an actor I am sure he can ham up the "personality" like everybody else and go all touchy feely.

What I like is that he does not.

"desperate", "ambitious" are positive aren't they? The British economy would be a lot stronger if ambition, determination and keenness was engendered at an early age..
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never thought him attractive on EE when I catch it but he has been a revelation on Strictly and I see the attraction now. The other night on EE when he popped a cigarette in his mouth it was strictly a Bogart-esque moment. :blush:
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's one of those guys who will be good at almost anything. I'd heard of Jake's character on EE, but hadn't a clue what he looked like.

Off the dance floor I don't find him attractive or charismatic. In fact, he comes over as very reserved and a touch intense... you know quiet, moody and dangerous! :D

But on the dancer floor it's a different matter. He's compelling to watch and so far I've hardly noticed Janette, which is saying something when the celeb is male. He appeals to me as a SCD celeb more than the others because his level of talent was such a shock.

I know I will look forward to seeing him dance week in week out.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch Eastenders and I,ve always liked him but knew from interviews he was nothing like his character, I did think he would be quite good on SCD I know he is very fit and runs marathons etc but no way did I expect him to be this good.

Oh and I,ve always found him attractive, he definetly has it :)