42" 3D TV only £329.99 - Anyone heard of Celcus

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think this needs moving to a different sub-forum? Maybe Home Entertainment section?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    It appears that the brand is only sold through Sainsbury's as I looked at it in my local the other day. Personally though I would look at a better branded TV like this 40" Sony on sale at Argos although it is not 3D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298611/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+TV.htm

The only thing is finding one in stock at this price.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think this needs moving to a different sub-forum? Maybe Home Entertainment section?

I put it in here with refererence to people wanting a 3D TV for Sky, who might not look at the Home Entertainment section.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwelliott wrote: »
    It appears that the brand is only sold through Sainsbury's as I looked at it in my local the other day. Personally though I would look at a better branded TV like this 40" Sony on sale at Argos although it is not 3D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298611/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+TV.htm

The only thing is finding one in stock at this price.

As it's not 3D, it's not comparable to the one i linked (having already got 3 normal LCD TV's), it was the 3D against the price that made it interesting, if you don't have £600 spare (which i don't), it was more of a dabble into 3D if you like, just wondered if anyone had seen one.
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a set assembled by a British company called CELLO. http://www.celloelectronics.com/

It is badged as Celcus for Sainsburys, and has resurrected the old name MURPHY to badge it for various home shopping companies.

The electronics are from Cello but the screen is a LG

I have bought a MURPHY one (just got it on Friday).

It almost set itself up it was so easy.

Picture

Slightly matte screen so no problems with reflections.

I spent about 10 minutes adjusting colour/contrast/brilliance etc. to suit my tastes.
    The 2d :- SD very good. HD Superb.
    As you would expect from LG

3d is simply stunning easily comparable to sets costing over a grand.

Sound.

The only drawback !! it is NICAM.
    But again a few minutes playing with the equaliser has sound I am happy with at the moment.
    Others may wish to take their sound from a cinema sound system.

For this price it is an absolute steal.
    So get in there ! fill your boots !

Great set for the money

Anything else specific you need to know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AVTECH wrote: »
    Anything else specific you need to know?

Sounds interesting.

What sort of glasses does it use, and how easy is it to get spares (you say it is an LG screen, does that mean you can use LG glasses - saying that, not really up on 3D, can you use any glasses from any manufacturer if they are the right type, or do you always have to buy the brand for your TV)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Sound.

The only drawback !! it is NICAM.
    But again a few minutes playing with the equaliser has sound

I presume this is just for ananlogue terrestial broadcasts though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glasses are the passive type (4 pairs supplied) the same as used in the cinema spare glasses are readily available e.g. currys £10 for 4 pairs.
    This especially suits me as I have previously had eye surgery and have a plastic fixed focus lens in my right eye, the active type (powered) glasses give me headaches.

Nicam >>>> no the set cannot handle Dolby Digital so if you want that you would need to use a separate sound system as I said above.

Oh one important thing I had to find for myself :-

The code for a SKY remote is 0065 , this is not published by manufacturer or Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not doubting what you're saying AVTECH (well I guess I am), but "3d is simply stunning easily comparable to sets costing over a grand"?

Usually I'd give supermarket sets a wide berth, but is this really a decent set??
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following the breakup of Rank Bush Murphy

The Bush brand name is owned by the Home Retail Group who operate Argos and Homebase stores and are also listed as a partner by Cello.

The Murphy brand name is owned by the Shop Direct group who own Littlewoods stores and catalogue services and the old Shop Direct catalogues Additions Direct, Abound, Great Universal, Marshall Ward, Choice, and Kays

It looks like Cello are also supplying these televisions to the Dixons Retail Group (Currys) under their own brand Logik,, Marks and Spencer and SEG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    Not doubting what you're saying AVTECH (well I guess I am), but "3d is simply stunning easily comparable to sets costing over a grand"?

Usually I'd give supermarket sets a wide berth, but is this really a decent set??

Like yourself I have previously been wary of supermarket sets (good enough for bedroom), but I bought this set as my first dip into the waters of 3d, reasoning if it was no good it would be cheap enough to give to my son who is just moving into his own place this weekend.
    HE IS NOT GETTING IT !!!
    This is good enough to be my main TV for a few years at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »

It looks like Cello are also supplying these televisions to the Dixons Retail Group (Currys) under their own brand Logik,, Marks and Spencer and SEG

Interesting about being stocked By M&S Ihave now looked at their website and the model Number mirrors the one I have (Similar price too)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glasses are the passive type (4 pairs supplied) the same as used in the cinema spare glasses are readily available e.g. currys £10 for 4 pairs.
    This especially suits me as I have previously had eye surgery and have a plastic fixed focus lens in my right eye, the active type (powered) glasses give me headaches.

Nicam >>>> no the set cannot handle Dolby Digital so if you want that you would need to use a separate sound system as I said above.

Oh one important thing I had to find for myself :-

The code for a SKY remote is 0065 , this is not published by manufacturer or Sky.

Code is on their website - http://celcustv.co.uk/contact-us#faq-title-105

What are the Sky remote codes for your products?
    There are a number of codes that can work for the Sky remote, please try the following; 065, 132, 133, 374, 245, 100, 544, 098, 115, 207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting about being stocked By M&S Ihave now looked at their website and the model Number mirrors the one I have (Similar price too)

Just ordered one as a Murphy from Littlewoods. Cost is £499 but the are currently doing a 10%off for England dfrawing a match and 25% cashback if you "buy now pay later" bringing it down to £337 to be paid in June next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ordered one as a Murphy from Littlewoods. Cost is £499 but the are currently doing a 10%off for England dfrawing a match and 25% cashback if you "buy now pay later" bringing it down to £337 to be paid in June next year.

Great deal !!!

Enjoy it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great deal !!!

Enjoy it!!

Looks like I got the 10% off just before they withdrew the voucher code :D

Strange thing in the description:
    The Murphy 42" lets you enjoy full HD content on a large screen at great value. With full HD resolution, watch your favourite programmes in crisp and clear detail. In addition enjoy 3D content from your living room, 4 free pairs of glasses are included. Freeview is built in so you can access digital TV without a set top box, you can also watch movies or view pictures through the USB port.

Includes 8 pairs of 3D glasses
    Guess I will have to complain when only 4 arrive and get a credit. :rolleyes:;)
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local Sainsburys had several different Celcus TV's on offer in the run up to London DSO,bought the 19" set for the kitchen,was easy to set up,delivers quality pictures,a little slow to warm up when you switch it on but,that aside,I'm happy with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I got the 10% off just before they withdrew the voucher code :D

Strange thing in the description:

Guess I will have to complain when only 4 arrive and get a credit. :rolleyes:;)

When I ordered my set it stated 8 pairs, but I only got 4, internal packaging only designed for 4 so Im sure it was not a miscount on packing, so I am waiting a response from the supplier. I have also now discovered that poundland do these glasses so not really worried.

The blurb on the website I got it from said :-

2 HDMI
    1 scart
    1 USB

In fact it has :-

4 HDMI
    2 scart
    2 USB

Plus on rear :-
    component YPbPr
    PC YPbPr audio in
    RCA out for sub woofer
    S/PDIF Coax out
    PC vga input

Plus on side:-
    CI slot
    Headphone jack
    Component Video and audio input.

In all the set offers 11 different input options
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AVTECH, out of interest, what TV did you have before this one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32 inch Sony about 6 years old, can't remember the model (son in law took it away this morning for grandsons room)

FYI it was originally bought in Cyprus (don't ask:confused:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Looked at Littlewoods, but there are some differences:

•2 Hdmi sockets
    •2 Scart sockets
    •1 USB port

Although AVTECH says in post 19 his was advertised the same, but came with 4 HDMI and 2 USB (although Sainsbury's website does say 4 HDMI).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked at Littlewoods, but there are some differences:

•2 Hdmi sockets
    •2 Scart sockets
    •1 USB port

Although AVTECH says in post 19 his was advertised the same, but came with 4 HDMI and 2 USB (although Sainsbury's website does say 4 HDMI).

I suspect Cello have changed the specification part way through the production run. Littlewoods' descriptions are not always accurate - as is obvious from them stating they supply 4 pairs of glasses at one point and 8 at another. AVTECH's is also a Murphy branded set. They are currently quoting delivery for 26 June which is either down to their "two man delivery" stream or them being low on stock. Hopefully the latter so I get the latest version fresh from the factory.

Incidentally, I suspect that the Tesco Technika 42in 3D set is another variant, this time with 8 free glasses. Wonder if you get more with 5 gallons of petrol.:D

The other possible OEM manufacturer, Vestel, also make a 42in 3D set (sorry about the Turkish) but I do not think this is the same as the position of the LED/remote control receptor on the bottom left bezel appears to be a give-away for the Cello electronics whereas the Vestel's is centred.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,274
    Forum Member
    I can't comment on the 42, but I called for a Chinese tonight - and there was a new 32" Celcus there - it was a really crap picture :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't comment on the 42, but I called for a Chinese tonight - and there was a new 32" Celcus there - it was a really crap picture :p

Didn't you offer to do a quick calibration while you were waiting ? :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,274
    Forum Member
    Didn't you offer to do a quick calibration while you were waiting ? :)

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear :p

And to be fair, I wasn't waiting very long at all.